Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Yoke Moving Head Lights

Well, I finally got my moving head lights (two) that I have wanted for a couple years. The lights weigh 31 pounds each and have a 60 watt LED light source so powerful it has cooling fans. It is DMX controllable and pans 540 degrees and tilts 270 degrees. I didn't buy a lot of LOR stuff this year and Deb said I could buy them (with the help from a nice birthday present from my in-laws). I will have to set up a presentation for a TASL group meeting. I like DMX theatrical and DJ lighting and may buy some more of it in the future. The DJ laser stuff is so tempting but there is 0 chance that I will take the chance on using it as I live so close to RDU (Raleigh airport). I'll bet Denny brings his DJ DMX lights out and will incorporate them into his display too. The only bad thing is that the DJ lights require a custom built cabinet and really creative covers. Some of the guys on PC were nice enough to present pictures of how they made them. I love this hobby and when people share it makes it better for us all.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Yoke Moving Head Lights

I'm jealous, Are they RGB? I always wanted to make my own with servos and light weight rgb spots. I'm looking forward to checking em out at the TASL meet.
    RED MOUNTAIN LIGHTS

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Pictures would help....for those of us not as close to Raleigh as others...
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by mschell View Post
    Pictures would help....for those of us not as close to Raleigh as others...
    Agree! I'm interested in these types of lights, just not sure on who to use them.

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'll post some pictures. But this should do for now. Chauvet doesn't manufacture this. They "brand label" it. I bought it from the factory direct. Here is a demo. This thing is amazing. But the TASL folks will get to see it in person. I just have to figure out how to do it at Starbucks. I did a bunch of research before I bought the lights.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Al, you will love using them in your show. I am on my second set, sold my Chauvet Intimidators to another Christmas light enthusiast to help justify some Martin Macs. What I did (and will do for the Martins) is look for Christmas Gobos and substitute some or all of your gobos. There is a lot of creativity you can do with these. One plan I have (not for 2010) is an Angel gobo and have her float down to the TSO song, An Angel Came Down. I love that song and wanted to do it this year, but am running out of time and have other items to get done. This was one reason I went with the Martins, to get the projection distance I would need.

Dano - You can use them for all sorts of things from a racing spot light to highlight the end of song, to highlighting one feature in your yard during a song etc... I want to get another gobo that says "Happy New Year" and have that as part of my Auld Lang Syme New Years Eve presentation. Having the Christmas themed gobos give you a lot of options, rather than leaving the standard one in place.

Enjoy the Yoke's.
    Mark Zembruski
    www.WoodinvilleWonderland.com
    I have CLAP - Christmas Light Addiction Problem - Do You?
    ~ Christmas is not a time ~ Rather a state of mind ~

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Al, those are hot! Flat out hot!
    RED MOUNTAIN LIGHTS

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks guys. I've looked into changing the gobos and got nowhere. The static gobos are glued in but look straightforward to break free and reglue. The moving gobos are in holders that Chauvet had no idea about buying other holders or anything about them really. They do brand label these things and really didn't know. I've found a couple gobos that I want and will try to come up with a way to change them out. I think these are "DJ style" lights and most DJs don't bother changing the gobos.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Al, I was uncomfortable changing out the gobos in my Intimidator when I looked at doing it myself several years back. So I had a local company do it for me. They were extremely reasonable.

Get the dimensions and search for the gobos. I have a few sites I have found that are great for replacements. There are a lot of Christmas related ones you can find. I will post later when I get on my other computer that I store all that stuff on.
    Mark Zembruski

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Al, here's a thought I had. You will need a separate 110v timer to power them up each night. If you use an LOR channel to power them up...look out! Those little motors inside your lights will reak havoc on your comm cable signal and lock up your software. I've gotten better with supressing the kickback these dj lights put out using snubbers and filters and diodes and C7's and relays and transformers and all types of crap, but I still have comm port lock ups once in awhile, causing my show software to crash. Keep in mind I have the cheaper DJ lights that move with audio sound activation, not DMX.

For me the only way to do these types of lights is separate 110v power source and DMX to control em, of course you have to spring for the $250 LOR want's for the dmx dongle. blaaaaaaahhh! This is why LSP and DIY boards are looking better and better to me each day.

Oh did I mention that most of my DJ lights (7) I got for free, A good friend of mine owns CLS in Durham.
    RED MOUNTAIN LIGHTS

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Man Vic, you are lucky having a friend in the industry. Somebody told me that you had a friend like that--maybe it was Denny or Walter. I have a iDMX module, but was going to run it with its own universe. I plan to buy an optically isolated DMX splitter to run the lights. I don't trust having the DIY stuff on the same universe as the moving heads. I am old school and expect stuff to break and when it does it won't destroy both of my moving heads. I may call your friend and see if he will change out my gobos like Mark Z. did. I too am not comfortable removing the glue and stuff. Sometimes it is better to allow a person that knows what they are doing to do their job. I haven't given the power any thought as I have been too busy, but what you said makes perfect sense to me. I may just run a separate line to AC line to them and turn power them up and down by hand, since I will only use them about an hour each night.

Thanks Mark. I need help with getting new gobos. I also want a couple Halloween gobos. The glass gobos are too expensive for my tastes but the metal gobos seem reasonable.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Al,

Here are the 2 sites I have used - http://www.internetapollo.com/Products/ & http://www.rosco.com/

What I do to fire up my static display items and DMX Universe fixtures is use Insteon from Smarthome. It is the next coming of X10. I usually get that power grid fired up about 5 minutes before the first show. They have some outdoor modules I plug into the circuits outside that I need turned on. Works WAY better than X10.
    Mark Zembruski

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

What I do to fire up my static display items and DMX Universe fixtures is use Insteon from Smarthome. It is the next coming of X10. I usually get that power grid fired up about 5 minutes before the first show. They have some outdoor modules I plug into the circuits outside that I need turned on. Works WAY better than X10.
    Zman,

Currently I can control my older X10 modules using LOR software, Would LOR be able to control the newer Insteon modules using my older cm-11a serial interface adapter?

Thanks,

Vic
    RED MOUNTAIN LIGHTS

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks Mark.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by victory402 View Post
    Zman,

Currently I can control my older X10 modules using LOR software, Would LOR be able to control the newer Insteon modules using my older cm-11a serial interface adapter?

Thanks,

Vic
    Vic,
    Insteon modules have an X10 compatibility mode, but then they are the same as X10, and you would not have the advantage of the better line noise rejection that a true insteon network provides.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs