Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Denny Cole, aka Kidcole

By day I work for IBM managing development projects for IBM's leading blade server product line. That eats up the first 60 or 70 hours of my week. And then I dive into my family time and hobbies.

My wife Helen is an RN and delivers babies. She's assisted for nearly 1000 deliveries in Raleigh (Rex Hosp) and has also delivered 30 or so on her own. She loves it and she plans to work a bit longer once I retire (hopefully by 2014) .. ! We have 4 kids, Stacy 27, Nikki 24, Morgan 20, and Bobby (oops) 11. Also one grand daughter Courtney.

I am into many hobbies and my nickname KidCole was born because I am known for doing stunts and crazy things at home and at work. I stay very active and it's rare to see me sitting down. So my friends think I act like a kid most of the time. That's fine with me !!

Automated Christmas houses have interested me for the last 4 or 5 years. I started building up the "look" of my home in Cary by mounting lights on long cedar strips. Each year I have added more lights and have continued to mount them all nicely. This lets me store them in the off season with less damage, and also lets the lights go back on the house each year in a consistent fashion. Finally in 2009 I bought 96 channels (6 LOR Controllers) and joined this group. I have 64 channels assigned to the house and grounds, and 32 channels assigned to my 18 foot megatree centerpiece. The megatree is obviously new and just starting to be built as of the end of September. I hope I end up with some time for software ..

I have a pile of other hobbies. I am a licensed soccer coach with the top state-level license and I am currently coaching a mixed team of 11 year old boys and girls. I have been into boating all my life and my vows included promising to love honor and buy boats. The mother ship is a 56 foot Horizon Yachts named Midnight Splash, with about 700 square feet inside. She has capacity for about 60 people with 4 bedrooms, living room dining area, fullkitchen and two full baths. She also has a 15 foot Seadoo jetboat on the back. I update the Seadoos often to stay fairly current. The latest one is a 215hp 4-stroke screamer that keeps all the kids happy. My wife and I like to entertain, so perhaps we'll have a Raleigh LOR Group Outing early next year, to celebrate my first year with a Christmas House. I envision I will have some great stories about traffic jams by then .. :-)

I have been collecting antique outboards for about 25 years and I have several restored antique boats including a pair of 1957 class-B Utility hydros. My famther built them in the 50s, and then I fully restored them in the early 1990s. I run them locally most years in the Lake Wheeler ACBS meet in September, and I travel around to various AOMCI wet meets to run them with my son Bobby. Next summer Bobby turns 12 and will get his boating license. Then we'll be running them both together, just as my father and I did back in the 60s ..

I have been working on starting my retirement business for the past few years and have started a company named KidCole Models. I will be selling scale models of rare antique outboard motors. They are only 6" to 8" tall but completely made of cast metal - - and using modern laser scanning and SLA plastic printing, the level of detail in my models is striking. I have castings completed for several hundered motors so far and I also have completely sold out about 5 years of production, even tho I have only shipped a few. I am currently building a website to show all the prototype pictures, but people have been signing up like crazy since I did one large antique boat show a year ago. I have had a guy working for me for the past couple years in Rochester New York to design the parts in software, make the molds and cast the parts. I can't wait to retire and do this about 15 or 20 hours a week.

I am a musician and DJ. And I also have an extensive Karaoke collection of about 10,000 songs. The family like to sing when we're letting our hair down (hmmm, I don't have much hair these days) .. I have been DJing weddings and parties for about 18 years, and I also do a little music recording for friends. I had a full recording studio and played full time ina band back in my 20s .. but I was mostly in it for the sex in those days. Ha !

I am a YMCA Indian Guides and Indian princess finatic. I have been in the program with my kids for 23 years and still going strong with activites every month. We do a lot of camping, white water rafting and other scouting-like activities, except with father and child (together). I love the program so much I took on an extra "son" several years ago when my good friend (Randy Taylor) passed away unexpectedly. His son Zach is the same age as Bobby and the schools have even kept them in classes together as part of Zach's support system. He such a great kid I just had to tie him into our family and the YMCA Guides. Zach does most everything with us now, and many of my friends just think I have two boys ..

I used to play a lot of golf and ran a few leagues. But these days my wife gets in more rounds than I do. We'll play more when we are both retired.

I got the woodworking bug from my father and today I have a full wood shop. Some metalworking tools but not as full featured as my wood shop. I am a slob when building so my shop is usually a mess. It drives my wife <Helen> crazy.

Denny Cole
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -denny-cole-dj-karaoke.jpg   -denny-seadoo_small.jpg   -denny-swoosh1.jpg   -denny-swoosh2.jpg   -denny-ymcajackets.jpg  

-houseboat-island.jpg   -midnightsplash1.jpg   -new-years-eve-08-008small.jpg  
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 !

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Denny Cole, aka Kidcole

Nice to have you aboard...lol..I know that's bad...

I look forward to seeing your display....maybe we will see the first floating Carolina event in the future...
    Jen...

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Cool Jen. Are you doing a local christmas House or are you actually in Myrtle Beach ?
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 !

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I live right outside of Myrtle Beach in Conway...

I'm not putting out a big display this year...just a few inflatables and blow molds.
    Jen...