Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Richard Holdman Pixel Power Experiments

Last night Richard Holdman posted a bunch of information in the Advanced Pixels page on Facebook. It is very good. One thing I learned is there is some considerable current flowing when pixels are off. This is the chips talking with each other. He used a very small 12V 5W laptop power supply (60W total). It's quite noticeable when he puts full load on it and the voltage drops. He does not chow the power noise but it will be pretty bad. Also, the cheap China power supplies are not very reliable when pushed out to full load. So I always leave about 30% headroom. Here is the information from his post.

******************************* <RICHARD HOLDMAN on FACEBOOK 9-15-2016> ****************************

The numbers are in. A few weeks ago I asked if the Pixels from Ray were really 0.6 Watts per pixel. These are the pixels I am using. https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...278099262.html

Short answer. Yes they are.

Long answer: Well almost but close enough. I bought myself a DC meter to read Watts, Voltage, and amps. The power supply I used was a laptop power supply rated at 5amps at 12V. Here are the results.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -holdman-pixel-test-1.jpg   -holdman-pixel-test-2.jpg   -holdman-pixel-test-3.jpg  
    Last edited by kidcole; 09-16-2016 at 12:59 PM.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Richard Holdman Pixel Power Experiments

Pushing your larger supplies to the limit, this means you could run eleven 50-bulb pixels strings on a 350 watt supply, with almost no headroom. On our cheap power supplies, the power is quite noisy at full load. This is not a good plan. Always leave some headroom to make your supplies last longer and to feed cleaner power to your pixels. I prefer to allocate 40 watts for each 50 pixel string, which is about 30% headroom.

The wattage is always the same for any voltage pixels ..typically 5V or 12v pixels for us. The 5V pixels will consume 2.5 times greater amperage than 12V. Thus the need for heavier wire and more power injection with 5v pixels, in order to deliver the higher amps. It's worth the 15% more money to buy 12v pixels. Unfortunately the volume demand is not very large for 24V pixels, otherwise they would be a spectacular choice, with half the amperage of 12V and about 5 times less amps than 5V.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control