Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default LED Strip lights, including RGB

Quote Originally Posted by mschell View Post
    To follow up, I did order 2 of the DC QC boards, a starter kit with a USB dongle and a copy of the software, along with a XLR-RJ45 cable.

Why the software? Well, I decided I better have a copy just in case. I still plan to use LSP to control everything, but having a copy of S2 Standard (not Advanced) is just future-proofing, and if S2 gets something added soon, I'll have my foot in the door. Also, with a starter pack, the cost of the SW is much less.

I'm about to drop an order with a China supplier for 100 feet of LED strips. Not like a CCR, in that each group of LEDs is RGB and individually controllable, but just like CCR in form factor. They will be single color (white) and will all light up at the same time. I'm going to use these on my snowflakes that are on the arch that came from Tanglewood in the surplus buy. Each "spoke" of the snowflake will be on a different channel, assuming I have enough channels of DC handy.
    Mark started this under another unrelated topic so I am moving it to this section ..

I've been watching the DC strip lights from China on eBay. There seems to be several different types and they all come in many colors. Here are some examples for the guys who have not seen them:

Here's the style I like best because these would attach nicely to steel rod for various shapes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/24-LE...Q5fAccessories

Here's another type but looks to be less flexible since the LEDs are surface mount. But this may depend on how you use them. These could be mounted on a flat surface and have the LED directly pointing out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-Waterproof-B...item27b33767ed

Here's an RGB version. This one is only about a foot long but there are many other lengths. The prices are clearly coming down!

http://cgi.ebay.com/2pcsX-LED-Strip-...item3caec2c454

Here's a long one. Looks like a little hacking might yield some good results by removing their controller and wiring out to 4 channels of our DC controllers. These are probably available without their controller for slightly less. I saw one dealer selling the controllers for less than $4 .. so not a lot less !

http://cgi.ebay.com/10M-1000CM-5050-...item3efea754a4

I am probably already over my head with projects for this year's show .. but next year I really want to start messing with these RGB DC strip lights ! The selection should continue to grow and I am starting my DC experience with the Mighty Minis this year. So I should be ready to branch into DC RGB strips next year. I think these would make an amazing pinwheel or RGB MegaFlake !
    Last edited by kidcole; 07-15-2010 at 12:35 PM.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: LED Strip lights, including RGB

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    Here's the style I like best because these would attach nicely to steel rod for various shapes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/24-LE...Q5fAccessories
    I picked up some of these to use on my boat and was actually surprised how well they were made. Not real - real bright, but enough.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

For the techie guys, these lights state they can be cut every three led (RGB) units. I have not found them for sale (yet) without their controller. But do you think we will have to set up load resistors based on the number of LEDs in each channel R, G, and B ... ? Or would the possibly have their own loading ?
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

This might be an application of the Australian controller that I found earlier in the year. I can't remember the name.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I just got a reply from one of the sellers whom I had emailed today. He said if we were to use our own DC controller and power supply, then we would have to set our own resistors for the load according to how many LEDs we used for each channel. They can be cut and separated in 3s but they are not self-loading. He did not give me the formula but they do give the current spec for the full string, so we would have to calculate and experiment from there.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Has anybody tried the RGB strips?
    Didn't we see something like this at the meeting in February?

The selection seems to be a bit overwhelming though.
    Christmas 2014 No show this year
    Facebook - Cadman Christmas

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

OK, so I'll try to explain some of the stuff that I've learned in the last few weeks about these strips.

You've got two types -

1. All the same - all the LEDs in the strip show the same color that you send via cable to the strip - the strip is not intelligent. You send DC voltage for each color - R, G, B, so a LOR or other DC controller will drive these.

2. Individually controlled LEDs - like the CCR, either 1 or 3 LEDs are individually controllable. There are chips on the strip that allow each set of LEDs to be controlled. There are at least 2 different types of "chips" on the strips - one is 6803, the other is another chip, maybe 1602 or something similar. A separate controller converts the external protocol (like LOR or DMX) to the 6803 (or other) protocol for the strip.

For type 2, there has been some discussion on the Aussie forum about building a controller, the RGB project (think megatree from last year) has built their T3 controller to do the same for their RGB pixels, and there are several DMX controllers from China that will do the same. you can find these on Ebay or from China directly.

I've got enough on my plate already, so I'm planning to buy some of the single color strips (not RGB) and drive them with DC controllers. But RGB of some type is on the radar...

Denny, almost all of the strips that I've seen have their own resistors and each 3" segment is in parallel with the next, so you don't need to change resistors, but you do have to realize that the longer the strip, the more power you'll need to drive them. Depending on what LEDs are being used, it's 20 mA per segment or 100 mA per segment or some other value. Get the specs from the seller to understand how much power per meter...
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by mschell View Post

Denny, almost all of the strips that I've seen have their own resistors and each 3" segment is in parallel with the next, so you don't need to change resistors, but you do have to realize that the longer the strip, the more power you'll need to drive them. Depending on what LEDs are being used, it's 20 mA per segment or 100 mA per segment or some other value. Get the specs from the seller to understand how much power per meter...
    Thanks Mark. That sounds much better. So the guy may have given me some wrong information. He stated that the load is incorporated into their dedicated controller box. I was concerned that when we start cutting the RGB strips into different lengths to make up our display "gadgets" that we might have to set the load with different resistors for each different segment length.

I want to dive into this for next year. And as of right now I want to make an RGB Pinwheel display with either 12 or 16 spokes. Then possibly twice that number of channels if I add the little circles (lollipops) at the ends of each pinwheel. The lillipop circles would be really neat looking by winding up the edge-mounted RGBs with a "swirl" from the inside to the outside. Then use the flat RGB strips for the spokes .. I see at least two more LOR DC controllers in my future. And some 12V Power Supplies. This could finally be the giant focalpoint for the top center of my roof !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Here's the single color strips that I just ordered from China. I'll be using them on snowflakes.

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/7...arm-white.html

I ordered 40 m or about 125 feet. I might have some extra that I'd be willing to sell to folks...
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!