Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Hello to all

Hi there from the great white north! New here. I have been looking into setting up a small show and trying to figure it all out. I have downloaded a couple of the light software programs. I have been using youtube to try and figure it out. Not having much luck getting through my head. If anyone has a program they recommend I would appreciate it. Anyway.......

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Hello to all

hello if we can be of any help justy ask Welcome to Christmas Carolina.

are you sure we checked every bulb?why is that one pixel staying on
    www.thelightsonpurserroad.com
    4756 rgb channels for2016

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

@Southbound. Welcome to the -o-b-s-e-s-s-i-o-n- hobby!
    I think the software depends on what you see for your first show. I like to recommend vixen 2 for low channel count LED or incandescent string shows. The video tutorial for vixen is pretty good. Google vixen 2 video tutorial and it will be all good. If you envision pixels in your first display, look to xlights or vixen 3. There are good getting started videos for both. I know keith did some xlights stuff and sean has a ton talking about specific features. Xlights changes frequently so sometimes there is newer stuff but the basics are always there in one form or another. Check the wiki for some suggestions on videos. http://www.nutcracker123.com/wk/inde...itle=Tutorials
    For vixen 3, look for their website. Video Tutorial | VixenLights
    Good stuff there.

I have been away from LOR for too long but I would not suggest that software anyway. Other programs (madrox, jinx) are generally not for use with christmas light specific features.

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by southbound8 View Post
    Hi there from the great white north! New here. I have been looking into setting up a small show and trying to figure it all out. I have downloaded a couple of the light software programs. I have been using youtube to try and figure it out. Not having much luck getting through my head. If anyone has a program they recommend I would appreciate it. Anyway.......
    Welcome. If you are just going to run plain old AC lights strings, and you are looking on the cheap, then Vixen 3 is probably the most common freeware program. I am not a Vixen 2 fan because it does not have an upgrade path to other popular software (such as Xlights). More about that later. And for the hardware the Renard or Lynx controllers are the lowest cost. Renard uses its own protocol that is similar to DMX but not exactly. Lynx is industry standard DMX .. or you can modify the firmware on Renard. You can find Renards on DoItYourselfChristmas.com and you can find Lynx Express on
    DiyLightAnimation.com. They come as kits through group buys but there are none going on now. Typical is around $80 for 16 channel kits or $100 assembled. If you post that you are looking for some, people will post back and sell you some. If you don't want to build the kits yourself, then be sure to state that you are looking for assembled and working ones. You will need a USB to Renard adapter if you go that route. Or a USB to DMX adapter if you go Lynx.

If you want simple and the best quality for plain old AC lights, then Light-o-Rama (LOR) controllers are the way to go. LOR costs 2 to 3 times more expensive for the hardware but they do make it simpler for those who are non technical. $150 each is a good price for used 16 channel LOR, and a lot more for new. LOR sells their own software and they make their own USB to RS485 adapters.

If you want to get going with pixels, then Xlights is the best freeware software. And lots of discounts going on right now. Many ended in January but still some through Feb. Those get ordered in China and arrive in 3 to 5 months. WAY too much to tell you about pixels and choices. You'll also see pixels on the LOR site, but at many times the cost of do it yourself pixels. And Xlights blows them off the map when it comes to what you can do with the pixels.

Also when I mention freeware software, they are free to download and use. But the developers work long hours and only get paid through donations. Don't forget them if you use their software. If you look at the cost of the LOR software plus the annual fees of around $40 a year, that should give you an idea of what you should donate if you go the Xlights route. I hope this gets you started. It's just the tip of the iceberg.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 with multiple Falcon Pi Players

256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX, 2 E681 & 4 E6804 Sandevices, 1 PiCap Falcon Controller,
    Mighty Mini RGB Spots, Pixel Strips, Pixel Nodes, CoroFlakes with Pixel Modules, 10" RGB Ornaments, 2 pixel matrix 16x25,
    TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Pixel RGB RBLs, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control