Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: 2015 Presale Information

Quote Originally Posted by ggusta View Post
    What's going on with the spt2 pre sale plans for radiant holidays? I see they still have their coupon in place. Any chances of combining to get to $1000? I need wire and male and female plugs and cg1500s.
    Order ASAP, it won't be good much longer. Shipping is included in the price, no reason to order with anyone else for the wire and plugs.
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Ok
    Clayton NC, Gregg Gusta & Son Ben, Was converting to LED lights gave up, went back to incan!! not a single pixel in sight!
    Like us on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/gustafamilychristmas

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Seasonal Entertainment's presale ends today. And I noticed something I have not seen before .. The DMX equivalent to the ELLs. $135 per pair and the go up to 1000 feet. If you are DMX instead of LOR and start expending to your neighbors .. these look like the way to go.

2.4GHz Wireless DMX 512 Transmitter Receiver Combo - Seasonal Entertainment

UPDATE .. After I posted this information I did some digging on eBay. There are several choices out there including this one above for a lot less:

New US EU Plug DMX512 DMX DFI DJ Wireless Transmitter Receiver System 500METER | eBay

And this type that Al Love is using for lights on his dog (and his wife's coat). These are probably shorter distance but they are nicely compact !

Donner 2 4G DMX512 Wireless Receiver Transmitter Unit US Stock | eBay
    Last edited by kidcole; 01-30-2015 at 02:09 PM.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Cool Denny. One thing to note - the Ebay ones look like you are only getting one while the ones from SE are a pair.

I do have a new neighbor that saw my pixel tree just before it was shut down. He says he hasn't done Christmas but does do a Halloween display with fog and projectors. I have high hopes that he will do a coordinated Halloween display this year - letting me do some music/lighting to his fog/projectors Something like those ELL's would be good to set this up.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplett View Post
    Cool Denny. One thing to note - the Ebay ones look like you are only getting one while the ones from SE are a pair.

I do have a new neighbor that saw my pixel tree just before it was shut down. He says he hasn't done Christmas but does do a Halloween display with fog and projectors. I have high hopes that he will do a coordinated Halloween display this year - letting me do some music/lighting to his fog/projectors Something like those ELL's would be good to set this up.
    Awesome Joe ! You don't have to buy them in pairs. They have 16 different channels that can be assigned to as many units as you want. Or have multiple DMX universes wireless. I added a couple more links, including some really compact one. Those have 8 frequencies to select from as I recall ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I meant that you'd need at least two. One to send and one or more to receive.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Don't forget Komby items for wireless. You can get a kit for $15.
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I like that Sam. Can you give me a Komby run down at the meeting if you go?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Samj435 View Post
    Don't forget Komby items for wireless. You can get a kit for $15.
    Good point Sam .. For those who can build their own devices and set them up, Komby is incredibly less expensive. It would be nice to bring your Komby for show and tell, if it's not too buried in storage ..

The next devices that will probably start shoing up are the wifi units that are preset to work with E1.31. I know this can be done today with creative programming of existing wifi wireless routers. But I think there is some room for companies to create ready to use (plug n play) wireless offerings that extend the ethernet from a laptop, out to multiple controllers around the yard. And with little to no programming. Part of the problem is the data speed. The larger E1.31 installations are Gigabit Ethernet and the wireless speeds are more like 108 Mbps (only 10 to 12 percent of Gigabit). So these might only work with smallier installations.

Does anyone recall how many universes can fill a 100M ethernet link ?
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

William posted an update today. Many of the vendor presales have ended.

Vendor Sales

We have a group Buy discussion at the Feb 21st TASL during lunch. The most likely vendor we will use is Holiday Light Express. Their presale ends Feb 28th. Check out their prices closely if you want to participate.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    William posted an update today. Many of the vendor presales have ended.

Vendor Sales

We have a group Buy discussion at the Feb 21st TASL during lunch. The most likely vendor we will use is Holiday Light Express. Their presale ends Feb 28th. Check out their prices closely if you want to participate.
    And to add to the list, and awesome Coro mini tree on presale for $5 .. uses 50 nodes on the base (dumb or smart) and 20 on the star. I like these !

MiniTree - $5.00 : Boscoyo Studio, Custom Promotional Products

Here's a quick cost sheet for 8 of these with dumb nodes:

$60 - DMX 27 channel RGB controller with tax and shipping (estimated)
    $150 - 700 12mm RGB nodes from Ray Wu including shipping (estimated)
    $50 - 8 coro mini tress <presale> with shipping (estimated)
    $30 - Wire and connectors
    - - - -
    $310 Total (less than $40 each)

Add about $100 more if you want these to be pixels, assuming the controller is a E6804 kit and the pixel nodes come from the current presale deals. That ends up a little over $50 each for eight pixel mini trees. That's hard to beat !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Here's my current dillema re: the presale:

I was planning to add 2 big trees next year:
    A 10' megatree using C6 leds (red, green and white), to mimick the 20' Megatree i built last year.
    I was also planning to buy a 16-strand pixel bulb kit from holidaycoro (similar to the CCR strip kit, but with bulbs- I think the bulbs will integrate better with my display style).

Well, here's the problem:
    Those damn pixel bulb string are getting SO cheap, that it now looks like it would be cheaper to use those on my 10' Megatree as well!?!?

Here's my Math:
    16 strings of red, green and white LEDs will cost me about $480 (on sale). This gives me my 3-color, 16 channel tree.
    16 strings of Smart Pixel bulbs (50 nodes) would cost $303! (holidaycoo presale). This would give me 16 strings with all the colors id ever need.

Now, granted Id still need to add power and controllers to the pixels, but Id need controllers for the LEDS as well...

Also, 16 of the 50-node strings might not be as dense as 48 strings of LEDs (especially since they are 25' long, so doubled up on the 10' tree)- but then again, I could do more of a 180-degree tree with the pixels to increase the density...

Arg?!!?!?!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lowe View Post
    Here's my current dillema re: the presale:

I was planning to add 2 big trees next year:
    A 10' megatree using C6 leds (red, green and white), to mimick the 20' Megatree i built last year.
    I was also planning to buy a 16-strand pixel bulb kit from holidaycoro (similar to the CCR strip kit, but with bulbs- I think the bulbs will integrate better with my display style).

Well, here's the problem:
    Those damn pixel bulb string are getting SO cheap, that it now looks like it would be cheaper to use those on my 10' Megatree as well!?!?

Here's my Math:
    16 strings of red, green and white LEDs will cost me about $480 (on sale). This gives me my 3-color, 16 channel tree.
    16 strings of Smart Pixel bulbs (50 nodes) would cost $303! (holidaycoo presale). This would give me 16 strings with all the colors id ever need.

Now, granted Id still need to add power and controllers to the pixels, but Id need controllers for the LEDS as well...

Also, 16 of the 50-node strings might not be as dense as 48 strings of LEDs (especially since they are 25' long, so doubled up on the 10' tree)- but then again, I could do more of a 180-degree tree with the pixels to increase the density...

Arg?!!?!?!
    You are correct. And the E682 16 channel controller with power supply and case is about the same cost as one AC controller. I assume you would have used 3 16-channel AC controllers for your red, white and green tree. So that would ad another $350 to the tree with regular LEDs, to buy two more controllers. Of course you would have more bulbs on it. But with the pixels you would have a lot more effects.

One plus for the regular LED strings would be the channels that you have to manage. You would only have 48 channels with your AC tree design and the LOR sequencing is much simpler. You would have 2400 channels with 16 50-bulb pixel strings. This would mean you'll need to learn Nutcracker for the more advanced effects. At least until LOR comes through with whatever they are planning with the Nutcracker source code. Even when they do, I suspect they will put a high price on it, which in turn will lead most people to stick with Nutcracker. I hope I am wrong about that and it ends up being part of the regular advanced package.

I agree very much with you plan to use pixel bulbs rather than strips. I am starting to see that the typical pixel strips do not last as long. And I think storage causes the problem. A lot of people manipulate the strips, roll them up, etc. And I see a bunch of channels going bad on them. Unless you happen to have your pixel strips mounted on wood strips and can store them without any bending.

Good thoughts Paul.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    You are correct. And the E682 16 channel controller with power supply and case is about the same cost as one AC controller. I assume you would have used 3 16-channel AC controllers for red, white and green tree. So that would had another $350 higher cost to the tree with regular LEDs. Of course you would have more bulbs on it. But with the pixels you would have a lot more effects.

One plus for the regular LED strings would be the channels that you have to manage. You would only have 48 channels with your AC tree design and the LOR sequencing is much simpler. You would have 2400 channels with 16 50-bulb pixel strings. This would mean you'll need to learn Nutcracker for the more advanced effects. At least until LOR comes through with whatever they are planning with the Nutcracker source code. Even when they do, I suspect they will put a high price on it, which in turn will lead most people to stick with Nutcracker. I hope I am wrong about that and it ends up being part of the regular advanced package.

I agree very much with you plan to use pixel bulbs rather than strips. I am starting to see that the typical pixel strips do not last as long. And I think storage causes the problem. A lot of people manipulate the strips, roll them up, etc. And I see a bunch of channels going bad on them. Unless you happen to have your pixel strips mounted on wood strips and can store them without any bending.

Good thoughts Paul.
    Ugh.... now that i think about it....
    I was also planning to buy 75 sets of LED icicle lights to outline my peaks (15 sets, orange, purple, white, red, green) for Halloween and Xmas....

Sigh.... this might be another place where rgb makes more sense (especially since its 5 strings Im hanging vs ONE with RGB).

Though:
    1. I wouldnt really need the discrete pixel contol- so dumb pixels would work- but they seem like a poor investment with smart pixel prcing the way it is
    2. I havent seen pixel icicles- so I guess Id need to "make my own".... not sure how many strings Id need for the same linear distance if Im creating them....

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Wait... I take that back... it looks like someone had Ray Wu make some custom RGB icile lights... these look pretty sweet!

Anyone have experience having Ray do custom work like this?

(the item currently shows as no longer available) :-(