Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default LED Strips vs Strings

I am going to limit my comments to DUMB strips and strings to relate something I learned this year. You guys can comment on your perspectives of both.

As most of you know, I created RGB Snowmen in 2011 by using 3-channel RGB controllers and high density RGB Strips (60 LEDs per meter). I used 1.25 meters (75 LEDs) per snowman. I built the PCV bases that I have showed many times (it's the way to go for blowmolds). And then I wound the RGB Strips around the PVC center pole. These are the IP67 dumb strips that are not in the rectangular silicon jackets (like CCRs). These are still waterproof with a silicon gel sealed over the front of the strip. They are supposed to be able to handle the weather.

Back to the comparison ==> I am now in my 3rd season with the RGB snowmen (since I skipped 2013). And the darned RGB strips are starting to wipe out. On 4 of the snowmen, more than half of the LEDs are dead. It got so bad last weekend, I took dumb RGB Strings and wound them inside the snowmen as a replacement. They look just as good as the RGB strips, and I am betting they will last a long time. I am hearing that the LED (dumb or pixels) are lasting for years on megatrees, so they should last a screamin long time inside blowmolds and out of the weather. I saw a show on TV where you could see the guy's LED strings (looked like the 12mm variety). And I noticed that the silicon had turned an amber color (probably from the sun) over the years. The guy did not say how long those strings had been in his show but it must have been a good long while to have turned that color. They looked great !

My net comment ==> RGB Dumb strips are too fragile. I am going to stick with 12mm RGB strings instead.

btw - I tried other different color blowmolds by sticking a wired up RGB PCV base inside them. They do not look good at all ! You need mostly white to look good. Anything with red looks like crap when you try to change colors other than red. I am making this comment mostly for the new folks since I have already discussed this in past years. The way to go with your regular blowmolds is to build the PVC bases and wind a string of LEDS (full wave rectified!) inside. The dimming is fantastic and then

I finally found an all white Teddy Bear that is the same as my "flying bears" in the back of the megatree. Next year I will rework the white bear blowmold into the middle position of the 5 flying bears. Should be a nice effect ! This might be something good to demo at one of the 2015 TASL meetings (comparing different colors of blowmolds with RGBs inside).
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Van Horn Family Christmas James van Horn's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: LED Strips vs Strings

Thanks for the information.