Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Cool Spot Lights (One is DMX !)

Check this one out. It's a little DMX LED Spot that includes on-off, dimming, and strobe. And I bet the seller would take $100 for a pair !

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Chauvet-Rain...item230368f44c

I needed a quick simple pair of Spots and bought two of these. They are awesome little spots and amazingly bright. I don't know how low the seller will go. But he sold me two for $60 and he shipped quickly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Chauvet-LED-...item3ef94cbb70
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 !

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Cool Spot Lights (One is DMX !)

Denny, how do you plan to weatherize the spots?

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I am going to make something shaped a bit like a little birdhouse with an open front. It will include some simple shingles or plastic over the top to weather it in. I also plan to mount the spot light upside down in the top to protect as much of the mount as possible. My birdhouses will be mounted in a tree and angle down to the item being illuminated. Since it's impossible to completely protect them from direct snow (or rain with high wind), I figure the exposure of the bulb can be minimized by keeping it high inside the housing.

Also, there is also a spray on protectant called Boeshield T-9, Invented by Boeing Corp (I think). Amazing stuff. I learned about it through my antique outboard club for stopping surface rust on buffed up metal. Most cheap steel has a lot of iron in it and Boeshield dries to a waxy surface and stopps virtually all water penetration. I use it on bare parts on my cars, boats, tools .. you name it. Amazing stuff. The down side is you cannot touch it once sprayed on. I did that once and saw rust lines in my fingerprint !

I will use some clear silicone caulk around the front edge of the lens where it meets the metal frame of the spot light. These LED spots are tiny, so not much caulk is needed. Then after the caulk has dried I will carefull spray the whole unit and mount it up inside my "birdhouse." I haven't tried it yet, but I will probably mount the spot first, then remove it for the caulk and Boeshield. I might need a suction cup on the front lens to avoid putting my hands on the rest of the unit once the Boeshield dries !

Boeshield is sold at Overton's and a lot of woodworking stores for $10 a can, but I also found it on eBay for $13 including shipping. That's cheaper here than going to store since no gas or taxes to pay. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Boeshield-T-9-Ru...item35a488171c
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

The twin-spot "birdhouse" is done. Came out pretty cool. And my new can of Boeshield T-9 arrived. As soon as the clear silicone dries good around the spot light lenses, I will coat the metal bodies (except the glass) with the T-9. I am having a lights party this Saturday. A handful of friends have been curious about my lights, so I am supplying the beer and lunch - - they will help me get the mega-tree wired and pull as many other channels as we can get to.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    The twin-spot "birdhouse" is done. Came out pretty cool. And my new can of Boeshield T-9 arrived. As soon as the clear silicone dries good around the spot light lenses, I will coat the metal bodies (except the glass) with the T-9. I am having a lights party this Saturday. A handful of friends have been curious about my lights, so I am supplying the beer and lunch - - they will help me get the mega-tree wired and pull as many other channels as we can get to.
    You should be taking pictures as you go......

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

OK .. Here's the assembled Birdhouse for the twin spot lights. I still need to glue a shingle on top to shed rain and snow. It is constructed from 3/4" thick Cedar and will be mounted in a tree with a couple screws.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -pb170010small.jpg   -pb170011small.jpg  
    Thanks,

Denny Cole