Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Stars

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post
    John, I am having trouble remembering. Isn't Lori's Lighted D'Lites the best place to buy mini clips.
    lol, I understand. What day is it? This time last year, Lori was $27 and Betty was $23. Just checked, and today Lori is $ 28.95 per thousand, and Betty is $29.95 .

http://www.lorislighteddlites.com/light-accessories.asp

Just a thought, maybe use 3/16 inch rod instead of 1/4 inch. Maybe use a piece or two of 1/4 for reinforcement if necessary. Would save some on the weight, especially if you plan on pole mounting them. Mine weighs 29 pounds made with 1/4" rod.

Betty has the 3/16" light clips for $29.95 per thousand.

http://www.bettyschristmashouse.com/....htm#wireclips

Since I'm using M6 LEDs when I restring mine, adding blue, green and red in addition to the white, I'm ordering right angle clips so the LEDs will face forward instead of sideways. I think I figured I'll need 1200 of the right angles so will probably order 2000.

Hope this info helps
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    lol, I understand. What day is it? This time last year, Lori was $27 and Betty was $23. Just checked, and today Lori is $ 28.95 per thousand, and Betty is $29.95 .

http://www.lorislighteddlites.com/light-accessories.asp

Just a thought, maybe use 3/16 inch rod instead of 1/4 inch. Maybe use a piece or two of 1/4 for reinforcement if necessary. Would save some on the weight, especially if you plan on pole mounting them. Mine weighs 29 pounds made with 1/4\" rod.

Betty has the 3/16\" light clips for $29.95 per thousand.

http://www.bettyschristmashouse.com/....htm#wireclips

Since I'm using M6 LEDs when I restring mine, adding blue, green and red in addition to the white, I'm ordering right angle clips so the LEDs will face forward instead of sideways. I think I figured I'll need 1200 of the right angles so will probably order 2000.

Hope this info helps
    Holy moly. 29 pounds.

Thank you for your help John. I haven't decided where to put them. I would like to have them on the roof but haven't figured out how to make a holder. I might make something like we did for Walter's star. It is pretty slick but hard to explain. People attending the TASL meeting will see how we fabricated the holder for that. Maybe Walter can bring it to Charlotte too. I thought about putting 4 black iron pipes in the yard and mounting the stars at the top of the pole, but I want another megatree this year and that plus 4 additional poles for the stars might not be aesthetically acceptable. Plus the guy wires would make it tough to work in the yard. This is becoming a challenge.

Having the clips at right angles to the rod would be a major plus for spacing. Plus you could put multiple strands on the rod easier. That is a really smart idea. The only negative thing that I could foresee would be the wiring would be a little messier and easier to be seen. Big deal.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

With a white painted frame, and using white wire LEDs, the wiring being seen shouldn't be that much of a issue. You have seen some of my wire frames before, and I try to do a pretty fair job of wire management (patting myself on the back)..

As far as the poles, remember I use a lot of the $39 adjustable flag poles, for the Snowflake Forest, Angel, and Shooting Stars. A lot of them I just zip tie to a u-channel fence post, instead of installing a ground sleeve.

Forgot to mention, thanks for asking the question about the clips, reminded me to update the prices on the Resources page on my website in the How To section on building wireframes.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

John, could this flagpole support a 29 pound star?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Al,

If you are refering to flagpoles like I bring to the mini's, then yes! I used to use these poles for my megatree, and the megatree star weighs just over 38 pounds.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

John I searched your website briefly for a reference to the flagpoles. Would you please point me in the proper direction?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

My website "search engine" is broken!

In the HOW TO section, MegaTree - Adjustable Flagpole Style has some info on the flagpoles and my megatree star as well as guying and reinforcing the adjustable sections
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com