Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Lifecycle observation

I have noticed something unexpected with my new synchronized lights. Over the past 5 or 6 years with my static displays, I would lose at least 3 to 5 bulbs per night. I have over 200 C7s and used to use about 400 C9s (which I have reduced to around 100 or so).

So far this year I have only lost 2 C7s and zero C9s for two full weeks of running. I think these lights are happier with being flipped on and off and all the dimming.

After looking at lots of different LEDs on people's houses, I am completely settled on staying with my incandescents for the Mega-Tree and some of the display areas. I could be swayed to move the windows and roof edge to LEDs, but only if I can find replacement bulbs that give a similar look. Most LEDs have too much "glow" for my taste.

I totally love LEDs for effects such as waterfalls, candlesticks, exploding stars, etc etc ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 !

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Lifecycle observation

You are correct. When an incandescent light is cold, the filament is low resistance and as the bulb heats up the resistance increases. It happens in a couple hundred milliseconds (0.2 seconds), which means that the filament is stressed with several times its warm steady state current for a very small portion of time. This stressing ultimately shortens the life expectancy of the bulb. I read somewhere that commercial minis have a thicker filament which would take more abuse. I don't know if that is correct just something I read from a source that I can't remember.

One thing that we have discussed a couple times on CC and SCL is bulbs exploding. I noticed that mini's would explode and the glass would be missing. My theory is that the glass is micro-fractured during handling or manufacturing. It will look fine until it has been thermally stressed by heating and cooling cycles during normal operation of the bulb. Then it explodes. This occurs each year in my display and it happened in Walter's display this year as well. If I remember correctly, the quantity of exploding bulbs subsided a few days into the display which would support my theory.

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Lifecycle observation

Yup ! I found two minis with the end of the glass gone. I thought maybe they had banged into the wood facia but nothing around them was broken. So I have also observed this phenomenon ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 !

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control