Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Candy Canes

I am having a problem with my 28" candy canes. When I set them up in the show they were all operational. as of today I only had about 10 operational. As far as I can see all are still connected and it doesn't look like any wires have been chewed through.

Does anybody have an idea about what might be causing the failure. Everything else in show is still working.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Candy Canes

I've had issues with my candy canes in the past. The bulbs are higher voltage than typical minis and they don't "fuse" well when they go bad. You'll need to pull out the strings inside to work on them. If you are ever out this way I could try to meet you with my Buzz box. It finds bad bulbs in seconds. We would just have to figure out how to get it back in a short period of time, because several of us use it. Since I am doing static lights this year, I've had more bulbs burning out. I've already had 5 bad bulbs out of only about 2000 incandescent. Last year I only lost 4 for the whole month, out of 42,000 lights. The controllers are much better for the bulbs than burning them constantly !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I got a buzz box. I learned from ya'll real fast that it would be a good piece of equipment to get. so what do I need to do, chase down all the lights?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by rooster423 View Post
    I got a buzz box. I learned from ya'll real fast that it would be a good piece of equipment to get. so what do I need to do, chase down all the lights?
    HOW TO TEST CANDY CANES WITH A BUZZ BOX

Turn on your system, go into the LOR Hardware Utility, and turn on all the channels of the controller(s) that run your candy canes. Take a small light string with you to test each line. Remove the candy cane and plug in the light string to make sure all the channels are working. They should be all working but if they are not then you might have controller issues and not candy canes.

Next pull out the fuses from each bad candy cane and test each fuse. Some have one fuse and some have two. The best way to test them is with a muti-meter set on continuity. You just want to be sure each fuse will pass electricity. If it is open then throw it away. Then put known good fuses back into each candy cane. If you do not have a multi-meter you can try to inspect each fuse visually to make sure there is a little tiny wire going across inside. Another way to do this is to just replace all the fuses, if you have lots of spares. Recheck the candy cane to see if it's working.

For the ones still not working you then need the buzz box. You can do a quick check with the buzz box by plugging in the candy cane, turn on the buzz box and then hit the red button in short bursts. You can do this without removing the light string and sometimes it will "fix" the string simply by hitting the string with the high static charge that comes from the box. In this case if the string comes on then the bad bulb is probably "fused" which means it is not on but it has internally bypassed itself. Having one or two fused lights has not bothered me much on large light strings, but it can sometimes stand out like a dead spot in a candy cane. In that case if you notice which bulb it is, then you can pull out the string and change the bulb. Most candy canes have a hook on the end cap at the top, so you have to pull off the cap and remove the hook so you can slide the string out from the bottom.

Assuming all these steps have not fixed your string then you still have one (or more) stubborn bulbs. You have to pull the string at this point and use the buzz box again. With the string out, each time you hit the button on the buzz box then the bad bull will buzz. Sometimes it is loud and sometimes not very loud. The one that buzzes is the bad bulb. Put in a new bulb and check the string again. If still not fixed, hit the buzz box again. Another bulb might buzz, but it's rare that I have never had two bulbs die on a candy cane. I also purchased a super cheap doctor type stethoscope on each from China. It was something like $5 including shipping. I use the small end of the scope to determine exactly which bulb is buzzing on large light strings.

Let me know if you use incandescent light strings or icicles and I can tell you how to use the buzz box on those too ...
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Denny has the way to fix the string. Each bulb drops between 5 and 6 volts, unlike a string of 100 minis, which drop a little over 2 volts each.

I usually get my "spare" bulbs from bad strings. I pull bad strings and replace them with LED strings when I can. Warm whti strings will work inside candy canes, if you can find a string of 20 or 30 or so (split up a larger string.) Full wave is best, even ifyou have to convert a half-wave to full wave (not hard to do)

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I need that lesson some time - how to split one of Paul's 50 strings into 2 25 strings to replace in a candy cane!! Can we put that on the agenda for early next year?
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by scottmcl View Post
    I need that lesson some time - how to split one of Paul's 50 strings into 2 25 strings to replace in a candy cane!! Can we put that on the agenda for early next year?
    It could be a little more tricky than simply pulling off the second section. But we can give it a shot. The rectifier will stay with the first half and you'll have to make a rectifier for the second half (using Jack's instructions) ..

Mike P, do we have Jack's rectifier instructions in the Tutorials section ? If not, perhaps we create a Light Strings section and start with that one ? There are quite a few things we can write up about working with light strings .. incandescent and LED.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

no Denny we don t id love to see it to if one of you guys has a link or know whitch section its posted in id love to post it
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Sigh... Buzz box? Where has this been all my life?

I just ripped 100 bulbs out of a Coro display (pain in the ass!) because I gave up GUESSING which bulb was bad in the string.

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lowe View Post

I just ripped 100 bulbs out of a Coro display (pain in the ass!) because I gave up GUESSING which bulb was bad in the string.
    A "Light Keeper Pro" has some of the same capability. Considerably cheaper but not as good.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lowe View Post

Several of us have been sharing mine. You are welcome to try it out. Sometimes they are hard to find. If anyone knows where they can be found these days, please let us know .. And what's a good price ?
    Thanks,

Denny Cole