Thread: Help me outline my roofline with pixels....

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Help me outline my roofline with pixels....

Just wrapping up first year and I definitely want to add a roofline border for next year.

I was initially thinking dumb strips, but now Im thinking doing it with pixels and not having to 2nd guess myself 2 yrs from now :-)

Here's a quick a dirty photo of my house, I sloppily drew where i was thinking I wanted to light:

-xmash1.jpg

I did some rough measurements (dusting off my high school math to calculate lengths of right angle triangles) and i think I need 95-100 feet to do this amount...

I'm nearly 100% ignorant in regards to pixels.... all my stuff now is AC-controlled LOR.

Im open to suggestions regarding strips, bulbs, etc.... Im a blank slate!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Help me outline my roofline with pixels....

here's an unmarked-up photo (in more daylight) if that helps...

-h1.jpg

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lowe View Post
    here's an unmarked-up photo (in more daylight) if that helps...

-h1.jpg
    I would say the first step is to figure out the type:
    - Pixel strings (bulbs)
    - Pixel Strips
    - Other types of modules such as Pixadots, or similar round puck devices.

Along with your selection you would need to figure out your mounting plan including what kind of material:
    - PVC pipe
    - Wood strips painted to match the house trim
    - some other method such as Pex pipe. The Pex is only a valid choice with pixel strips since you would put them inside

If you narrow that down for me, then I'll be glad to point you to some links.

If you want something bright like we saw last night then the China C9 pixel bulbs with a single 5050 is a good choice. I am jazzed by the Pixabulbs that are going on presale at Diy LED Express starting Jan 4th. PixaBulbs : DIYLEDExpress.com If you looked closely, the pixabulbs were the ones strung across inside Sam's meagtree last night. C9 width and C7 height but with 2 5050s inside. You can only get the custom spacing for the presale .. 4, 6, 8 10 or 12" .. The pixabulbs have been described as having better waterproofing than the standard China C9 bulbs. But who knows what Ray might come up with next year. Decisions .. decisions.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Well, I was originally thinking of using something like these:
    Aliexpress.com : Buy 20pcs/string waterproof led pixel module,4pcs SMD RGB 5050,1pcs WS2801,256 gray level,DC12V,0.96W from Reliable led pixel module suppliers on Ray wu&#39;s store

I know these are 3 lamps/pixel, but for the distance involved (roofline) I figured that granularity would be fine.

But that was before viewing "Pixel Valhalla" last night :-) as well as the other folks using various smart RGB's..... so I'm not married to anything! Given the location, Im defintely VERY sensitive to a setup that will lend itself to easy install/removal.... and if THAT drives the choice to one style vs another- Im OK with that as well.

My goal is to do pixels without breaking the bank OR my back installing them..... dunno if thats a relaistic combo though! :-)

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Yes, those pixels are exactly the same as LOR CCRs. 50 pixels across 5 meters. I could not tell if those are the IP67 waterproofing (like LOR) which is the loose strip inside a sealed silicone jacket. Or if they were the better IP68 ones that are gel filled. we use to worry about the gel filled ones, but in the long run if anything goes bad .. at $30 a strip you just replace the strip.

You can mount these strips on PVC, flat aluminum, or wood strips. Probably other choices too. You can cut them every three pixels but we've also learned that you would be better off to have Ray make them custom lengths for you, with the connectors already attached. Try to make them exactly the same on each side of the peaks, and buy at least one spare. The downside of having custom made is what size they end up. But you can calculate pretty accurate as long as you use meters not inches. Each pixel (cuttable length) is 1/10th of a meter. I would probably make mine on wood strips, painted to match the house and then figure out how to mount the wood immediately under the shingles .. maybe something attached to the wood strips that could slip under the shingles. I the office clips and wood shop spring clips for mine and I let the wood strip sit on top of the singles instead of underneath. Either way would work for you but I think on the top of safer. On the bottom will have the advantage of reflecting better against your house trim tho !

Next is cabling. You want to plug them together as much as possible. I think with 12V you can go up to 10 meters (two full strips) without power injecting. You could get opinions on the through DIYC. You'll need to figure out your controller location so you get the extension cables to your box the right size. You can do all your house with one controller. One ECG P2 if you want to go with what we saw last night. I am using sandevices but I think I'll mix in EGC this coming year. We can start a support base for TASL if several of us are using them.

Last is power. count all your 5050 leds time .24W each. That will give you the total watts. Then increase that number around 20% so you never fully load your power supply(s). some people use two power supplies as long as the ECG allows for keeping them separate. You never gang two power supplies together. BUY AT LEAST ONE EXTRA POWER SUPPLY.

You will also need some pigtails on your controller if you want to remove the extension cables. I made my own wires so my long cables are plugged direct to my pixel controller outputs for my CoroFlakes, with the pigtails at the flakes. But I am the opposite for my 8' pixel tree... it's got the pigtails on the controller box. A lot of people use pigtails on both ends and just buy extension cords to run between them. That way over time if you reconfigure things, you can just change to different size extension cables. It's all just a preference.

The 1500 size case is probably the right size for you ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I found these IP68 for less cost. IP68 "should" for gel filled. You can always ask Ray to compare offerings for you. Check this one.

Waterproof IP68,DC12V input,WS2811 30leds/m LED strips,digital with 10pcs WS2811 built in the 5050 rgb led chip;White PCB-in LED Strips from Lights & Lighting on Aliexpress.com
    Thanks,

Denny Cole