Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kill-A-Watt On Sale $17 w/ Free Shipping

wbottomley

Default Kill-A-Watt On Sale $17 w/ Free Shipping

Newegg has has Kill-A-Watt P4400 Electricity Usage Monitor for $16.99 with free shipping.

Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882715001

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Kill-A-Watt On Sale $17 w/ Free Shipping

William,

Did you order one, or do I still need to bring you one?

Remember this thread we hijacked on the LOR board one night?

For the ones that missed it, Starting about post 5 in the thread, the guy posted a link to a Kill-A-Watt and wondered if anyone had ever used something like this. (He felt like he had made the discovery of a lifetime!) I gave a sarcastic reply, and William jumped in and away it went! Too bad Al wasn't on there that night also!

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum25/21599.html
    Last edited by John; 01-31-2010 at 09:27 PM.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Now that was not nice. This guy was a twit and you didn't recognize it. You should find sensitivity training. Taking care of problems is my specialty even when they are named Dave. Especially when they are named Dave. Pointedly when they are named Dave. Most especially when known as Dave.

I was in Austin that night trying to entertain Walter in stripper bars. Please accept my apologies. Walter should apologize for me.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

No, that "twit" tried to jump William in another thread. Freking newbies!

So his thread got hijacked!
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

John -

Hi, back.

-the Jack you said Hi to.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Seriously - - to all the new guys .. this unit is a MUST HAVE. I was directed to this unit last year and it worked perfectly. The result was perfectly balanced power, and not a single tripping issue, and no damage to any controller channels. I highly recommend everyone get one of these and use it !

Related Tips:

If all of your circuits are wired with 20 amp GFI outlets (or GFI breakers), and you keep the actual full load total power to around 15 amps MAXIMUM, you will not have any issues. Use the kill-a-watt to measure each 8-channel load from your controllers. Then you can move some of your connections around to get a better balance across multiple controllers.

If you are using multiple curcuit breakers in a sub panel then you must also balance your load across both sides of the sub-panel. This is the load from your sub panel to your main panel. You can do this with the Kill-a-watt unit by adding up the individual measured loads on each circuit (for each side of your sub-panel). My sub panel had 30 amp breaker to the main panel. I was running 25.2 amps on one side and 26 amps on the other side. I had no issues and no false trips.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Not overloading a channel and each branch circuit is the BEST way to not have problems with controllers failing, breakers tripping, etc... This is why us "old-timers" recommend doing some planning BEFORE putting a cord out in the yard. This way you'll have a much better show that runs reliably every night.

Watching your total power on a given circuit, and keeping it to no more than 80% of rated capacity will give you some margin, just in case you have to add something at the last minute, and will definitely keep the breaker from popping - so the 15A on a 20A circuit is a good thing. I've got lots of 15A circuits, and I try to keep it below 13A. But going LED in a big way helps by having to use less cords and combining controllers on one circuit, and still stay below that 80% line.
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

wbottomley

John... I haven't broken down and bought one yet.

Maybe I will soon... but still don't know how much I'm pulling, lol.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

William,

Do NOT buy one, I ordered another one, just couldn't pass up a deal, and I don't need 4. This new one is for you. I'll deliver it when I see you this summer!
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

That's a great price William. But if you are all LED, it's probably unlikely that you are pulling any large loads.

I love the look of my incandescent lights, so I have a lot more power balancing to be concerned about ...
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    That's a great price William. But if you are all LED, it's probably unlikely that you are pulling any large loads.

I love the look of my incandescent lights, so I have a lot more power balancing to be concerned about ...
    Denny,

William is NOT all LED. His subpanel "sings" during shimmers, he pulls lot's of power, with his 600 plus channels!

Since some riff-raff ran off with his clamp-on amp meter, I have been concerned about his monster size display, so that is why I'm giving him one.
    (Besides, he gave me a mason jar of white "fuel additive" during the gasoline shortage in the fall of 2008 so I could make it from Charlotte back to Tennessee, right now Al has the jar with the remainder of the contents for safe keeping)
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

wbottomley

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Denny,

William is NOT all LED. His subpanel "sings" during shimmers, he pulls lot's of power, with his 600 plus channels!

Since some riff-raff ran off with his clamp-on amp meter, I have been concerned about his monster size display, so that is why I'm giving him one.
    (Besides, he gave me a mason jar of white "fuel additive" during the gasoline shortage in the fall of 2008 so I could make it from Charlotte back to Tennessee, right now Al has the jar with the remainder of the contents for safe keeping)
    LOL!

Don't worry about bringing that extra one... I'll make that order now so you won't burn up much gas.

If Al doesn't bring it this year... a bounty will go out on his head, LOL!

EDIT: Oh... I forgot one thing. I should have over 1200 next year including four ribbons.
    Last edited by wbottomley; 02-02-2010 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Always forgetting something or can't spell!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

William,

Not bringing it for you is NOT your option. I ordered it for YOU. It is YOURS! It will be DELIVERED to you this summer!

Besides, the Sale is over. Free shipping is over. The deal is over.

UPS tracking shows your Kill-A-Watt will be delivered tomorrow!

and if Al doesn't return with the jar of "fuel additive", he will have to forfeit Deb, and wear Walter's pink shorts!
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

wbottomley

Time to charge the camera battery in case I need it.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

You may very well need lot's of fully charged camera batteries! After all, don't want to miss anything! I'll volunteer to be the "sound guy" and hold the boom mike.

Speaking of mikes, did you record your singing subpanel ? I can't wait to see your sequence to that!
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com