Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Post Hey CC also from Cary, NC

Hey everyone, Joe here. Seems there's quite a presence from Cary - awesome. I moved here about 4 years ago from N. Raleigh and was in Wilmington before that. My wife has always been big into outdoor decorating for Christmas. Myself growing up or family was very reserved. So now I can go crazy and make up for lost time! Anyway our outdoor display is typically regular lights on the house, some trees, and railings. I put out lots of blow ups (easy to store) and a few blow molds and candy canes. I'll post a picture below with some of last year's front display. We also decorate the side and back yard some since it can be seen from another road.

We've been adding more every year but there's always something missing. The wife and I would always marvel at the houses with animated lights and say every year that we are going to figure out how to do that. Well this is my year. We discussed this right after Christmas and she said 'figure it out Joe'. So, here I am. I've been waiting for the LOR sale announcement and it's finally here. I'll pick up a controller kit or two along with the LOR software tonight. Over the next month I'd also like to pick up a pixel controller and get my feet wet with a few small projects this year. Some little trees (dumb pixels) or perhaps a few arches. I like the look and simplicity of those 2811 3-led module arches SWood made as a test.

I've tried to read and watch as much as I can over the last few days. I'm good with my hands and not afraid to build anything including boards so this should be fun. I work with computer software and technology all day and make wine at night as a hobby. I also was heavy into electronics a few years ago. Making circuits on bread boards, etching a few boards, and the like. I have an Extra class Ham license but I haven't done much with it since moving from Wilmington years ago. KG4WMP.

Anyway, thanks for all the knowledge to help the new guys like myself. I'll take anything I can get!

Joe Tripp

-christmas-2013.jpg

Carl B Zachary

Default Re: Hey CC also from Cary, NC

Welcome to CC Joe.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Great intro Joe .. and welcome to Christmas Carolina. Your story is "familiar" to many of us. We all started out small, wondering how all this works. Then things just kept growing each year. It's a fun addiction. There are a lot of members here in the Triangle area who share their ideas and talents. We look forward to meeting you in person !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Hi Joe and welcome to Cary Christmas...

Rob, K1WAW

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Hey, Joe, welcome!

Any chance you'd be going to the TASL meeting?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by RobertG View Post
    Hi Joe and welcome to Cary Christmas...

Rob, K1WAW
    Either of you or Joe @Tripplett ever chat with the International Zoo Keeper in Richmond ? He is my cousin Bill Hoyt WA4IZK I was working on my novice license with my dad as a kid (1950s) but didn't put in enough time on the Morse Code. My cousin quickly got his novice license originally WN4IZK .. then got his general license later in the 1960s. He's retired now and travels around to the field meets for fun.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stevens View Post
    Hey, Joe, welcome!

Any chance you'd be going to the TASL meeting?
    Yep. I will be there.

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    Either of you or Joe @Tripplett ever chat with the International Zoo Keeper in Richmond ? He is my cousin Bill Hoyt WA4IZK I was working on my novice license with my dad as a kid (1950s) but didn't put in enough time on the Morse Code. My cousin quickly got his novice license originally WN4IZK .. then got his general license later in the 1960s. He's retired now and travels around to the field meets for fun.
    Possibly but I wouldn't recall it. Like I mentioned above I was very active in Wilmington, NC back in the early 2000's. I went to every Field Day, showed new members how to build and tune home made antennas, bought some equipment to set up my own repeater (never did set that up), etc. I wanted to get into Morse code so I studied and upgraded. I also did some packet work. Once I got married and moved in with my wife it kind of all fell to the side. I haven't even keyed up in the last 5 years so... I did renew my license a few years ago and have the 2m radio set up in the garage mostly for listening to SkyWarn and such. I have a 13 yr old step son. A few years ago I tried to get him interested in it but it wasn't his thing. So many advances in communication and smart phones lately have made things like auto patch and packet not as much fun and exciting as it used to be. I still enjoy it though.