Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello from Clayton, Looking to learn about LOR, Total Newb & Son, Inc.

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Hello from Clayton, Looking to learn about LOR, Total Newb & Son, Inc.

Gregg -

Be overwhelmed, but not to the point of not doing anything. I see you say "next year" - in your learning curve, that's probably a good idea. Tomato cage trees are reusable; it's a good start for even static displays.

A lot of the kit stuff and the commercial stuff has been cleaned up. Development boards always seem to be rats nets looking. You probably won't get away from wiring messes, though.

I would stay away from the controllers or interfaces that connect to a parallel port or a serial port, except perhaps for education purposes. Most of those devices will be low-density controllers, like 8 channels for the parallel port, just on/off, no dimming. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you want. Most of the Renard boards can connect to the serial port to start with, and when your density increases, you can switch over to a USB dongle or Ethernet interface.

If you want to do something animated this year, I'd suggest getting a GE "Lights and Sounds of Christmas" (aka a Mr. Christmas) which will give you 4 to 8 channels of synchronized lights, depending on which model you get.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Hello from Clayton, Looking to learn about LOR, Total Newb & Son, Inc.

There is a sequencing package that I see discussed on DoItYourselfChristmas.com called HLS. A lot of people seem to be moving from Vixen to HLS. I think it is also free. But if you decide to buy LOR, I can help you with software lessons during the off season. Next year I can help with whatever you guys want because I am not going to run my show in 2013. Family break ! We'll be back in 2014. I am creating a new announcement for my show that will tell people that we will run every other year.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

jack not trying to blast your suggestion about hls i try ed it months ago and never got the hang of it and i have seen on other forums some people are having it freeze up and other small bugs but thier are those who swear by it i myself am having good luck with lor in my view thay have the best tech back up quick response to questions and problims just my 2c
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

HLS looks interesting, but I wasn't up for learning yet another new program this year. LSP for me seems to have finally worked out.

But don't let any of this stop you from trying things out, planning big for next year, or just doing whatever. The intent of this hobby is to have fun, and give back at Christmas. Don't let it get to be more like a job than a hobby.

Keep the faith!
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by ggusta View Post
    I have a 12 year old that is completely addicted. We built a 15' megatree this year (came out fabulous) and now he has presented us with a Christmas list and after Madden 13 I was expecting a kindle or Mini-IPAD, he listed a 32 channel light o-rama, tomato plant cages and the mini lights for which to put on them to make trees!!! Not. Kidding.

We spent Saturday after putting up the lights, etc in the yard where he showed us youtube videos of people's displays. One after the next after the next after the next. Goodness knows I am to blame, but these LOR's are like $250 for 16 channels and who knows what else to go along with that to make it all happen.... HELP !!!!

(I am slightly addicted myself, it won't take much to make the 15' megatree into a 20' tree next year.)
    Ok your son cracks me up....I want his list as well! (someone tell my wife)

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    There is a sequencing package that I see discussed on DoItYourselfChristmas.com called HLS. A lot of people seem to be moving from Vixen to HLS. I think it is also free. But if you decide to buy LOR, I can help you with software lessons during the off season. Next year I can help with whatever you guys want because I am not going to run my show in 2013. Family break ! We'll be back in 2014. I am creating a new announcement for my show that will tell people that we will run every other year.
    My son spends ALL of his free time on Vixen. We need to learn some short cuts but we just got it up and running like a week ago (or less) .

After xmas we'd like to get some hands on with any experienced people with vixen/rennard. Especially putting the hardware together to make it all happen. Clueless! Just looking to 48 channels in 2013 (2X24 rennard). Need to get ready for whatever group buys and memebership requirements we need to take care of as well.

He is super excited to join in the fun and so am I and would like to get some hands on so we can assemble the hardware properly with as little angst as possible.

kidcole, I also sent a couple co-workers that live in your area your address so they can check out your show if they get the chance.