Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Getting Started

if you have not ordered an fm transmitter yet look into the edm i feel its best all around heres a link to it Index and heres a link to the antenna i use FM DX Antenna Co: 1/4 Wave FM Stereo Broadcast Band Antenna 88-108 MHz, FM Reception Antennas
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

if you have not ordered an fm transmitter yet look into the edm i feel its best all around heres a link to it Index and heres a link to the antenna i use FM DX Antenna Co: 1/4 Wave FM Stereo Broadcast Band Antenna 88-108 MHz, FM Reception Antennas
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Hope everybody's set up has gone good. I was getting late start on mine but have now come down with bronchitis so I will not be doing anymore this year. Hopefully next year will be better. I hope everybody else;s show season and Christmas goes well. Hope to see all soon at the meetings.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Guess we're going to have to wait for the FM Station Transmitter, between the money and it sounds like it could take two weeks, plus, for it to get here. So unless I can come across one on a shelf, or for sale that we can buy.
    The wife, has officially to me "We have enough lights" and we've had some nice trips out for more lights and cords (Need to start making our own extension cords). I think we're between 5500, and 6000 lights. Not bad for a guy who is using his first Light O Rama this year.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

ozark my first year my mega tree had 30.000 leds on it yea i know im bragging just shoot in my direction

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkboy2 View Post
    Guess we're going to have to wait for the FM Station Transmitter, between the money and it sounds like it could take two weeks, plus, for it to get here. So unless I can come across one on a shelf, or for sale that we can buy.
    The wife, has officially to me "We have enough lights" and we've had some nice trips out for more lights and cords (Need to start making our own extension cords). I think we're between 5500, and 6000 lights. Not bad for a guy who is using his first Light O Rama this year.
    This is a great start Bob ! The best way to enjoy this hobby is to grow a little each year. This year I am sure it was exciting when you saw your first lights moving around to the music. In future years you can pile in new function such as FM, and new kinds of lights and effects. I also recommend that each new thing you build, make sure you construct as much of the installation as possible. Is the size of your display grows, it's nice when you can put out your lights (and effects) in hours rather than days ! The next problem is always storage. Your available storage will dictate how much you can do (and the wife of course) ..

I also look forward to seeing what your son came up with for the sequencing !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control
    Likes ozarkboy2 liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Yup Denny, seeing our lights go to the music that first time was a blast. Now we're up to about 12 songs that we have finished, and working on some near daily.
    We're planning on coming out this evening and showing Shari (wife) your place.
    Hope your feeling/sounding better.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

No lights tonight...
    We're having issues with one string of lights shorting out. We usually, and again went over our connections with electrical tape and covered plug ends. Guess we missed something big.
    What are you all doing for moisture control?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

The guys over at HolidayCoro.com recommend CorrosionX for things like cat5 plugs or other exposed connections. It is available from them or on Amazon.com haven't tried it yet but the reviews are great. One can should last years of decorating.

The main rule I try to follow is to keep connections off of the ground. In my limited experience the culprit is a connection where water was allowed to pool. Getting plugs off the ground helps. Sometimes just a brick is all that is needed. Mount timers, power supplies, and controllers on stakes or poles (can cover with a bag if needed). Use weatherproof boxes where you can.
    Thanks ozarkboy2 thanked for this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Good idea on getting connections off of the ground, we have quite a few that are laying in the grass, taped though.
    And I'll check out that Corrosion X too.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

All I do is put a piece of tape on the back of the plugs that have a passthru socket incorporated into the main plug. I am very careful to keep all my neutrals are correct .. at least for the strings that have the wider side on them. Most of my sub panels are wired with the common neutral, so I think the most important thing that keeps my system up in the rain is the fact that the loads are very well balanced on each side of the phase. When they loads are balanced, the neutral approaches zero current .. And of course everything is GFI. I ran fine all night last night.

Bob, I never heard from you. Did you make it last night ? Ring my cell phone (on the TASL list) if you come by.. I run till 9:30 Sunday through Thursday. Till 11 on Friday and Saturday.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

No Denny, we haven't been out all weekend, just worked around the house.
    I have no idea where I saved that list of phone numbers either. Like I've mentioned, I'm not much of a computer person.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkboy2 View Post
    No Denny, we haven't been out all weekend, just worked around the house.
    I have no idea where I saved that list of phone numbers either. Like I've mentioned, I'm not much of a computer person.
    Ha ! That's OK .. I'll be sending another copy of the TASL listing soon. The best thing to do is to print it when it comes out. Then you just have to remember where you keep the piece of paper !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Van Horn Family Christmas James van Horn's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Good Day.

I would like to come by and see what you have done. I am working on finishing up my display. We are powering right now and may put out one or two more items. Hoping to be lit this week.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I am running. My RGB Talking trees are not up yet. Papagayo is a lot of work and I'm having trouble getting it installed and working (yuk).

Four of my 8 RGB blowmolds were wiped out .. turns out the RGB strips had gone bad ! I won't use those anymore. To fix them, I wrapped the PVC frame with Dumb Nodes (RGB bulb strings). I had about 170 spare 12mm type .. so I put 41 inside each blowmold. It's decent, but if I was doing it from scratch I would prefer about 50 to 60. Then I had a problem with one of the 3 channel RGB controllers that I was using for the RGB Snowmen. I think somehow I blew it out. SO Satruday night about 9pm I decided to make another controller for the RGB Snowmen .. I finished it about 1AM. I am using one of the China DMX 27 channel controller boards and a 400W power supply.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole