Thread: Strobes from ChristmasLightShow.com ..

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Strobes from ChristmasLightShow.com ..

A while back Al told me he has a theory that no matter what Darryl does, he will send everyone 10% bad strobes. I thought that was a little precise and bold at the time. So for the last month or so I have been thinking it might be fun to tease Al when my strobes show up and they all work.

And to top it all off, the CLS site had a nice discount along with a bunch of technical mumbo jumbo about how much better this new strobe design is. So I;m thinking .. Ha ! I'll show Al that they are better.

I bought 10 strobes.

CLS shipped all 10 immediately.

They all arrived in perfect physical shape.

I screwed em all into their C9 sockets and hung them along my garage wall ...

Ha ! They all worked !

And that lasted about a minute before exactly one of them blew out.

Al, that's just plain strange .. !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 !

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Strobes from ChristmasLightShow.com ..

Denny,

One of the few times Al has ever been right about something!

Now wait till you have them out in the display and another 10% fail !

I loose about 20% of my CLS stobes every season, no matter what I do to try to protect them. Who knows, maybe the ""new" ones are better and will last for more then one season out in the elements. I hope so. You can be our guinea pig on this one.

I didn't order from CLS this year, I did order the LED stobes from Paul at CDI, we'll see how well they survive.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Last week for my Halloween display I pulled out 25 strobes that I stored from last year's display. I bought the strobes from CLS. The strobes were in a c9 string that I used for Christmas. One half of the strobes had bases separated from their housings. Some of the wires will require soldering as well as glue. These strobes were given TLC too. I considered a group buy of the strobes and reconsidered when I pulled out that particular string of strobes. I will not buy anymore of the junky strobes regardless if sold by CLS or China directly at any price. BTW, this was my second order of strobes that did precisely the same thing. After the first round I thought they might have been manhandled during storage. Last year I removed the strobes myself, stored them, then pulled them from storage myself.

In my opinion, John made the correct decision this year. The CDI strobes cost a small amount more but should last longer--or so I'm told. The strobe rate seems to be the major difference between the CDI (Creative Displays Inc) and CLS strobes. Maybe John can update us on the differences.

For the new guys, we are talking about xenon strobes. Xenons are the bright strobes that are not LED. The LED strobes have their own pros and cons. I prefer the xenon strobes.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post
    In my opinion, John made the correct decision this year. The CDI strobes cost a small amount more but should last longer--or so I'm told. The strobe rate seems to be the major difference between the CDI (Creative Displays Inc) and CLS strobes. Maybe John can update us on the differences.

Al
    Actually Al, the CDI LED stobes were cheaper.

The flash rate of the LEDs, they all seem to initially come on at the same time, then get random. Could split them up on a couple of different channels with a few 10ths of a second delay for the 2nd channel.

Here is a post I made last July in response to a query from William regarding my first impressions on the Xeon vs LED strobes.

LED Strobes - Christmas Carolina - Your Home For The Holidays
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I remember that post John. I read it again and I stil agree with you. Don Williams is the only place I have seen LED strobes and his looked great in the show. I am going to play around with more DC controllers and DIY LED Strobes for next year. They cost about 50 cents each to make them yourself. Then no big deal when they die ..

I also want to see what CrazyLightLady has to say when she updates her site. It appears she's running more DC controllers these days too.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 !

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post

I also want to see what CrazyLightLady has to say when she updates her site. It appears she's running more DC controllers these days too.
    No offense to my good friend Annalisa, but I have been waiting for a loooong time for her to update her site. During this time, she did move from Allen, TX to Bonham, TX and now is building a 30 x 80 ft outbuilding so I know she has been very busy. I'm sure updating her website is moving on up the priority list.

Fortunately we do get to see each other from time to time, and I get updates during her presentations. Unfortunately she didn't make it to Charlotte in June this year, so really looking forward to going to Texas in the Spring to see her new stuff.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

The Lady In The House! crazylightlady's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Sheesh John, talk about lighting a fire under my behind

Good news though, it finally stopped raining this past week and I have the garage guy scheduled to start metal work next Tuesday. Plumbers, Electricians and framing guy are all ready to start once shell is up. Waiting on quote from the A/C guy, hubby's thinking about cooling the whole garage.

Even better than that, my bucket truck guy will be here Saturday after next to put 14.4k LEDs in the ginormous oak in the front yard.