Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default New guy in Cary, NC

Greetings to all -
    My name is David Stafford and am VERY excited to get started this year converting what has been a growing static display the last few years into something a little more involved. I am very grateful to my new local mentors @kidcole and ScottM. for tipping me off to this site and the amazing community of expertise that is here.

I jumped into the deep-end with some LOR purchases - a pair of controllers and several CCR's, now I need to spend the time learning the software and planning the display.

Because I've always been a static yard 'o lights in the past,, I'm already preparing contingency plans should I not be able to accomplish all I hope to do this year. The basic idea is to have an all-white, all-blue and all-multi-color static display that hopefully could be used in-between sequenced songs, but gives me an 'in case of emergency - break glass' option of just toggling between 3 static displays at a fixed interval...

I'm hoping that there are some live meetups in between now and December to get to meet you in person and thanks very much for allowing me to join in the fun!

All my best -
    David

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: New guy in Cary, NC

Welcome David, I was at Denny's house a few minutes ago and your name came up. You are in the right place. Welcome to TASL too.
    Al
    Al

Carl B Zachary

Welcome to CC David.

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Welcome, David!

Contact robb3369 about something happening Saturday night (10/27). It's RSVP and may cause LOR sensory overload. Denny may have mentioned it.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Hey there David... I'm the other one in Cary, but since I do Halloween only (too much traveling in December), I can help you get things put together in my spare time.

I have a huge Halloween party tomorrow night that you are invited to (just let me know your coming). I only have two controllers and just jumped into the deep end with DMX both in the outside display and one inside as well. But depending on the weather, the outside may have to be cut back some. This year, I added much more in the house and EVERY room downstairs has been done up this year for the party.

Gotta run, lots to do for the party!!!

Welcome to my nightmare!

Rob
    Rob

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Hi David .. I am glad you joined up and posted your intro. There is a wide range of people here, from technical to very non-technical .. but all of them have light sequencing in common. And aas team we're able to get everyone up to their goals. You will fit right in. We are all amazed that you jumped in with so much technology. A dozen CCRs made into a 15 foot RGB megatree is nothing to sneeze at .. And a big challenge for your first year of programming. You can get a lot of help here.

Also keep your eyes posted for a couple things. 1 - I will be posting a signup for people to meet one evening at Starbucks just below Rex Hospital for some software training. I like to hold one beginner meeting each year. This will get you started some. My weakest point right now is the Visualizer, but I can help new folks to understand the file architecture and how to safe time with new songs (once you get your channels defined) .. Then we can call another meeting sometime in November to explore some more advanced stuff.

Mike Purser has jumped to the head of the class with the visualizer. And you will need this to define what your show looks like. Then you'll be able to watch the visualizer as you are creating your sequences. Mike lives a couple hours away, so he has created some really helpful tutorials .. Here is a link .. tutorial for visulizer I need to keep studying these myself. I have a very hard time distinguishing a "fixture" from a "prop" Right now my software shows a screamin ton of Fixtures and only a few props. I hope that is right .. I think like any software, the more we use it the better we'll get with it.

WELCOME ABOARD
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks to everyone for a welcome as warm as a garage full of SPT-2 dotted with incandescent C7's at full intensity.

(I guess maybe I do belong here - I can't think of anywhere else where I could get away with such a statement!)

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

thats ok david just think this way i can do this i can do this welcome cc
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Welcome!
    Shannon Wood
    XLights 4 User with 40,000 channels and 60,000 lights.
    Facebook | Vimeo | Twitter

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Welcome.
    I was a new guy not too long ago. Thanks to TASL and Christmas Carolina I was able to start my lights in first year.

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Dave -

It was good to meet you at Rob's party last night, along with upper GI and lower GI.

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Hey, David! Glad we could meet a few weeks ago! I'm assembling... well, actually rebuilding... mini trees today if you want to stop by. I left you a voicemail a few minutes ago. Holler and ill give you the address if you can make it.
    - Scott M.