Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default 2015 Presale Information

As no thread has yet started on this topic, I thought I'd go ahead and post the information that I know considering that it is time-sensitive.

FIRST and foremost, the SPT-2 wire pre-sale that we have bought from Radiant Holidays for the past three years will NOT be occurring this next year. As they have stock from the previous year, there is a 15% discount on it until December 31st. As shipping is included in the wire, there is no need to do a group buy for wire this year. With that being said... ORDER now, don't delay!!

2015 Pre-Sale list:

Holiday-Light-Express - Pre-Season Sale - Holiday-Light-Express This is where I ordered my sealed LED strings from and have only had a single issue. I will be RMA-ing them back very soon under their 3-year warranty. Considering that orders over $1,000 ship for free, this may be something to deal with shortly in a group-buy meeting.

Christmas Light Emporium - http://www.thechristmaslightemporium...ts/clearance/; I have not heard of this place before, and their sales are only for current stock with limited items. Not a "pre-sale", but still discounted items.

DIYLEDExpress - 404 Not Found Their pre-sale will be during the month of January. This is a great place to buy domestic pixel items, and the infamous "Pixa-Bulbs".

Creative Displays - https://www.creativedisplays.com/announcements.html; This is the original supplier of the commercial grade LED strings. Their sale runs through January 15th.

Please post if you have any additional Pre-sale information!
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: 2015 Presale Information

I don't need a whole lot for next year but I would consider joining into a group buy to try to get the free shipping. The prices at HLE are awesome. I actually did post these early sales from HLE and CDI about a week ago. But I have no idea where. Nobody replied so I may not have put them in the right place !

Members ! Now is the time to chime in if you want great prices on commercial quality lights that will last a long long time (and with a warranty) !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default 2015 Presale Information

At $13 a string, I still don't want to think about the math to replace all my incans.... My Mega tree alone is 192 strings....

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lowe View Post
    At $13 a string, I still don't want to think about the math to replace all my incans.... My Mega tree alone is 192 strings....
    Yup .. You spoiled yourself running a 192 string mega-tree and 1200 string mini trees ! Although, 64 or 96 strings looks darned good and 50% less work to set up each year. The real advantage of the commercial strings is never having to replace them (or at least very rare). Whereas you are only going to get 4 seasons out of your incans before the color is gone. The blue and the green will start looking bad the soonest. For some reason the red seem to last much longer.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'm changing almost all my incandescent over to LED. There are more than one reason to do this, mostly to rid myself of GFCI trips.
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    Yup .. You spoiled yourself running a 192 string mega-tree and 1200 string mini trees ! Although, 64 or 96 strings looks darned good and 50% less work to set up each year. The real advantage of the commercial strings is never having to replace them (or at least very rare). Whereas you are only going to get 4 seasons out of your incans before the color is gone. The blue and the green will start looking bad the soonest. For some reason the red seem to last much longer.

Well, I think my new megatree is sticking as-is for the time being.

I WAS considering adding a small one next season (like 10'), perhaps that would be a candidate for some LEDs.

The other place Id consider some changes for next season in my mini-trees. I love how they look with 1200 mini lights on them, but that comes at a cost (power, gfci headaches)....

Rather than going from incan --> LEDs, however, Ive been thinking of moving to dumb RGBs- since all my programming in for 3 colors already.
    I rigged up a spare mini-tree with an rgb strip I had sitting around (5M, 60 leds/M). Well, the damn thing is BRIGHT! However, it certainly doesnt have the classic look I like.

I guess the other option would be dumb strings. Maybe with some garland around the tree as well- it might have the look I want.... I dont know?

I WONT put 12 strings of LEDs on each of these 20 mini-trees- thats for sure! $150+/ea mintree seems like a bad investment.

I'm open for some suggestions?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Well, I think my new megatree is sticking as-is for the time being.

I WAS considering adding a small one next season (like 10'), perhaps that would be a candidate for some LEDs.

The other place Id consider some changes for next season in my mini-trees. I love how they look with 1200 mini lights on them, but that comes at a cost (power, gfci headaches)....

Rather than going from incan --> LEDs, however, Ive been thinking of moving to dumb RGBs- since all my programming in for 3 colors already.
    I rigged up a spare mini-tree with an rgb strip I had sitting around (5M, 60 leds/M). Well, the damn thing is BRIGHT! However, it certainly doesnt have the classic look I like.

I guess the other option would be dumb strings. Maybe with some garland around the tree as well- it might have the look I want.... I dont know?

I WONT put 12 strings of LEDs on each of these 20 mini-trees- thats for sure! $150+/ea mintree seems like a bad investment.

I'm open for some suggestions?
    In my opinion, "Dumb Strings" are almost useless with the decreasing cost of pixels. I built my mini-trees out of Pixels and really like the way the came out, but they aren't traditional by any means. I have 10,000 LED lights covering 10 trees in my front yard. They give the best look of being "full" without really breaking the bank. The only caveat is that they are single color, but being sealed they don't cause my any GFCI issues like those evil incandecents. I will be moving them all over to sealed LED or Pixels next year (except the 5000 on the mega tree, and wireframes, they are all "safe" for now).

I don't think you will need 12 strings of LEDs. the LED's are MUCH more intense than incandescent, you may be able to get away with half as much and still get the traditional look, although not as "warm". If you are going on the TASL tour, be sure to look out for my mini-trees for a pixel solution, and check out the commercial strands on my large trees to see how good they really look.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Samj435 View Post
    In my opinion, "Dumb Strings" are almost useless with the decreasing cost of pixels. I built my mini-trees out of Pixels and really like the way the came out, but they aren't traditional by any means. I have 10,000 LED lights covering 10 trees in my front yard. They give the best look of being "full" without really breaking the bank. The only caveat is that they are single color, but being sealed they don't cause my any GFCI issues like those evil incandecents. I will be moving them all over to sealed LED or Pixels next year (except the 5000 on the mega tree, and wireframes, they are all "safe" for now).

I don't think you will need 12 strings of LEDs. the LED's are MUCH more intense than incandescent, you may be able to get away with half as much and still get the traditional look, although not as "warm". If you are going on the TASL tour, be sure to look out for my mini-trees for a pixel solution, and check out the commercial strands on my large trees to see how good they really look.
    Thank you for the insight.

Can you share, for example, the "bill of materials" that make up one of your pixel mini trees so I can explore a bit?

Thank you!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thank you for the insight.

Can you share, for example, the "bill of materials" that make up one of your pixel mini trees so I can explore a bit?

Thank you!
    100 "Flat Square" type pixels, epoxy resin filled - $36 + shipping from China (25% of purchase price on sizeable order, more if single item)
    "L" type roofing wall molding - ~$10 per tree
    Some wood pieces
    1/2" metal conduit
    Misc hardware

I don't really know how much they cost total as they were developed over two years. I would say that the pixels are the most expensive part of that.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I agree, there is a declining reason for buying dumb RGBs, as long as you can take advantage of them. And are willing to "break away" from traditional sequencing to using software tools like Nutcracker. But you can also drive more pixels on one run than you can dumb RGBs, by using local power injection (with the power supply(s) located near the effects).

A couple ways I can still see using dumb RGBs is for hiding them inside blowmolds, or for making large RGB ornaments. I really like my 4 foot talking trees with dumb RGBs. The 27 channel RGB controllers are $50 or less (9 RGB channels). I have stopped using the 3 channel controllers and switched everything to these 27 channel boards. I am very happy with them !

The biggest decision with pixels is to decide if you display is "old school" or if it is "modern." Guys like Don Williams will always stay old school. Don has about 300K lights on 600 to 700 LOR AC channels. I love messing with the technology but at the same time I fear getting too far left of the "old school" look. I am blending in pixels as effects, but keeping my traditional look.

Speaking of keeping my look .. we are making solid plans to spruce up the house and sell it within the next year or so. I anticipate that next Christmas will be my last display here. We want to downsize the house significantly to less than half, and we will be looking East of Raleigh. Not sure how far east .. Helen's mom lives in New Bern and we need to be closer, so Helen can help when her health declines.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

just to bump this up, I want to track the details on the Holiday light Express pre-sale/group buy. depending on when the deposit/payment is needed, will determine the quantity of lights I will order. would love to get the thousand feet spools with sockets/bulbs already done. much easier than stringing 100 light strings together!
    Ross Shotts (100,000+ light total)
    www.lights4paws.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Well, based on my tour yesterday, Im pretty confident I will be in for about 60-70 sets on LED icicle lights.

Unless someone corrects me, Im thinking HLE is the best option for that purchase.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I need to look at these when I get home to see what I can swing for next year :-)

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

It looks like the HLE (Holiday Light Express) presale ends in late February. I am going to check the candidates for when we can hold the first TASL meeting in 2015. We usually get the second or 3rd weekend in February. If they are heavily booked, I might have to take what I can get (and place a quick deposit today). I will let everyone know later.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

REMINDER - The 15% on SPT-2 runs out in a little more than a day. Get your orders in!