Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Newbie from Indian Trail

Hey there,

My name is Lee and I am the typical FNG that we all love to pick on. I live over in Indian Trail (south-east of Charlotte) and know a little bit about synchronized lighting displays but have never done one myself. I have a very basic set-up of white lights on the house and more importantly permission from my wife to "do the whole dancing lights to music thing." I am ready to take my display to the next level and am looking for all of the help and advice I can get. I look forward to meeting some of you and learning from you all. So in short, hello and please take it easy on the "lighting virgin!"

Carl B Zachary

Default Re: Newbie from Indian Trail

Welcome to Christmas Carolina.

There are many folks here help.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Well Lee, you've come to the right place... I'm sure that if you have questions, someone here will have an answer for it...
    Rob

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Welcome .. There is a wide range for your next step. And lots of people can post ideas for you. It might help to start with your budget and what you hope to accomplish. Then we can point you to the controllers, software alternatives and lighting solutions that fit what you want to invest .. Hopefully you picked up on inexpensive light strings at the end of the season. Many of us think in terms of 4, 8, 12 and 16 sets (of various lights) in order to have moving effects.

Get Started Now:

• Draw a picture of what you want to end up with. Be sure to think about groups of lights moving left to right. And also include back to front. Creating space in both directions is the starting secret to getting a large effects with less lights ! The more channels you use in any one direction, the smoother the look (but also more expensive).

We can also point you to group buys for circuit boards and components, to build your own. You can go DIY for $2 to $3 per channel for lighter power loads. Or buy the higher cost stuff for $10 to $12 per channel to handle heavier loads (like strings of C7 and C9 bulbs) ..

Power planning is important if you include incandescent lights .. we can help with that.

Most of us use lower cost SPT2 wire with vampire plugs and sockets. It's a lower cost alternative to extension cords. It can handle plenty of power, and you can size the cables to exactly what you need.

Think about mounting as much as possible to boards or frames. You don't want to spend long hours mounting the same lights each year. Even icicles can be mounted on PVC with zip ties, if you can figure out where to store them.

Etc ..

I am really struggling for what FNG means. I know the F word .. but what's the NG ? ... Ah ! wait ... New Guy ? Hahahaha, good one. But we don't pick on you now. We wait for you to pick on yourself and then we laugh with you ... ! Now that you've left the frying pan .. welcome to the fire ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Hi Lee,
    Welcome to CC. Denny about covered it. Don't worry about being new to this hobby. We help each other regardless of the skill level. If you need answers to any questions just ask.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Welcome aboard Lee, all of us crawled before we walked just remember there is no such question as a dumb question. When you don't know the answer then it is not a dumb question. You have join the best forum in the country for our hobby.

Don

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

welcome lee here you will be surrounded by folks who have the same problem Christmas light addiction
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Lee, Welcome.
    If you want to see example of one addict's setup, feel free to drop by. I may even put you to work winding extension cords.

Larry

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Welcome Lee! Glad to have ya onboard, you are starting into this at the perfect time!
    Shannon Wood
    XLights 4 User with 40,000 channels and 60,000 lights.
    Facebook | Vimeo | Twitter

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks everybody, I really appreciate the warm welcome. It says a lot for the type of people that associate with certain boards based on the welcome they throw, and I can already tell you all are a bunch of fun people. I look forward to getting to know all of you and maybe even meeting you. I will surf the boards for a while to see if some of my questions have already been answered before I repeat them. Again, I really appreciate the warm welcome!

Larry - I might just take you up on that offer and spend a rookie season with you before I get myself in too deep.

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Denny -

You should know that one!

FNG = Frequently Noels with Gusto. We're all FNG's on here by that definition!

Lee - welcome, and glad you're here!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Hey Lee! Welcome to the insanity! I've been doing this for 4 years now and love every minute of it. I too am in Indian Trail, where are you at specifically? I'm in Brandon Oaks. You can see my display at LitesOnSipes - Attractions/Things to Do - Indian Trail, NC | Facebook

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Belias - I live about 4 blocks from you off Rosewater. I saw your house and will be honest, it is the one that convinced my wife to allow me into this hobby.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by CSURam View Post
    Belias - I live about 4 blocks from you off Rosewater. I saw your house and will be honest, it is the one that convinced my wife to allow me into this hobby.
    Dang, it really IS a small world isn't it? If that's the case, then I can't help you at all because you're in the same community and the "House of the season" award is at stake.

Seriously though, glad I could help convince the wife as that is a crucial first step. I think the post above from kidcole sums it all up. I would add two things... #1) Never underestimate the time it takes to sequence even the shortest of songs. #2) Start planning NOW.

As this was my 4th year, I kinda slacked a little on #2 figuring it was a piece of cake as I wasn't changing much from the previous year. Bad idea. Our third child was born in July, so the amount of free time available to me was next to nil during those crucial planning months of Sept and Oct. I've already got 2012 on the drawing board and am really excited about some of the new things available out there to those of us with this crazy hobby.

If you ever have a question or want to see anything from my display, I'd be happy to show you - just give me a hollar.

Brian

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Welcome Lee, sounds like you have been bitten by the lightning bug.
    Larry & Rachel Charpiat
    Pilot Mountain Christmas
    Web Site: http://pilotmountainchristmas.com/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pilot.m.christmas