Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Less than nine months to go

It's now the end of the first quarter of 2011......how is your display planning going?

I feel like I'm already running behind.

This past Friday was 3/25, 9 months before Christmas.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Less than nine months to go

Well since im a newbie i dont really know what to plan for lol. I've just been trying to make my setup easy to complete when the time comes. These past two rainy days i've completed my 5 window frames all i have to do now is hang them up and plug them in, my hands are wore slap out from using all the tie wraps lol.

I was wanting to build some small controller stands but I haven't quite figured out what to do or what to make it out of. Any suggestions?? I dont like how the plastic controller boxes dont have any tabs on the outside for mounting. Looks like the only way to mount it is to drill some holes through the back of it, then i guess you would have to use some silicone around the hole to keep the moisture out.

I have all my sequencing done (13 songs) except for the CCR's that I just purchased.

I have all my parts to build a 20' mega tree, if the weather would ever decided if it's gonna stay warm or cold im gonna get out there and build it one day.

I've purchased a ton of drop cords, got nine more yesterday at Lowe's. I'll be making them with SPT2 from now on. I got 4000' feet of wire 100 male and female plugs, and a few c9 sockets for my strobes.

I guess that's about it, other than being broke LOL. I may be ready by Summer.
    Shannon Wood
    XLights 4 User with 40,000 channels and 60,000 lights.
    Facebook | Vimeo | Twitter

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I mentioned to my wife that we had 9 moths to make something before Christmas. She said NO !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Scott,
    Here's an idea that might help you out.

Buy some of the small or short fence posts - they're the green metal ones with little tabs on them. About 2 or 3 feet long. You'll find them in the garden center of most big box stores.

Take your controller boxes and mount one of those metal strips you can find at Lowes or HomeDepot in the lumber dept. that's about as long as your controller box is wide. Some have holes in them in the middle. These are the straight strips - some of the metal pieces are right angle or "T's". I forget the proper name for these.

Mount a strip on the back of each box, but use a wood or PVC pipe spacer to keep the strip about 1/2 inch from the back of the box.

Now, hang the strip for the controller on the top tab of the fence post. Or drill a hole in the strip and bolt the strip to the fence post.

I used this technique this year and it worked well. I also have a few boxes that have screw holes on the back of them, and use some other metal channels to bolt these to a fence post as well.

This seems to work better than trying to build/use wooden stakes on each side of the controller boxes.

And, yes, I'm already behind as well....
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!
    Likes SWood liked this post

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I use the same fence posts Mark mentioned, but I had some scrap 2x8 pieces of pressure treated wood. I screwed the controller box to one side of that and the fence post to the other side. Wiggles a bit but it's solid; I've done that for a couple of years.

20' mega tree? with a 5-way cross at the bottom, or something that goes into a hold in the ground? I've done a couple of 10' trees using a 10 foot 3" pvc pipe slid over a fence post, then guyed, but I really want to go to 20 feet.

Right now I'm envisioning a way to get my wires outside without having to pass them through a window. I'm thinking a 1" piece of black poly as conduit, with an electrical box on the inside (single gang) and some type of box on the outside. I don't know if 1" would be big enough, taking into account the PL-259 for the line going to the FM transmitter antenna (finally bought one!) and the RJ-45 plugs.

Still have a lot of sequencing to do; seeing Scott Mc's Chipmunk display makes me want to do that this year.

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I have done a lot of nothing. I have played with some nodes and that is all. I think I burnt out something over Christmas.

Last year I welded some holders for my roof that were steel with 1x12 boards to mount the controllers. The front part was the Bang Star holder and the rear was controller mounts. In the yard a neighbor made some stands that are made from 2x8s that look like a big L with a hole drilled in the bottom barely large enough for rebar. The controller mounts on the upright and a piece of rebar goes through the hole. It is painless and close to the ground. I want to weld some controller stands for the yard that have three or four legs that stick into the ground.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stevens View Post
    20' mega tree? with a 5-way cross at the bottom, or something that goes into a hold in the ground? I've done a couple of 10' trees using a 10 foot 3" pvc pipe slid over a fence post, then guyed, but I really want to go to 20 feet.
    20 ft was actually pretty easy. I have 2 10ft threaded 1 1/2" metal pipe. It has 4 guy wires and forthe base I have a 3ft piece of PVC that is just large enough for the pipe to fit in that is drove into the around about 12" and then the pipeis just set down into the PVC sleeve.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    I mentioned to my wife that we had 9 moths to make something before Christmas. She said NO !
    I wouldn't dare mention this to my wife because the answer would be yes i'm afraid! LOL
    Shannon Wood

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by SWood View Post
    I wouldn't dare mention this to my wife because the answer would be yes i'm afraid! LOL
    Well dang. If you did, then I guess Denny could drive to SC, but I don't think his wife is going to like it much.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post
    Well dang. If you did, then I guess Denny could drive to SC, but I don't think his wife is going to like it much.
    LMAO!!!
    Shannon Wood