Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default LED Color Help

I am going to jump on the LED wagon next year & need to know about the White or Clear LED's.
    I want a white or clear that is as close to the Incandescent clear mini lights. I have seen all the different names on white. Which one do I need?

Mike

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: LED Color Help

If you want the incandescent look, warm white is what you want. Stay away from pure white and cool white. These are brighter with a slight blueish tint. There may be other names for them too but this is one of the most popular names that I've seen.

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I agree; warm white is the closest, although not exact.

At the 2011 Carolina Christmas Convention, I did an archway with 24 strings of warm white LEDs from Walmart. I was a bit irritated with the lack of consistency of the coloration; some of them had a distinct bluish tint to them. When combined with Dariu's free-standing arches done with clear incandescents, his lights looked positively gold or yellow compared to my LEDs.

However, since I've repurposed most of those strings for use inside blowmolds, I can't tell the difference between the ones with LEDs inside of them and the ones that still ahve the light bulbs, except for the eveness of light inside the blowmold.

You will see a difference in light quality between half wave and full wave LED strings.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I am still 90% incandescent lights and like to keep that look. But have started mixing in Warm White LEDs for effects (my 4 sided Bethlehem Star is the first) and they blend great. I use Cool White LEDs inside all my Blowmolds to get nice bright colors from the plastic (and a brighter look for sequencing). They are mixed lots of retail half-wave strings .. but now they are full wave rectified using Jack's process. Behind the blowmold plastic you can't tell the difference in the color variations.

Jack is very correct about the differences in the shades of Warm White. The good suppliers will always work with you get your lights from the same production "lot" so they match. It's best to buy them together for each separate effect. But retail can be all over the place on the same shelf.

I also recommend that for anything requiring a lot of work to build (such as Bethlehem stars, bang stars, etc) you use the professional sealed Warm White LEDs. Then you are less likely to find yourself replacing all the bulbs in a few years. I am learning from my 4 or 5 year old LEDs, that they rust inside the sockets. And much worse than the incandescent. The wires break off inside the socket and the string dies. I am not sure if the DC voltage has anything to do with that or not. But I've lost several old strings of LEDs this year and it's too much work to try to fix them.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I noticed on some 2012 presales, that they is now another color choice in the white - it's antique or something like that. Yet another thing to worry about...

But in any case, I have some of the CDI sealed C6 LEDs (R G and B) that I've used on my megatree for the last 4-5 years. Other than breaking off the plastic around an LED near the top, I have had ZERO problems with these LEDs. They are as bright and as colorful as the day I put them up the first time.

I still have yet to ever buy any removable LED strings, and so have has no problems with rusting, etc. I have had several issues with half a string going out in my "tune-to" sign, but those were lights I bought from another Christmas light person sight unseen and don't know the heritage.

If you saw my "Rudy" CC promo video, the entire reindeer uses warm white LEDs. I'll get better video soon.
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!