Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: 2015 Presale Information

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lowe View Post
    So, looking at what Seasonal sells, it appears from this picture that they just leave a LOT of bare cord after each drop to fold back up along the drop....

Attachment 2766
    Yes, it looks like they did it the correct way .. So the addressing is sequential from top to bottom on each drop. My next frustration is the price. They ended their presale prices on Jan 30th !

Since all of the vendors go to a very small number of actual companies in China, I will bet there are others who would offer the pixel icicles like these.

The icicles wired so each drop is a pixel are also VERY interesting. You would not have the vertical part of the matrix in your sequencing. But the color sweeps and movement across the ice look nice (and a lot less channels to mees with.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    Pixelnet is a serial network on the smart strings. So the only way to wire up what you are asking is if they leave specific gaps from the bottom bulb of each drop, up to the top bulb of the next drop. Then fold and tie the blank section up against the bulb section (of each drop). I hope this makes sense. Due to the incisistent layout required to create this, I really doubt of Ray can make them. People have been asking for this for a while, but so far nobody has come up with a simple way to do it. You can fold
    This is what I don't understand. The data is the only part that is serial, the power is just a bus. Ray or any other manufacturer should be able to take a 2811 node along with 4 pin cable and route the data back up and onto the next line. This would seriously reduce any extra lengths of wire:

-2811-icicle-layout.jpg
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Samj435 View Post
    This is what I don't understand. The data is the only part that is serial, the power is just a bus. Ray or any other manufacturer should be able to take a 2811 node along with 4 pin cable and route the data back up and onto the next line. This would seriously reduce any extra lengths of wire:

-2811-icicle-layout.jpg
    As I veiw the problem, they would need 5 conductor wire on the drops, so the data wire can get carried back up to the top. The manufacturers could do that, but introducing changes to a mass production process adds the majority of the cost. This is why the Seasonal Entertainment versions cost nearly triple over a plain old pixel string.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    As I veiw the problem, they would need 5 conductor wire on the drops, so the data wire can get carried back up to the top. The manufacturers could do that, but introducing changes to a mass production process adds the majority of the cost. This is why the Seasonal Entertainment versions cost nearly triple over a plain old pixel string.
    You would only need 5 if you have a 4 wire pixel. Using WS2811 as a 3 wire pixel, your 4th wire would be a data return. No clock signal on the WS2811's.
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Samj435 View Post
    You would only need 5 if you have a 4 wire pixel. Using WS2811 as a 3 wire pixel, your 4th wire would be a data return. No clock signal on the WS2811's.
    Ooops good catch. It's hard to concentrate when I am at work ! most pixels are 3 wire these days. The bottom line is one more data wire return, to keep the addressing sequential. I suspect that the vendors will create their own standard for these. And they will always be more expensive due to the extra care required for the wiring. I would probably still try to work itout with common pixels, if not exactly like what Peter did.

as I think about Paul's house compared with Peter's house, Paul would need the icicles to appear longer due to the larger house. So a larger spacing between bulbs would help, or use more bulbs .. somethine like 7 or 8 bulbs deep instead of 5.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole