I guess I got lucky last year when I bought 300' of multi-color LED rope light for my property border. This was after Christmas 2008 and I bought it for about 75% off retail. This past season when I ran the border, I noticed that the viewing angles as excellent. There were no dull spots from when the rope was twisted the wrong way. The brightness of the entire rope was consistent.

Last week I bought some white rope light as part of a bedroom remodeling project. It is mounted behind crown molding that is dropped about 2" from the ceiling. It gives a nice effect when dimmed down. BUT here's the rest of the story. This white LED rope light has a clear and prominent front side and back side. The front side is very bright and the back side is dull and a bit yellow looking. I had already mounted the rope light and was testing it with the dimmer when I discovered this. So now I have to painstakingly undo the entire string and twist it around so the bright forward side is all facing the same direction.

I bring this up because if I was using this for my border lights it would look terrible and there would be no way to keep the bright side facing out. At least in the house I have mounted some clips to hold the lights. But my border lights are only passed through a holder about every 10 feet. If you are buying LED rope light for a border or other area that is not held by clips, be sure to ask about the consistent viewing angle before you buy. It seems the better LED rope light does not have this problem...