Thread: Video of Minis...What is that???

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Video of Minis...What is that???

I finished my tomato cage mini trees today and wanted to see how the looked in a sequence. After watching a few times I noticed that the red and blue LED's were not fading at all and if they were I couldnt see it. I had a lot of fades in the "chasing" sections. But no fading occured.

The biggest "what the ---- is that" moment was when I noticed the blue LED's coming on in random places on the same string. If you watch the video, pause it at 32 seconds and you will see what I mean. Each tree has 3 sets of 70ct blue, but its not just one string or the other failing to come on, it seems random. Anyone ever see this and how do I fix it.

It took a few tries but if you set the slide bar on 32 sec. you can see it. Its a little easier to do directly on youtube.

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Video of Minis...What is that???

Random behavior is usually caused by noise coupling into the communication lines unless you are using LOR's Easy Light Linkers (ELLs). If you are using ELLs then you have baud rate problems which I won't get into.

Noise couples capactively when a power line is placed near a communication line (ethernet style cable). To minimize the problem, communication cables should be run out of the controller so that NO power lines are in the same hole. In your yard, never run a communication cable parallel to power cable without physical separation--a foot should be fine. It is almost impossible to not cross a power line. When it is absolutely necessary and unavoidable, cross the power line with the communication line perpendicular to each other.

There are several other ways that noise could be getting into the communication lines. Noise can couple into your PC through the USB to RS485 adapter. LOR sends out a USB cable that has the wire wrapped around a ferrite bead. Using a standard USB cable could cause your PC to lock up. Another possible noise entry point is the 120 volt source. If you have your PC and controllers on the same circuit from the breaker box and you are switching at a high rate then noise can couple into the PC.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Video of Minis...What is that???

Al,

I checked my cat5 cable and sure enough it was crossing my main power supplies in over 6 places. I switched some stuff around and it played out great. I did however put the cable back over the power supplies to see if it would do it again and it didnt. Go figure. Im happy either way and thanks for the tip.