Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Clayton, Looking to learn about LOR, Total Newb & Son, Inc.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Hello from Clayton, Looking to learn about LOR, Total Newb & Son, Inc.

I have a 12 year old that is completely addicted. We built a 15' megatree this year (came out fabulous) and now he has presented us with a Christmas list and after Madden 13 I was expecting a kindle or Mini-IPAD, he listed a 32 channel light o-rama, tomato plant cages and the mini lights for which to put on them to make trees!!! Not. Kidding.

We spent Saturday after putting up the lights, etc in the yard where he showed us youtube videos of people's displays. One after the next after the next after the next. Goodness knows I am to blame, but these LOR's are like $250 for 16 channels and who knows what else to go along with that to make it all happen.... HELP !!!!

(I am slightly addicted myself, it won't take much to make the 15' megatree into a 20' tree next year.)

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Hello from Clayton, Looking to learn about LOR, Total Newb & Son, Inc.

welcome to the madness just hope he stays interested he can be of great help at put up and tear down time if i may be of any assistance just drop me a pm im in craven county
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Hello from Clayton, Looking to learn about LOR, Total Newb & Son, Inc.

Welcome again. I replied to you on another post this morning, so I wont repeat that one. It sounds like you already have the Chistmas bug .. welcome aboard. Let us know your name. There is a signature feature here, if you want to use it ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Carl B Zachary

Welcome to Christmas Carolina.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    Welcome again. I replied to you on another post this morning, so I wont repeat that one. It sounds like you already have the Chistmas bug .. welcome aboard. Let us know your name. There is a signature feature here, if you want to use it ..
    I have poked around for a few minutes looking for the signature section of the account profile/settings. I must be poking in the wrong places.

Anyhow, if anyone would like to take some time to show us how lor works that would be great.

Send PM.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by ggusta View Post
    I have poked around for a few minutes looking for the signature section of the account profile/settings. I must be poking in the wrong places.

Anyhow, if anyone would like to take some time to show us how lor works that would be great.

Send PM.
    Most of us are buried in getting our own shows ready. I will be glad to give you some LOR lessons sometime in December. I live in Cary if you want to drive over sometime in a couple weeks. You could bring your laptop and your current sequences. But right now I'll be working solid until Saturday night when my show starts.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

You're in trouble now. Two members in the family addicted.

LOR is a good solid product, well supported, and well documented. There's a lot of local users that can help you with it.

However, if either you or your son have soldering capabilities (or can develop them; I've been soldering since 10 years old) you can really cut costs of each channel. You can put together two Renard SS-24's (48 channels there) for less than the cost of one LOR CTB16PC. The RJ Lynx Express compares favorably with power handling capabilities to the LOR devices (8 amps per channel; the Renards are 2 amps per channel.)

The LOR software is good and solid and has a lot of tutorials. LSP (Light Show Pro) is another software package that is not quite as easy to use but can do more. Vixen is a free package; it can do everything that LOR does, but it's a bit rougher at it and takes more of a learning curve.

Go to the display locator link on the main page here; Carl has done a wonderful job of helping us show the world where we are located. YouTube/Vimeo videos are great, but the real thing is better.

We are likely to have a "TASL Tour" December 26 - we get together in a bunch of cars and go to each others displays for a song or two per display. It's not so great for the appreciation of each site but more of an idea and a how-to swap. Come to the sessions we have during the year; sorry, you've missed them for 2012.

Plan for group buys starting in January. One thing many beginners don't realize is how much SPT-2 wire costs and how much you use. That's the extension cord wire. This can cost you more than controllers. Plan to hit up the big box stores when they discount their merchandise.

You ARE going to be overwhelmed.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Hi there again, yes, overwhelmed is an understatement in the extreme. Kidcole, I do not have ANY sequencing products, experience or knowledge. Totally clueless. ''Jack what you described sounds intriquing. Perhaps with all of what we ALL have going on at this time of year, maybe doing something when it's more of a downtime for you all is best so that you can take the time to go over some REALLY basic stuff. I honestly have a sense that my son will have a quicker aptitude for all of this than I will. I am a 47 yo 'thinker', my wife come from a family where they are all electricians, including her father. I think my son inherited more of that knack than I have. Although some basics, like soldering do not intimidate me.

Yes, I know each year, Jack, that I spend more in extension cords each year than I do in lights. I hear you! Looking forward to getting more involved.

Gregg

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Welcome, where at in Clayton are you. I'm at the 40/42 area. I'm not doing a big display this year. I have been wishy washy on what I wanted to do. But I do have the LOR software and will be more than happy to sit down with you and show you some basics. With that being said, These guys on here are in a whole NUTHA level than me. All my videos have been removed from you tube except one. If you do a search for "let's go canes" it should be one of the first few videos.
    These folks on here are awesome and give great advice, that's why I only have a few posts. Lol. All I have to do is just read a little and all my questions get answered. Lol. Just let me know
    Dave Hileman

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Welcome Gregg.
    I've been christmas lightning for several years and with the help of the great folks on this forum I am getting ready to open my first LOR season this Friday. Let me know any questions I can answer. As an LOR newbie, I understand the overwhelmed feeling. Like Dave, I listen and follow along along alot without posting too much. I am starting with 96 channels, 20k lights, fm transmitter and feel like I have some good beginner advice. Email or PM me.

Austin

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by aproctor View Post
    I am starting with 96 channels, 20k lights, fm transmitter and feel like I have some good beginner advice. Email or PM me.

Austin
    Austin, just a mere 96 channels!! I think 32 would overwhelm me at this point, Actually I am not sure if 2 wouldn't be more than I can handle. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    Welcome, where at in Clayton are you.
    Dave Hileman, I am in riverwood.

I will post some pics from 2011. The only changes so far are that we added the 15' megatree (huge impact for relatively mild effort, imo) and the train that was on the roof got blown off - and I miss terribly. The loss of that one thing taught me a lot about what makes good and not so good displays.

And we have all the traditional little doo dads that the vast majority of people do seem to create nothing but a semi-coherent hodge podge. That is what we have going on for the most part that I want to gradually get away from. It's nice, but with less work (way too hard to put these things together for what they yield in impact) and more thought and some know how of the sequencing technology, it could be so much more than this scattered, over-priced and very arduous visual cacophony.

When my son showed us all the youtube videos, the most impactful ones were simple but powerful elements of large items carefully put together. Arches, stacks trees and some easily identified elements and shapes, like trains and stars and snowflakes.... and careful composed sequences. I need to work smarter and less harder.

I am so relieved to have found people nearby willing to provide some guidance. Because I can't get from here to there without getting comfortable with technology that I am completely ignorant of at the moment.

We're all very busy, it's the holidays (remember?!!?? :-) ) and even when it isn't we have families, commitments and oh yeah...jobs...well unless I hit the powerball tonight. So I am very mindful and appreciative of how valuable anyone's time is that assists me and my son.
    Last edited by ggusta; 11-28-2012 at 09:45 PM. Reason: added quotes, cleared up some other junk

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by mpurser View Post
    welcome to the madness just hope he stays interested he can be of great help at put up and tear down time if i may be of any assistance just drop me a pm im in craven county
    He was a phenomenal help putting up the mega tree and was able to stay amazingly focused. He is a normal 12 year old, so when something holds his attention, then whatever that is gets MY attention.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

OK 3rd try, maybe it doesnt like me putting links into a post or not, sometimes bulletin board software can get so feature laden it outsmarts the freaking users!

from 2011, no mega tree, i have yet to take a single photo this year in the hopes we can get our train back together at least in part and back where it belongs

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3S...G9UbGlacEk2Tk0
    https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3S...2RtRXZHT1lZWk0
    https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3S...VNpNGR0VEJzUXc

Carl B Zachary

Display pic look good.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Smile Re: Hello from Clayton, Looking to learn about LOR, Total Newb & Son, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stevens View Post
    You're in trouble now. Two members in the family addicted.

LOR is a good solid product, well supported, and well documented. There's a lot of local users that can help you with it.

However, if either you or your son have soldering capabilities (or can develop them; I've been soldering since 10 years old) you can really cut costs of each channel. You can put together two Renard SS-24's (48 channels there) for less than the cost of one LOR CTB16PC. The RJ Lynx Express compares favorably with power handling capabilities to the LOR devices (8 amps per channel; the Renards are 2 amps per channel.)

The LOR software is good and solid and has a lot of tutorials. LSP (Light Show Pro) is another software package that is not quite as easy to use but can do more. Vixen is a free package; it can do everything that LOR does, but it's a bit rougher at it and takes more of a learning curve.

Go to the display locator link on the main page here; Carl has done a wonderful job of helping us show the world where we are located. YouTube/Vimeo videos are great, but the real thing is better.

We are likely to have a "TASL Tour" December 26 - we get together in a bunch of cars and go to each others displays for a song or two per display. It's not so great for the appreciation of each site but more of an idea and a how-to swap. Come to the sessions we have during the year; sorry, you've missed them for 2012.

Plan for group buys starting in January. One thing many beginners don't realize is how much SPT-2 wire costs and how much you use. That's the extension cord wire. This can cost you more than controllers. Plan to hit up the big box stores when they discount their merchandise.

You ARE going to be overwhelmed.
    I really want to thank everyone so much for their encouragement. Last night my son and I watched the vixen tutorials on YouTube by a YouTube user named jaunemaillot (a cyclist? already we are friends!) The software does not intimidate me at all (yet!) however when he does his hardware walk-through I start to get a little nervous.

I am responding to this particular post since the YouTube user seems extremely engineering savvy and is also a Renard user. I think if I can develop a comfort level with the hardware I would overcome a lot of my apprehensiveness. By watching his hardware I come away with a couple impressions, 1. since his videos are 4 years ago, I am hoping there isn't so much mickey mousing needed at the back of the pc as he has at his (or maybe that is just him) because that is something I think I can screw up in a heartbeat. and 2. he seems a bit overkill on all his hardware. Of course, I am not looking to dive into this at least in the beginning to the degree he has, but there is a certain commitment that can not be done halfway. You're either in or out, even at 16 channels (or less although I have not seen less on a forum users signature).

My son is still very excited and wants to start making the tomato cage trees asap. Hardware and software considerations are all for next year.