Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Strobes

After visiting @kidcole's display and seeing his megatree strobes in person, it's something I'm interested in doing for this next year. I had always seen them in videos and thought they were cheesy, but I have an idea that I could really use them for.

I know that the xenon strobes use more power but are brighter, but my biggest question is with LED strobes. I keep reading unless you "precharge" them, they all flash at the same time. Is this really true? Can I apply power for 2-3 cells and have all of them blink once at the same time? Unless I can be sure they will all flash at once, I'll be going with xenon strobes. Speaking of xenon strobes, how likely are they to blink together if power is applied 100% at once?
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Strobes

The LEDs can be precharged to randomly blink when they first come on. Last year I think I used 20% for.60 seconds. Regular Xenon cannot be precharged or the will blow so i've heard. My Mega tree has 10 LEDs and 10 Xenon and are on the same channel so I can't precharge them. They do all fire at one time on the first blink but end up random after that. I have them on my mega tree and my big Merry Christmas sign, everybody loves them.
    Shannon Wood
    XLights 4 User with 40,000 channels and 60,000 lights.
    Facebook | Vimeo | Twitter

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

i had led strobes last year precharged i sold them to kidcole and bought xenon i like them better
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by mpurser View Post
    i had led strobes last year precharged i sold them to kidcole and bought xenon i like them better
    That seems to be the going thought around all the web communities. I'm actually looking to be able to use that single moment where they all fire at once. Unless they do consistently, then I'm going xenon as well.
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Strobes

I can tell you that the xenon fire at once at first light. I see it on my Merry Christmas sign every time, but they get random real quick. I'm not sure about the LEDs. I have them mixed with xenons on my mega tree. I can test them when I take everything down if you like.
    Shannon Wood

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I mix LED with Xenon. The conbination gives a decent look .. Sadly I lose at least 3 or 4 Xenon per year. They just die ! I don't think the LED version are very good strobes. They are not bright enough for impact ... just as filllers.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by SWood View Post
    I can tell you that the xenon fire at once at first light. I see it on my Merry Christmas sign every time, but they get random real quick. I'm not sure about the LEDs. I have them mixed with xenons on my mega tree. I can test them when I take everything down if you like.
    That would be awsome. If the xenons fire all at once for a single time, I'll go with them. Think of a "camera flash" effect.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

i also do a strobe effect with my ccrs for Halloween looks pretty meet
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Samj435 View Post
    That would be awsome. If the xenons fire all at once for a single time, I'll go with them. Think of a "camera flash" effect.
    They do fire at once but you may have an extra pop after you turn them off. I notice mine does that some.
    Shannon Wood

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by SWood View Post
    They do fire at once but you may have an extra pop after you turn them off. I notice mine does that some.
    Is it possible that by adding a C9 to the strand of strobes it will bleed out the remaining charge enough to disable that secondary firing?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Strobes

Possibly, the only way to know I guess would be to try it and see what happens.
    Shannon Wood

Toymaker/Delivery Guy Santa Shannon's Avatar
    Status
    Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

No, adding a C-9 does not bleed the line... I just got a 10 pack of Xenons and have them in a 30-ct string of C-9s right now for testing and I still get a late pop occasionally (and there are 20 c9s downstream!). I'm wondering if some of the EE types around here could confirm that precharging is bad for Xenon strobes? It seems to me that all that is happening is we are charging a cappy until it hits a particular level and then firing, so how would feeding 20% power for a second or so be more damaging than, say, using a camera flash with weak batteries... it just takes longer to charge. If the concensus is really that it is damaging, is there some other way to introduce a 1/4 second delay so that they don't all pop at once? I'd really prefer not to burn a channel or two more just to get random strobes. I know some folks have used strobes with different flash rates, but I've been unable to find any.
    Check out my professional Santa website, That's Santa!.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Shanta View Post
    No, adding a C-9 does not bleed the line... I just got a 10 pack of Xenons and have them in a 30-ct string of C-9s right now for testing and I still get a late pop occasionally (and there are 20 c9s downstream!). I'm wondering if some of the EE types around here could confirm that precharging is bad for Xenon strobes? It seems to me that all that is happening is we are charging a cappy until it hits a particular level and then firing, so how would feeding 20% power for a second or so be more damaging than, say, using a camera flash with weak batteries... it just takes longer to charge. If the concensus is really that it is damaging, is there some other way to introduce a 1/4 second delay so that they don't all pop at once? I'd really prefer not to burn a channel or two more just to get random strobes. I know some folks have used strobes with different flash rates, but I've been unable to find any.
    Good to know about the C9's. I was under the impression that you only wanted to precharge the LED strobes, as people have fried Xenon strbes before, or so I've heard. Don't the Xenon's randomize quickly?

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Shanta View Post
    The circuits are different but you should not have any trouble applying voltage for a fraction of a second to either. I was the person that came up with the concept of "precharging". If you precharge a xenon use full voltage for a fractional second. If you precharge an LED then a fractional voltage for a fractional second is needed. I have not experienced the first/ same time firing problems with my xenon strobe but a certain manufacturer may have closer toleranced components than other manufacturers and make the likelihood of same time firing more prevalent. The component tolerancing is more of an issue in a xenon strobe because more charge is needed and that is why random flashing is more "predictable" in xenon verses LEDs. You cannot discharge the charge built up in a xenon or LED with an external load. Because of the "randomness" of xenon you will not be able to predict with certainty when the last flash occurs without internal components to bleed the charge. BE VERY CAREFUL TAKING STROBES APART. If you need to take one apart you should disconnect the strobe overnight to allow the internal charge to properly dissipate. Under most circumstances the charge will dissipate quickly, but there are conditions that can keep the charge at lethal levels for extended periods. This is a moot issue if you never take a strobe apart.

EDIT: DO NOT APPLY FRACTIONAL VOLTAGE TO A XENON. In other words do not "dim" the voltage to a xenon. If you apply a fractional voltage to a xenon the onboard power supply can be damaged because the circuitry doesn't tolerate the undervoltage as well as the circuity of an LED strobe. I doubt it would fry it but the life expectancy of the strobe would greatly suffer.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Strobes

Did you hear that @Rupert? Al's talking that engineering jibberish again.
    Shannon Wood