Thread: 2015 Planning: Need some Help from the gurus!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default 2015 Planning: Need some Help from the gurus!

So I'm trying to make some plans earlier this year! (as in before October!).

2 things we want to do for sure are:
    1. Icicles on the house peaks to add some light to ther 2nd and 3rd story of my house (which is currently unlit except for the faces)
    2. A "little brother" to the 20' Megatree I built in my neighbors lawn, but on our side as well.

For the mini-mega, I was thinking of a 10' tree. And perhaps using LED C6's- I really like how those looked on the tour.
    This would also allow me to essentially go "up and back" with each 24' strand.
    i think I would start with 16 c6 strings of warm white, red and green.
    So 16 channels x 3 colors. 16 C6 strings per channel (doubled-up), full enough?

For the icicles, I need even more help!
    My plan is to mount them on frames of some sort so I can ease my installation. Also considering mounting both Halloween and Xmas trings at the same time so I can just swotch over the power lines for the season. This would entail mounting Orange, Purple, Warm White, Red and Green all together!

So, here's my first question:
    As I try to figure out total # of strings to buy, I'm wondering exactly WHERE do I want to hang the icicles for best effect?
    I definitely want to cover the "peaks" (shown in blue) - but what about the horizontal roof lines (shown in red on my picture)?

-icicles1.jpg

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: 2015 Planning: Need some Help from the gurus!

paul i have had multible strings on my house for years now eves and roof peak this year i went with 2 strings of icicle lights one from the bottom led on the top string you can get a jumping effect with it that way. as far as frames go i only use frames arround windows i use mini clips slid onto the edges of my shingles to support the colored strings and icicle lights (hint get some knee padsif not working off a ladder)
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Mini Mega sounds great. And some good sealed FW Rectified LEDs would be great. I only got 3 Christmases from my mega-tree with incans. I had to replace 64 strings this year.

As for the ICE, the more coverage and more channels you can create, the smoother the look. I never did break mine up into smaller sections, which would have made mine look better. I'll leave that for another house.

As for mounting your ice, most people mount at the upper edge, at the shingles. I used PVC (as you know), but I mounted mine at the base of the facia. Since I was putting holes in the facia (and filling them), I did not want to take chances putting the holes up close to the shingles. In case any water started getting in. But I have not had any problems with that. We're good about sealing them up right away. You could also consider wood strips instead of PVC .. and paint them to match your trim color. You could put holes through the strips and use the releasable TIEwraps through the holes, to hold all your ice. Of course the releasables work great on PVC, but some tight grain maple wood strips would be much stronger, even with the holes through them. btw - the holes would get drilled parallel to the mounting surface (not perpendicular).
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thank you.

Any thoughts on the sections I highlighted in the photo? ("peaks" only vs all straight lines)?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lowe View Post
    Thank you.

Any thoughts on the sections I highlighted in the photo? ("peaks" only vs all straight lines)?
    I like both .. But make sure the peaks are separate channels. Then you can doo sweeps across the straight lines and use the peaks when you sweep down. If you are tight on channels up there, then make the peaks one channel each. I only say this because I have never seen much value in something that was only two channels. Three or more creates good movement in either direction, but back and forth is quickly boring.

I have seen where people treated their peaks more like and arch with at least 5 channels, including one that spans the "top" of the peak. You can do that by folding the icicles into smaller sections. Or better .. use the "divider" method to give a larger more random look to your ice channels.

I use the divider method on all of my ice. To do this you put both ends of the string the span the exact distance you want. So let's say you are using a 7' string of ice to span 3 feet. You pin both ends where you want them. Then pull up the middle of the string and pin it in the middle of the span you are filling. then pull up the middle of the two loops, and one more time - - pull up the middle of the four loops. The result makes you ice look much bigger and better .. and you are able to fit them exactly to the distance you want to span. Always have a good bit more length to the icicle light string(s) than the space you are trying to fill. It ends up looking great !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Well, the interesting thing about my peaks are they are in nice lengths for icicle coverage.

The LED ice strings are 7.5' long.

my small peak is 7' on each edge
    my half peak is 7' of one side, 15' on the other
    and my big peak is 15' x 15'

So I could pretty efficiently use the 7.5' strings.

Also, I would definitely set them up for multiple channels- even if i didnt program each one discretely in the beginning.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lowe View Post
    Well, the interesting thing about my peaks are they are in nice lengths for icicle coverage.

The LED ice strings are 7.5' long.

my small peak is 7' on each edge
    my half peak is 7' of one side, 15' on the other
    and my big peak is 15' x 15'

So I could pretty efficiently use the 7.5' strings.

Also, I would definitely set them up for multiple channels- even if i didnt program each one discretely in the beginning.
    I think 15' of ice would look better on 7' of roof ! If someone can remind me, I will organize a demo for the first TASL meeting to show how to mount long strings of ice on much shorter lengths of roof. It's more random than just the straight icicle strings ,, but also gets more lights in the shorter space.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole