Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Getting Started

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkboy2 View Post
    My son Tim and I have started getting some strings of lights up today, taking advantage of this nice weather. We're using all L E D lights, and we've come across a few strings that have wires pulled out of the light sockets. These are 3 strand wires, and I have NO clue how to fix this problem, and I know y'all would be the ones to ask. SO...how do I fix these few strings?
    Thanks
    Bob
    Since it is not likely that you can get the contact made effectively inside the connector that pulled loose, then your best bet is to cut out that LED and splice the ones on either side of it. Unless this happens to be the last LED in that "group" If it is the last one, then this could be tricky. Then coming up with a bypass wiring diagram to be complicated. If you just bought them, I suggest exchanging them. Or you may have to just throw them away .. It's hard to help something like that without having them in my hands. It might be more work than it's worth tho ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

It's an older set of strings, and it is also the last bulb on the string. Most likely will just replace it, but I thought I'd ask.

Van Horn Family Christmas James van Horn's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Going to be very cold this weekend so I am hoping that we are able to get done what we need and want to get done. I am hopeful. We will see what happens. I may need you next weekend and the week of Thanksgiving just to give you a head's up. All the hands I can get will be good at this point.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

No good on saving that set of lights. I've got a pretty good imagination and tried everything I could think of, and ended up throwing that set of lights away.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Just let me know James. It doesn't look like I'm going to my truck club get together tomorrow, other's have already decided not to go due to the weather. Originally it was going to be an all night deal, too cool out for this fat guy.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

-10806267_10203443490660464_6961722270187084285_n.jpgI was pleasantly surprised by my wife and son today. They got me my first, Light O Rama Controller. I'm using a desk top computer running window's 8.1 and already in a rut trying to get the CD Driver loaded....
    In trouble at page 5..... About to get me an older lap top.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

very nice and from wow lights as well. That is awesome. In reading the instructions does it say that you need the CD Driver for your version of windows. I thought that was only for Windows XP machines back in the day. Did they buy the LOR software with the controller? If not, you should go to LOR website and download and purchase the LOR Software and install it. Once that is installed there is a hardware utility that will allow you to scan your network find the controller on it so that you can change the ID on it. Remember only one controller at a time on the network when doing this. Once it is changed you can hook up lights to the controller and use the hardware utility to test each channel and then once you have done that you are good to start sequencing and making the lights dance. Let me know if you have any further troubles. You should be good.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Hey James, first off, I'm NOT a computer guy. I just started at page 1, and made it to 5 where it say's to install the drivers cd. Yup they bought the "Advanced" version software too.
    We also just found out that channel #1 is dead...

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Good Day.

If you want, I can show you what you need to do and so forth. Since you are close to me, if you have the time and want to bring the controller and laptop by my house and I can get you through it. Since you are not a computer guy are you sure that Channel #1 is dead. PM message me if you are interested. I will be home this evening and most of tomorrow til about 4 PM. Let me know.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Just off of the phone with Wow Lights, they got us going with the driver installation, and sending us out another controller today, channel #1 is dead.
    But we can get started on our show now.

Thinking I need a lap top?
    Last edited by ozarkboy2; 11-21-2014 at 04:26 PM.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Just off of the phone with Wow Lights, they got us going with the driver installation, and sending us out another controller today, channel #1 is dead.
    But we can get started on our show now.

Thinking I need a lap top?
    Awesome .. Merry Christmas ! You only need a laptop for convenience. But as long as you get a cat-5 cable from your computer to your controller location, you'll be fine. Let me know if you need a software lesson. It's good to learn all the basics from the start, so you don't struggle through your first song. Most import to learn how to export and import your channel config. This avoids having to define your channels for each new song.

i am off work now until Dec 2nd .. Call me if you need some help.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control
    Thanks ozarkboy2 thanked for this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks Denny.
    I absolutely want some training, I'm hoping to get a few songs finished before we turn our lights on, Thanksgiving night. Believe me I appreciate any help/advice I can get.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks Denny.
    I absolutely want some training, I'm hoping to get a few songs finished before we turn our lights on, Thanksgiving night. Believe me I appreciate any help/advice I can get.
    When we meet, bring the "map" of your lights that we discussed. Have it scrawled on a piece of paper. Figure out how to get both width (left to right) and depth (front to back). That will give your "pallet" the greatest impact.

If you bring a picture of your house, I can show you how to get some fake lights drawn on your house. There are two ways to use the picture and draw lights on top of the picture .. But once you set it up, then you can actually see what your show is going to look like. You can choose between the Animator (quick but limited) or the Visualizer (realistic look but more complicated).
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks Denny we'll work on that this evening. We didn't get anything done outside here this afternoon like I'd hoped to. Ate lunch, and basically passed out on the couch.
    Let me know what a good time to meet tomorrow, and we'll be there.
    Thanks again

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

For the life of me, I can't seem to remember how to start a new thread, so I'm just milking this one.
    But What is the best route for getting set up and going with an FM transmitter? Where/and money wise?
    Our replacement controller showed up late this evening. Tim and I spent the day outside cleaning up his cord mess and had it and will get the new controller tested out tomorrow and hopefully getting our show started.
    I'm not far from having my third song programmed. WOW, it IS time consuming!