Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: LED vs. Incandescent - let the fight begin

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Caudill View Post
    Incadandescent....LED's aren't bright enough for blowmolds.
    I solved this. I wrap a strand of white LEDs around a pvc post--sort of like when making arches--and then lower the blo-mold over the post. It gives the nativity a very nice serene glow.

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

John is correct, as always. They will pry my incandescents out of my dead and dying fingers. I like the look and the LED flicker nauseates me. Evidently, I am one of those people that see the flicker and get sick. So, until there is a tried and true method to find fullwave LEDs, then I will stick to incandescents. Fullwaves flicker at a higher frequency that is faster than any human can see them.

Scott, this is a new venture for you. I recommend incandescents this year and phase it LEDs as money is available IF you wish.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post

So, until there is a tried and true method to find fullwave LEDs, then I will stick to incandescents.

Scott, this is a new venture for you. I recommend incandescents this year and phase it LEDs as money is available IF you wish.
    Al, there is a tried and true method to find fullwave LEDs - Know your vendor !! I doubt you will ever find much in fullwave at a big box store, buy them from CDI - They are fullwave!

Scott, this is a new venture for you. I recommend LEDs this year from a quality vendor. Might as well start off right and not waste your money with incadescents and all of their problems. No need to spend your time trouble shooting and fixing light strings.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

xLights or BUST in 2018 kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

In general I just don't like LED lights. The colors are always aggressive and never warm (to me). I have found that the only LED lights I like are the blue ones. I have a half dozen sets of LED blue icicles which are one LED driving into plastic ice at different lengths. I do a lot of effects with red, white and blue - so all of these blue LED icicles get piled in one small plum tree about 8 feet tall. I use incandescent for a red tree and a white tree that are used with the blue LED tree.

My blue LED icicles very old sets (approx 7 years) and I have found that they DIM very well with no issues. I remember buying them when LED sets were still CRAZY expensive - - but at about 20 cents on the dollar after Christmas. I am pretty sure these are full wave rectified but not totally sure. I think the first LED lights may have been full wave rectified since they had not yet cut the 1.5 cents to go half wave. Also since these are older, they have replaceable bulbs and I battle with rust in the sockets. I spend an hour each year finding the bad ones and cleaning them up. I have never known why the LED sockets rust but my incandescent sockets don't rust. I assume it may have something to do with the DC voltage attracting more condensation ... but I'm really not sure. Anybody have similar problems with replaceable LED light sockets ? Mine are the minis...
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

I Went Static in 2017. FINALLY Moving to Xlights for 2018 !

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

While folks have different opinions on these things, it's all relative. My 12' megatree has been LED since the 2nd season I put it up. I use R, G, and B C6 LEDs, and it looks awesome. I have not replaced any of the original strings, but ran out of blue the first year I did it, and used some Home Depot brand for 5 or 6 strings. I've since replaced those with genuine CDI C6 strings. So, for the last 3 years, I've used the same set of lights, and NONE have gone out.

I replaced the original R/G/White Rope Light that I was putting up on my roof with C7 LED replacements. It has a different look, but like others have said, using Sun White or Warm White bulbs for the white gives it the look of incandescent without the power requirements.

Note that I still have incandescents on my arches that go near the street, and rope light on the front of the house, and several Holdman trees that have incandescent minis on them, so I haven't gone full LED, but there's several other projects in the works that are definitely LED and not incandescents. I still have lots of blowmolds and blow-ups that have the original lights in them, and they won't be going LED anytime soon.

But a mix will work, and for those items that I want to last a long time, I'm going LED.

As John mentioned, buying your lights from a known vendor will help immensely in getting quality. With the exception of after holiday sales where I'm getting stuff dirt cheap, I've only bought from Paul at CDI.
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Mark - I think that's the boat I'm about to commandeer, as well. I have lots of incandescents from previous years so won't completely get rid of them. But I also have a few LEDs here and there. After doing several mini-trees, I started thinking that maybe I should be doing those in LEDs instead of incadescents, too. That way they would be future proofed, as well.

Still need to think on it a bit, though, before making my final decision... I still have about 10 days...
    - Scott M.

xLights or BUST in 2018 kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

This has been a great post topic ! With some widely varied opinions on the LEDs. Expert Christmas guys on both sides of the debate. I think it's neat that we all have our own views of all this. It would be boring if we were all the same.

I look forward to re-stringing my incandescent 21' mega-tree with 64 channel RGBW strings. But first some somebody needs to invent them and make them "affordable." And of course I still want to run an RGB (grid) roof someday before I forget what it is .. Ha !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

I Went Static in 2017. FINALLY Moving to Xlights for 2018 !

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Best part is that William didn't hijack the thread and turn it into a flame war!

(And no, that's not an invitation to do so... )
    - Scott M.