Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Hey Everybody...

Hey everybody!!! I've been lurking for a while, joined last year and just got my first LOR for Halloween... After doing stage productions and lighting a long time ago (before DMX)... I figured the kids are getting older and I need something else to spend money on so I got my first 16 channel LOR controller... Man I wish I had this level of control back in the day, maybe I would of stuck with it.

Anyways, I'm in Cary, NC... Yep, that Concentrated Area of Relocated Yankees... If I have to stay here in town for another 4 years, till the last two kids are our the door, then I might as well enjoy the holidays a bit more...
    Rob

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Hey Everybody...

Hi again .. I must made a reply to you in the TASL Coffee meeting topic but welcome to the site. In addition to our Carolinas group, we also have a local support group called Triangle Area Synchronized Lighting (TASL). We meet three or four times a year to share information and ideas.

And if you have a few extra cycles on top of that we also have a smaller planning team within TASL that has started to make longer term plans for group lighting effect projects, technical experimentation, and next year's Carolinas Convention.

Welcome ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Hi Rob,

Welcome to the hobby, hope to meet you at a TASL meet.

Vic
    RED MOUNTAIN LIGHTS

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Rob,

Hey there! I'm one of the other guys in Cary. (At what point are we no longer relocated Yankees? )

Be sure to post pictures of your Halloween display! (unless I read that wrong and you only just received the controller...) If so, maybe we can have a smaller group meeting to discuss how to assemble an LOR controller. I know I sure could use some help with that one!

What part of Cary are you in? I'm on the Western edge, spitting distance to Chatham County.
    - Scott M.

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Bring your controller parts to the meeting on the 17th. I've put together quite a few of them. My 12 year old neighbor put together 13 of them for me. She is better at it than me. She is going to grow up and be an engineer.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Coming from a background with stage pins and edison plugs, I went with the 1602W... We had it running for a Halloween party on Saturday and the trick-or-treaters on sunday... We only had 25 or so kids on Sunday, probably because all of the kids went to the Cary mall for their "beg-o-ween" walk thru.
    Rob

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Given your stage background, you do know that the LOR controllers will speak DMX, right?

There's lots more options besides just the basic LOR controllers, including more DMX controllers. Start thinking moving lights, servos, and other good stuff. You can always think about building your own controllers, in addition to just buying them. And then there's LED floods, pixels, and other good stuff.

Welcome to Christmas Carolina!
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I was phasing out of stage work (needed to get a real job...) when DMX started getting popular... I'm leaning towards the whole LED side of things now that pricing is pretty reasonable and it keeps the electricity bill down. We've replace almost all of our household incandescent lights with CFL or LED (and getting a new AC and dryer) our electricity bill is about 25% less now than last year. So now I can use the excuse: "It was on sale and uses less electricity"... for a little while anyways...
    Rob