Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Rainbow Floods hookup

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    I agree strongly with the self contained DMX solutions, and getting away from the controller and wire methods we all use today. I think it's pretty obvious.

Mark/John, if using the little 3 channel controllers, how much spacing you can get, and still be able to parallel the DMX cable (looping from one to the next) ? Since you have to get DC power and a DMX control wire into each unit (assuming the controllers are mounted inside) .. this would be 4 wire. Would it not be simpler to group the little controllers with the power supplies, and just send 4 wires out for the R G B and Ground ? Or will the lights perform better if collocated with the controllers ?

I want to wire up some large ornaments with the same little controllers and curious how much I can space them out.
    You should not have any issues with connecting these on the same line. No restrictions on distance between controllers. However, you probably have to watch how many are on the same line. The DMX/RS-485 spec says that 32 devices on the same "line" are OK. Most times, you can go higher, but the issue becomes noise and how they are connected. The $7 DMX controllers are no different in connection method than a normal DMX or LOR controller. They just don't have the RJ45 jacks in parallel.

A DMX splitter will help, since it reconditions the line. And this can be a simple, non-isolated splitter, not the $100 one like Al showed off at a TASL meeting.

As for power, that's a personal choice. Either way will work. But you do have a limit on how much current you can get out of a Cat-5 cable.
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stevens View Post

Just keep in mind what you want to do with it. It sounds like you do.

Don't buy a tool then find a use for it; define what you want to do and get the most cost effective tool that fulfills that need.

The unit that Al is talking about is very cost effective for larger areas. For multiple spot coverage, not so much.

Mike's videos up above shows whole-house washing, which would be done well with the unit Al mentions, if you can put them where the trees near the house won't cast shadows. I get the impression the Rainbow floods are between the trees and the house.

Last Memorial day, I did a red-white-blue "march" across the front of my house with my mighty minis; it worked fairly well, with each one covering about a 7 to 8 foot wide wash area. I think the unit Al mentions would cover too large an area to do that effectively without throttling it way back, but I could have used 3 of them to do the whole front of the house.

As I said, define your use first, then find the tool, not the other way around. That's true of anything you do, not just this.
    I agree. I have a general idea of what I want. I'm just wondering the best way to run them. From the rainbow brain or with separate DMX controllers. I'm thinking of going with the rainbrow brain so I don't have to worry so much about which each flood goes where. Since if each has it's own controller and hence address, they would need to go to specific places in the display to makes sense (if they are sequenced and not all doing the same color at the same time).

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions!
    David - Wilmington, NC
    http://www.wilmingtonchristmaslights.com
    with over 5400 channels using 8 x LOR CTB16PC, 1 x Falcon F16V2, 1 ECG-P2, 1 ECG-D2, 1 x Raspberry Pi 2 + FPP

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Great discussion. I have a tall house and want to wash as well as spot. Sounds like plenty of options, especially with new products.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

If you are going to use the NEW EXTREME FLOODS you DO NOT need a Rainbow Brain. All you need is a program to do the sequencing some thing to convert to DMX signal (many choices) wire to connect the DMX signal to the Flood. You set the address on the flood the same as you have in the sequence & add some power & that is all.

Mike

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by mmais68569 View Post
    If you are going to use the NEW EXTREME FLOODS you DO NOT need a Rainbow Brain. All you need is a program to do the sequencing some thing to convert to DMX signal (many choices) wire to connect the DMX signal to the Flood. You set the address on the flood the same as you have in the sequence & add some power & that is all.

Mike
    Right. For my needs, the extreme is too much light in one area. So I'm going with the regular floods.

I also just had a great idea. Has anyone used a ServoDog with servos to give pan/tilt to the floods? That would move the lights around and provide even more of a motion effect when the lights are not changing colors.
    David - Wilmington, NC
    http://www.wilmingtonchristmaslights.com
    with over 5400 channels using 8 x LOR CTB16PC, 1 x Falcon F16V2, 1 ECG-P2, 1 ECG-D2, 1 x Raspberry Pi 2 + FPP

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

David, I have used the Servodog for servos and the mass of the light would be the issue. You would need to have a substantial servo motor which is pricey. But, I did check into it and it remains a possibility. You can buy servo floods from China with DMX control fairly cheaply.