Thread: Any LED string light group buys coming up in 2016?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Any LED string light group buys coming up in 2016?

Need lots of LED string lights, can you all share with me if there might be any group buys coming up this year? Hopefully I haven't missed everything.....

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Any LED string light group buys coming up in 2016?

Quote Originally Posted by 5ShepsNC View Post
    Need lots of LED string lights, can you all share with me if there might be any group buys coming up this year? Hopefully I haven't missed everything.....
    Most of the early sales have ended for regular LED strings. And they were for the commercial sales for sealed full-wave-rectified LED strings. As a beginner you might be thinking regular retail LEDs. And those come up randomly when people sell them. A good site to find strings like that is DoItYourselfChristmas.com They have something like 60,000 members. When individuals sell things there, you can message them to make your purchase. But you have to be a 'supporting" member in order to participate in their site wide group buys. Those are generally for hardware items such as controllers, DMX bridges, etc. It's about $30 or $35 a year to be a supporting member. You may not need that in your first year. Others here can help. I suggest you get with Dariusz and he can explain that different lights, alternatives such as modify your own LED strings for full wave rectification, etc.

I think there are still a couple group buys for SPT2 wire (1000' spools for around $135). You'll also need SPT2 males and females. They come in bags of 50 each. And you tend to use more females than males, if you plan to join strings onto the same extension cable. making your own is FAR cheaper than buying a ton of commercial extension cords. Next time I am coming into town I'll let you and Dariusz know. We can sit down over a coffee and got through a ton of 1st year things to consider.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I just thought of this if anyone is using spt1, someone hit me up on diyc who has lots of spt1 spools and the prices were great, but since I use spt 2 (he ONLY has SPT1 he said his clients - landscapers- all use spt1)

If anyone is interested let me know, he mentioned that if he could get a sale of 5 or 6 rolls at one time he was dealing on price.
    Clayton NC, Gregg Gusta & Son Ben, Was converting to LED lights gave up, went back to incan!! not a single pixel in sight!
    Like us on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/gustafamilychristmas

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by ggusta View Post
    I just thought of this if anyone is using spt1, someone hit me up on diyc who has lots of spt1 spools and the prices were great, but since I use spt 2 (he ONLY has SPT1 he said his clients - landscapers- all use spt1)

If anyone is interested let me know, he mentioned that if he could get a sale of 5 or 6 rolls at one time he was dealing on price.
    For any newbies who many not know, SPT1 is the same wire size (18 gauge) as SPT2. But the jacket is smaller, which also makes it lighter. I does not make any difference which one you use. Generally you buy PST2 if you want the heavier jacket on the wire. But the load handling is the same. It's a good idea to stick with one or the other ... so you don't have to keep a stock of both kinds of plugs and sockets.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control
    Likes ggusta liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I guess I overwrote my post rather than amended it, I had posted that christmaslightshow.com's sale is on through I think Saturday and the prices on spt2/1 and plugs are pretty good. As mentioned in other threads, I have switched from a cheaper vendor due to christmaslightshow being more reliable.

based on the vast price difference between incan and led, and thanks @kidcole and @ozarkboy for all of the free Incan's!, it is cheaper (and I think the show looks significantly better) to go with incans and if necessary spend a portion of the savings by hiring an electrician to help maximize the available amps at your home. Or at least mix led and incan. (in particular for the color blue, incan just doesn't work well)

So to sum up, unless led's drop substantially in price, they are not worth it from my perspective.

!! And besides, if your house is optimized to deliver more current than you need, then you may one day put up incan c9's, the holy grail of chistmas lights. lol
    Clayton NC, Gregg Gusta & Son Ben, Was converting to LED lights gave up, went back to incan!! not a single pixel in sight!
    Like us on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/gustafamilychristmas