Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default DMX DC 16 channel controller on group buy @ DIYC

If anyone is looking for a great controller to run their Mighty Mini's, RPM has started his group buy on the PCB's and processors for a 16 channel DMX DC controller.

The board and PIC is only $8 plus shipping. Parts to build it should be in the $30 range, but I haven't priced it out.

Note that this uses DMX, and so to run it from LOR, you'd need an iDMX. If you're already using something other than LOR S2 software, you are probably ready to go.

Discussion about this controller is at DIYC (doityourselfchristmas.com), but the group buy is being run on RPM's new site - http://shop.martinxmas.com/

Look for the DMX16DCSSR, it's actually on the second page of the item listing.
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: DMX DC 16 channel controller on group buy @ DIYC

I would jump on this with both feet next year, but I am DIYed out this year. Walter, Deb, and I built or are building so much stuff this year that I sick of soldering. So, I may order the DC controllers from LOR this year or better yet, the Tiger DMX controller if it is available this month.

Thank you Mark for the update.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Al
    working hard to have it available as soon as possible.. the firmware for the 48ch is complete, just waiting on stencils to come in so i can start building some for interested parties
    Cheers
    Aussiephil

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Phil,
    Not trying to steal your thunder on the Tiger DMX controllers - just making folks aware of what's out there...

Like Al, I'm about wore out on building controllers right now. I've got a few in the works, some boards still coming. If the TigerDMX was available today, I would seriously consider it.

I probably have stuff I'm thinking about for next year that might be able to use the TigerDMX - not sure I'll get all those PLCC LEDs soldered this year. You've got a head start.

Mark

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Me too.

xLights or BUST in 2018 kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

The DIY field is getting crowded. The ones that truly work should stay afloat and the others should sink. It seems like the lack of a solid architecture (too many mixed hardware and firmware versions) plague some of these DIY boards. I am going to watch for at least another year before I dive in. I love the larger channel lower capacity units. But I also want solid evidence that they really worked, clean, on the first attempt .. A clean user experience is worth extra $$$
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

I Went Static in 2017. FINALLY Moving to Xlights for 2018 !

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by mschell View Post
    Phil,
    Not trying to steal your thunder on the Tiger DMX controllers - just making folks aware of what's out there...

Like Al, I'm about wore out on building controllers right now. I've got a few in the works, some boards still coming. If the TigerDMX was available today, I would seriously consider it.

I probably have stuff I'm thinking about for next year that might be able to use the TigerDMX - not sure I'll get all those PLCC LEDs soldered this year. You've got a head start.

Mark
    Mark
    No problem at all, one thing I don't mind is discussion on options, I welcome it. I was purely replying to Al
    RPM's 16 ch board opens up another range of options and should be discussed. I have no plans to go below 48 as a fair bit of my board cost is tied up in the processing/power supply parts. I'm concentrating on high channel counts.

Cheers
    Phil

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    The DIY field is getting crowded. The ones that truly work should stay afloat and the others should sink. It seems like the lack of a solid architecture (too many mixed hardware and firmware versions) plague some of these DIY boards. I am going to watch for at least another year before I dive in. I love the larger channel lower capacity units. But I also want solid evidence that they really worked, clean, on the first attempt .. A clean user experience is worth extra $$$
    Denny
    Can't say i disagree, my stuff is between true DIY and full commercial, the base architecture and firmware was proven last year running 360 odd channels. The firmware improvements i've done so far have improved DMX stability. It is the user experience that i care about in the long run and with boards going out to beta testers very shortly i will be keen on feedback. Hopefully I will be staying afloat

Cheers
    Phil