Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Convert your Super String Shorteners to Full Wave Rectifiers

Eric asked me this question today and it jogged my brain that I forgot to post this earlier this year. A lot of us bought the full wave rectifier FWR boards and the super string shortener SSS boards at the same time. And most have started to run out of the FWRs. So I looked into the idea of converting the SSS boards for use as a simple rectifier. It only takes one wire ! I sacrificed some cheap diodes and got two nice jumper wires from each one.

Check the picture for where the wire goes. That's all ! When you're done, the AC side is the end where the diodes are, and the DC side is the end where the jumper wire was added. The plus side being right beside the jumper wire.

The only downside of this is the longer board. Seal them up good heatshrink tubing filled with silicon inside. I leave the heatshrink sticking out about a half inch on each end. Then using a small tip on the glue tube, I inject the silicone inside both ends, pushing it down across the board inside. Then I start shrinking the ends first. This forces more of the silicone inside the middle. When you finally shrink everything you will have silicone that pushed out both ends. Wipe it slightly but try not to move any of the silicone inside the heatshrink, so you get a good seal. Let it dry good for a day or two before you mess with it. Some of the silicone inside might be drying out for a couple weeks if you did a good job ! It does not hurt anything to use them while in inerds are curing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -fwr-made-sss.jpg  
    Last edited by kidcole; 11-08-2016 at 05:17 PM.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Convert your Super String Shorteners to Full Wave Rectifiers

Thank you Denny. Worked like a charm. I ended up cutting a piece of a diode to use as the wire. It worked perfectly and left enough wire to still use the diode.
    Likes kidcole liked this post