Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Rainbow Floods

At only $15 per flood, the price is a good one. However, I have my doubts as to how far those "little" LEDs will throw a beam.

Over on DIYC, someone posted a link to a video that had "light pillars", which looked like a RGB flood lighting their fence pillars in front of their house. Seems like this would be a good application for the Rainbow Floods.

I've got enough projects to keep me busy for a few more months, so I don't think I'm going to add anything to my list till after the convention.
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Yeah, I'm wondering also how much light they will put out. I do know that at Light-Up Ohio they set up a MM, PortaFlood and Rainbow outside at night for a comparison, Acording to the posts I read, the Rainbow was the "best". BUT....don't know what criteria they measured; spread, stauration, brightness, ???? Don't know. Will soon though.

and I agree on the projects. I'm trying to decide what all "won't" get built this year that was on my project wish list !

I saw the "light pillars" video also, looked kinda cool.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

xLights or BUST in 2018 kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I missed this topic and just checked the Rainbow site. There's only 3 left. What a great price for having all the components included. I am also curious if by luck the Rainbow RJ45 wiring for RGB & W is the same as what we "documented" for the MMs ? Has anyone compared that ? Since I have not yet connected my wires, I would certainly like to be "Rainbow Ready" without having to have unique RJ connections for each. First I'd like to know if those little LEDs can keep up with MM LEDs ..

I was at Northern Hydraulics the other day and grabbed one of those large yellow floods for something like $7 or $8 .. That's a nice case for the price. We have one of those stores in Cary, so I can pick up some of them if any of you guys want me to get them for you.

I am also with Mark regarding the spread of light. I am going to mount my MMs real close to the upper part of my house so they get a direct small "V" pattern of light. I think the more narrow they can be, the better the effect.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

I Went Static in 2017. FINALLY Moving to Xlights for 2018 !

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'm not sure those LEDs are the same candela as the MMs. The price is too cheap.

xLights or BUST in 2018 kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

A friend at work asked me how much power in each LED on the mighty mini board. I could not remember the stats...
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

I Went Static in 2017. FINALLY Moving to Xlights for 2018 !

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    I missed this topic and just checked the Rainbow site. There's only 3 left. What a great price for having all the components included. I am also curious if by luck the Rainbow RJ45 wiring for RGB & W is the same as what we "documented" for the MMs ? Has anyone compared that ? Since I have not yet connected my wires, I would certainly like to be "Rainbow Ready" without having to have unique RJ connections for each. First I'd like to know if those little LEDs can keep up with MM LEDs ..

William will probably have his Rainbows built before I do. Maybe he can post pics.

No, the wiring is not the same, for the following reasons:

1. Rainbow is 12 volts, not 24 volts
    2. Rainbow uses Red, Green, Blue LEDS - All on for white (no separate white LEDs)

As soon as I can get one of the Rainbows built, I'll do a side by side comparison with pics, I also want to know how they compare.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

John, when should we discuss the Rainbow refrigerator testing? In addition to the cold testing, I feel musical testing in order. I am thinking show tunes for 24 hours, Yani for 48 hours, Air Supply for 24 hours, Boy George videos for 72 hours, then end up with an end to end playing of Barney's "I love you, you love me, we're a happy family..." for 6 days. Then you can take them out of the refrigerator.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Sounds like a plan to me Al

But I have to get them assembled first!

Then test!
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Walter apparently has time on his hands - get him to help you!
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Just so there is no mistaken impressions, regarding the Rainbows and the the Mighty Mini. I am NOT advocating one over the other. I haven't seen the Rainbow in operation, I have seen the MM.

It came down to cost for me. I was needing some more floods. Eight MM weren't getting it done for me, I needed more.

My cost per MM was right at $95 total. (prorating LOR DC card and power supply to each MM)

My "estimated" cost for the Rainbows will be $45 each. Using the same criteria.

Is one better then the other, heck, I don't know yet. But will know soon.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by scottmcl View Post
    Walter apparently has time on his hands - get him to help you!
    No Scott, Walter is plenty busy trying to get a wife, that he can turn into an exwife. He has a huge project going on already!
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

And man, they cost a WHOLE LOT more than a MM or rainbow!
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I wanted to jump in here, as someone just pointed me in the direction of this topic. Sorry for not being part of the discussion before hand.

I wanted to show off some things that I am not 100% certain if everyone has seen. On my main site there is a page dedicated to the Floods. It shows comparison pictures of a 150watt incandescent spotlight and one single Rainbow Flood. There is also a video of the lights in action, controlled via the Rainbow Brain. Just be aware that the first picture on that page is of the version 1 board. The version 2 board has 2 modular jacks.

http://www.christmasonmanor.com/rain...dlight/rfl.htm

Now I do not have any other lights to compare to compare these too, including the Mighty Mini and the Portaflood, but as many people said, all the Mini's that these lights have been shown at, I have been told people like the Rainbow's the best. I am very happy with the spread of the light. On that page I posted above, the light was shined on the side of my house, which is probably about 30ft wide and 35ft high (plus or minus), and you will see that one single light covered the whole side.

I am currently in prototyping of a Rainbow Spotlight, which uses less LEDs and also puts out a smaller area of coverage. It truly is just a spotlight, which can very easily accent a tree or fountain.

I have attached the spec sheet for the LEDs that are used on the floods. This will give you an idea of what the output of the LEDs are.

Also, these boards are not setup to add white LEDs to them. They are clearly RGB. Pins 1 and 2 are for red, 3 and 4 for green and 7 and 8 are for blue.

Right now all the floods are sold out, but a new order is on the way. You can still place an order online, but I will not be shipping until the floods get here. Probably about 2 weeks, if not less. Also, fully assembled lights have been ordered and are being made in Malaysia. They will be here by the end of the month...I hope. Customs has been giving me issues.

Anyway, if anyone has any questions about any of my stuff, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at greg@christmasonmanor.com. Or, if you want, join our forums dedicated to these lights at www.christmasonmanor.com/forum.

Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -led-specs.jpg  
    Last edited by ponddude; 06-08-2010 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Spelling

wbottomley

Soldered one together this evening and will connect this sucker to some juice to see the results.

I have a new respect for the DIY folks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dsc01788.jpg   -dsc01790.jpg  

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Hey, good job! I haven't started on mine yet
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com