Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Stars

Dog gone it guys, I want RGB stars for this years like that guy in Australia has. I PMed his about how he made them and have not gotten a response. I saw the same star on another website, so I thinking he didn't invent this thing. I want a 4-6 ft outer diameter star with smaller stars on the inside . Maybe RGB on the inside too. I thought about using CCRs but would not afford that. If somebody has an idea let me know.

I found a source for the RGB LEDs that are on the Firefly. The Firefly LEDs are weather resistant without any enclosures That is a viable but somewhat expensive option. I am sure that I would have a hard time justifying that to my wife. I can just see her face when I tell her I want 4 stars that cost $500 each on the roof. Yeah right and the Easter Bunny is going to help me put them up too.

There are several really talented and smart people on this forum. I would appreciate your help.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Stars

Well Al,

First of all get your welder out and start making the basic star frames, then you will have that much done, and Deb will have to give in and let you put lights on it!

Mine is 5 feet across with 4 channels plus a center mounted strobe. I have used clear mini's on it for Christmas for several years, and added red and blue color caps for the patriotic holidays, This is the year that the incadescent mini's will be exchanged for LEDs. I had thought about using 4 strands of LEDs per star, (red, blue, green and white) but that will be extermely tight winding of lights.

So hurry up and get the RGB LED design finished before I'm ready to re-light mine, which will be in June!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -bangstar.jpg  
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

That's a good looking star John. Denny might have the right idea. He said put RGB on the outside and colored strands on the inside. I might be able to pull it off using that. I thought about putting CCRs on the outer star for the money shot but am scared to spend $800 on CCRs with the problems that have been reported. The Firefly modules have held up better environmentally. Neither are a worthy solution.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Well, the firefly ribbons are on version 3 now, because of environmental issues !

I'm not really aware of any problems with the CCR ribbons since the very first batch that weren't tested very well. One of mine had a problem, quick email to Dan, had a replacement ribbon 2nd day. They were rained on constantly this past season, and were great!

The firefly ribbons are FAT and the few LEDs on them are huge!, in my opinion. The LOR ribbons are nice and skinny, at 18 ft long, are too LONG.

To use either of these products, each of the stars would have to be designed so the ribbon(s) worked out to the correct length. In my case, the smallest center star has (10) 6 inch elements, which works out to a total linear lenght of 5 feet. (too short for a ribbon) The outer star has (10) 28 inch elements which is just over 23 linear feet, too long for a ribbon.

I guess I could use 4 CCRs, and cut the ribbons to length, but sure seems like a big waste!

On my stars I used 50 lights, then 100 lights, 150 and 300 lights on the outside. So I'll probably stay with the 12 strands of warm white M6 LEDs on white wire that I already have in hand for this project. I can still use color caps for the patriotic holidays with the M6s,

UNLESS, you hurry up and get off your butt and come up with something better, before I restring this thing!
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Is this the star you are talking about??

If so I am planning on doing one of these...

xLights or BUST in 2018 kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I love the Star John. I recall seeing it in one of your videos. The size is ideal. Although I would love to have RBGs on roof star, I stalled out on the idea when I realized that a single CCR would limit the size of the star (too small for me) and two CCRs are too costly compared with all the cool things I could do with the equivalent money. I loved the ideas that Mel came up with for his star. The software brings it alive .. but I would want one at least twice the size.

We can only hope that this technology can start to come down in price AND become more flexible to custom light designs. Modular RGB ribbons with density like the CCR, but perhaps in 4 foot or 5 foot lengths would give a lot of flexibility .. as long as they could be easily stacked and linked in the software.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

I Went Static in 2017. FINALLY Moving to Xlights for 2018 !

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

The star I was referring to are on this house:

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

The mystery is over. I searched until I found out. The stars are LEDs strands but not RGBs. There are 4 strands of white, and 1 each strand of red, green and blue. The video camera must have blended the colors. I plan to make this thing. Walter get the welding table ready. It is neat how he secured them to the house. I guess PM
    http://talk.planetchristmas.com/show...stralia&page=6

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks Al,

As I re-string my star, I could add the other colors using some of the M6 LEDs I have in inventory

If you would like, I'll be glad to share the measurements on my star, for you to use as a starting point, then you could change and modify as desired.

My 5 footer is heavy, I'll try to weigh it this weekend. Had never thought about "flying" it as I do with a lot of my other wireframes.
    Last edited by John; 02-04-2010 at 08:12 PM.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

You can check out my post, http://www.christmascarolina.com/for...eck-is-it-game Posts 10 and 19 show ideas on my 4 channel expanding stars with plans, may get you even closer to what you want Walter to build for you. My Walters name is Wendell by the way he don't wear pink pants but we do work for the pink panther.......

David
    And on the 8th day, God created Christmas lights.

240 Channels of DMX

xLights or BUST in 2018 kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

It's a beautiful Star and Pole Al. The original one on PC showed rope light around the pole .. but this one looks like minis. Pretty cool !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

I Went Static in 2017. FINALLY Moving to Xlights for 2018 !

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I built mine in April 2007 after Dr. Steve Bang posted a video on the Constantly Christmas forums, he also used rope light. I PM'd Steve and asked for permission to copy his stars, and told him I would always refer to them as "Bang Stars", except I used mini's. Steve made a 5th one that he brought to Plus 2007 to be autctioned off, it brought over $270 ! I'm sure Chuck Smith appreciated that nice donation that Dr Bang made. Here is a clip of his 2006 display showing four in his display.

John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I just got a PM from the gentleman that has the display with the stars. He is sending detailed photos of the stars. Yeah baby. His stars look to be huge. He said they were made for him using aluminum.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Well, aluminum would certainly help with keep the weight down with these things.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Yeah aluminum would but fabrication becomes a problem. I would have to get my son to weld aluminum because I own a mig welder. Using rope lights would be complicated due the need to cut the light at certain points. As of right now, I plan to use incandescent minis and control the lights with an AC controller. Geoff, the guy that made the star video, cut his LED strands to length and used a DC controller to drive the LEDs. His original reason reason for going that route is due to Australian regulations that require Christmas lights to be low voltage.

John, I am having trouble remembering. Isn't Lori's Lighted D'Lites the best place to buy mini clips.