Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Outdoor Fiberglass Boxes

Wow these are heavy duty boxes. The shipping weight for two of them is 17.5 lbs ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    Wow these are heavy duty boxes. The shipping weight for two of them is 17.5 lbs ..
    See, you have found the $$$$ surcharge they tack on for the "nice new condition" boxes you wanted.

Those of us getting the "really beat up ones" get a break on the shipping
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    Denny,
    My 3 weighed 25 lbs. Of course it might be that special, "heavy-duty" box they packed them in...
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Got home from my appointment and the box was here. The fiberglass boxes are very dirty outside, show signs of being out in the weather, but are still good to house controllers and the like. They are a little bigger than I thought, but will not be a problem to house a power supply and at least 1, but more than likely 2 or 3 controllers.
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I agree with Mark, a little dirty on the outside but remember they spent their entire lives outside in the elements housing RFID communications equipment. Reading vehicle RFID tags traveling at speeds up to 100 miles per hour from over 100 feet away!

http://www.transcore.com/newsroom/20...ews000417.html

http://www.associatedtime.com/Amtech/amtech.htm

This is something I'll probably throw in the dishwasher to remove the soil and soften the labels.

I was most concerned about the door seal gaskets, and on mine, the rubber is still very pilable and appears to be in great shape.

Just quickly did a dry fit measurement with a LOR standard 16 channel PC board and 4 will easily fit, possibly 5 or 6 by being creative. (My megatree uses 5 - 16 channel units.) I think by adding a handle, this will work out very nice.

Also easily fit 6 LOR DC cards around the inside outer walls, leaving the inside bottom for mounting power supplies. Add a handle and will fill another application I'm working on.

I will be tearing the guts out of the two broadband boxes I built for the Mighty Mini and rebuilding in one of these. Right now I'm using the MM with the Memorial Day display, and I have both of those boxes sitting side by side, so I might as well consolidate everything into one box and add a handle.

Gosh, the way I'm thinking of uses for these, I might order 5 or so more before they run out!

I may be bringing some brand new broadband store boxes to the August Convention to sell , as I'm starting to like these a whole lot better!
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I figured they would be a bit rough outside. But as long as the seals are good then they are going to be amazingly useful. I'm sure glad you posted these for us. We're buying them for about 10 cents on the dollar ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Starting doing some cleanup on these boxes today. All the labels peeled off and a brush and soapy water all around the case, and I think these look pretty great! Glad I got them. Photos of bottom and door, where the labels used to be.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -im000456.jpg   -im000455.jpg  
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Mine need some external cleaning too. But the insides are perfect and the gaskets are good. I might not get around to them until next year, but I like the idea of putting 3 or 4 controllers in them.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'm starting to rethink going over two standard 16 channel contollers in these. While I'm almost 95% LED, and would only need one 18 AWG power input cord, would still have two cat5 data cables and 32 output cables with just two. To add a third, would bump it to 48 output cables. I'm now thinking that would really start to get messy and unwieldly.

I bought some handles, and almost put them on today but held off. I'm thinking that depending on what I put in each case, I'll want to find the balance point for the particular configuration in that case, to make it more comfortable when carrying them.

I do really like their size though, and for low voltage applications, plenty of room for the power supplys and several DC cards
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by scottmcl View Post
    I might pick up 2-3 of these. Since discounting starts at 4, let me know if you're interested by this Friday and I'll place a mini-group buy for them. Not many left so we'll have to do it quick...
    Friday came and went and I didn't place an order yet. Mark might sounded interested, anyone else?
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

-im000462.jpg

A little Bondo covered up the existing holes really well. Just need a final sanding with some 320, and a spray with some grey primer and will be good as new.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

That worked out well. I am planning to use all the holes on mine for the wires to come out. Pretty much like the LOR boxes. I may not get to it until next year tho.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

-im000469.jpg-im000470.jpg -im000471.jpg

Mounted two controllers in this one, 32 channels. Added a handle (off-set due to balance), and two data jacks on the hinge-side side, and power inlet and 32 outputs on the bottom. Also on the back have folding hinges to hold the box at an angle when setting on the ground.

None of the original holes were used, I bondo'd them up as they were the wrong size and in the wrong place for this application
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com