Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Hello - Newbie here in Cary!

HI everyone,

Just starting this adventure and would like any advice you are willing to offer . Fresh start, absolute zero and I have the goal (pie-in-sky perhaps) of running this year. We primarily have a mix of solar and string LED lights, no incandescent. We want to keep it simple and build up over the years. Interested in using Vixen program and Renard controllers. Seeking group buy opportunities for pretty much anything to keep cost down. We hail from the Christmas Vacation and Charlie Brown generation so needless to say, we're gonna do it right and we're gonna do it big (at least eventually).

Thanks for having this forum!
    Cherie
    Likes AnniesSS liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Hello - Newbie here in Cary!

Quote Originally Posted by 5ShepsNC View Post
    HI everyone,

Just starting this adventure and would like any advice you are willing to offer . Fresh start, absolute zero and I have the goal (pie-in-sky perhaps) of running this year. We primarily have a mix of solar and string LED lights, no incandescent. We want to keep it simple and build up over the years. Interested in using Vixen program and Renard controllers. Seeking group buy opportunities for pretty much anything to keep cost down. We hail from the Christmas Vacation and Charlie Brown generation so needless to say, we're gonna do it right and we're gonna do it big (at least eventually).

Thanks for having this forum!
    Cherie
    Hi Cherie and welcome to CC. We all have your same passion here .. but with different twists of course. We have a local club named TASL (Triangle area Synchronized Lighting). We have two or three all day Saturday meetings per year. Mark your calendar for the next TASL on august 13th. We also have workshops .. such as last weekend when we met all day Saturday to learn how to move our displays to tiny Pi computers that cost $35 ! I am sure there will be some more TASL workshops, so keep an eye on new posts here so you can consider joining in. We have random training sessions which have been mostly Light o Rama in the past. But we also have a bunch of Vixen users in TASL and have discussed doing a Vixen class if there is enough interest. One of our members is around 150,000 channels using Vixen in North Raleigh.

I used to live in Cary off Cary Parkway near Kildaire Farms road, but I recently retired and moved to Clayton. however, the largest quorum of members are in the Cary area. Feel free to post for anything you are looking for or think you need help with !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control
    Thanks 5ShepsNC thanked for this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Welcome to cc lots here to learn and good folks to learn with and from.
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Welcome to the CC

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Cherie -

Welcome! And since you mentioned it.....there's a Renard SS group buy going on over at DIYC

Renard SS Group Buy

I have 5 of the SS24's; highly recommend them for low power displays (no more than maybe 2-3 100 incandescent strings per channel, you can do a lot with that) - and Vixen compatible.

They are NOT pixel controllers, though; they are individual AC channels.

Pick a couple of songs you want to do, and work on them. Don't jump around from song selection to song selection a lot.
    Thanks ggusta thanked for this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thank you! I saw the group buy and plan to get in on it. Looking at the SS24 and so I will need to request a Renard SS 24 BOM, Renard SS 24 PCB, Renard SS 24 Heat Sink, right? How many controller kits would one spare parts kit service?
    Last edited by 5ShepsNC; 03-13-2016 at 01:58 PM. Reason: did not have it completely correct

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Have you tried to include some movie clips in your light show? Not finding much on forums/internet to help figure this out but I may not be searching right...

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thank you! I saw the group buy and plan to get in on it. Looking at the SS24 and so I will need to request a Renard SS 24 BOM, Renard SS 24 PCB, Renard SS 24 Heat Sink, right? How many controller kits would one spare parts kit service?
    welcome!!

We use vixen and renard ss24, it's definitely your best value.

Yes, you need a bom a pcb and heat sink (heat sink not required but highly recommend. I don't know if anyone goes without a heat sink) Are you planning to run this off of a pc?

We started out with 2 ss24's (fr a total of 48 channels in year 1) then went to 96, then 160, now 288. Once you get the idea you're only limited by your creativity. We didn't even use an fm transmitter until this past year. (FM made a huge impact on traffic/visitors)

the group buy is for an unassembled kit, you will need to solder and they have a great wiki to construct it. And you'll also need a cg2000 cable enclosure.
    Clayton NC, Gregg Gusta & Son Ben, Was converting to LED lights gave up, went back to incan!! not a single pixel in sight!
    Like us on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/gustafamilychristmas

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Have you tried to include some movie clips in your light show? Not finding much on forums/internet to help figure this out but I may not be searching right...
    Sam Johnson @Samj435 in North Raleigh has been experimenting with Vixen and videos. Hopefully he can chime in here.

I have two built 24SS boards that I might sell off for cost. They both ran one night and then died. I never did figure out why. They ran fine for all my testing for a couple weeks and then didn't survive the first full night. I also have a couple kits but need to verify that I still have all the BOM parts. Some of our local members bought some of my spare kits and I gave them all the individual parts bags that had all the parts identified. So that last two BOMs were all mixed up in a baggie. I have the heatsinks for them all. I currently use about 20 LOR controllers, but moving to the Pi player. I have chosen to move to the Lynx Express DMX 16 channel controllers instead.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I definitely recommend the heat sink, not just as a heat sink but also as a board strengthener. The board is less flexible with the heat sink installed, which means it's less likely to break a trace.

The only parts I've replaced on my boards are the RS485 driver chips, the microcontroller chips (PICS), and triacs. And I probably wouldn't have had to do that if I had "tinned" the outlet pigtail cords before installing them into the screw terminals. I didn't see that one or two of the stranded wire whiskers reaching across to each other and shorting out the 110v output. Lets the magic smoke out real fast.

Keep in mind you will need an enclosure and cords for each board. I learned my lesson on the cords with the LOR controllers I bought before that - I now use SPT wire and vampire plugs; seems to be the lowest cost for something reliable. I have also used extension cords I bought from Dollar Tree - cutting the plugs off, using the outlet end for channels.

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Lots of Cary people here!! Roughly what part of Cary are you in? Just in case we have another "local" meet one day in your area, we can include you...
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I think Cherie @5ShepsNC lives within a few houses of Dariusz.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Hey Cherie, welcome to the group. It looks like you got some great information already. I live off of Chatham Dr between Cary Parkway and Old Apex. Like everyone has said we have quite a few Cary people here and more adding all the time. We look forward to helping you get going. I'm a fellow Vixen 3 user here. I really like Vixen3's sequencer. I also use XLights for some things and even have some LOR sequences.

Joe Tripp

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Hi Scott - I'm in Scottish Hills (around corner from Dariusz). So, our neighborhood will be hopping this Christmas. Yes, please do include me in upcoming local meets.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks Joe - yes, can definitely use all the help y'all want to offer. I downloaded vixen 2.1.1.0 and am working through my first song. So far, so good. I wanted to get a handle on this version first before upgrading to vixen 3 (looked more complicated to me from a beginner standpoint).