Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: 2010 Discount list

The main difference between half and full-wave rectified anything is the frequency. LEDs are best used with DC. However, you can run them off AC if the voltage and polarity are correct. The problem is when LEDs are connected to AC they blink on and off. Half-wave blink on and off at 60Hz or 60 times a second, and full-wave blink on and off at 120Hz or 120 times a second. As far as I know, which is slowly becoming less and less far, 120Hz is out of the range of normal human visual acuity or ability to see the flashing. However, a number of humans, the exact number is yet to be known, can see the flashing at 60Hz. Furthermore, the flashing invokes an immediate and violent reaction in the form of nausea and ultimately vomiting. The problem is that people don't know they are afflicted until they see the flashing. So the people throwing up on your front lawn are not making a statement about the quality of your display just the quality of your LED lights. I am one of those humans. I had to turn away from a few people's displays this year when the half-wave LEDs turned on.

Pro grade quality LEDs are generally full-wave rectified. An added benefit is that the bulbs are sealed. One of the problems with cheap LEDs is the deterioration of the wiring due to corrosion. LEDs don't get warm enough to burn off any water in the socket, so corrosion is a big problem. Some manufacturers tried putting a capacitor on the half-wave rectifiers to smooth out the half-wave rectification. I will stop here and not explain how a capacitor smooths out the "rippling", but lets just say that it works quite well. The only problem with using a capacitor is that the capacitor makes it very, very difficult to dim.

Oh and by the way, the specifications for the LEDs say the strands will last for 40,000 hours of use which sounds really good huh. Nonsense. The wiring the LEDs are connected with will break down from UV, salt, vibration, thermal stress, etc. Used normally, you will not achieve more than a fraction of the rated 40,000 due to external conditions. But, you will achieve a better longevity than incandescents.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I am "coming around" to using some LEDs. I tried Paul's brand new design this year for the C7 DIMMABLE replacement bulbs. They dim as smooth as incandescent, and they have a "faceted" plastic lenses that really spread out the light and the colors. Each bulb has 3 LEDs and a dual rectifier. My biggest beef with LEDs has been the pin-point of ultra-bright light that you see with individual LED lights (such as icicles). And these new LED C7s don't have that problem at all. The colors are spectacular, particularly the blue and the green. I am using the Sun White which has the yellow look and blends in perfectly with the incandescent lights. I think the industry is really working hard to come up with LEDs that mimic incandescent .. and they are getting there.

I still have some crappy old flickering LED snowflakes on my candy-cane row. But I have not found anything to replace them yet.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    I am "coming around" to using some LEDs. I tried Paul's brand new design this year for the C7 DIMMABLE replacement bulbs. They dim as smooth as incandescent, and they have a "faceted" plastic lenses that really spread out the light and the colors. Each bulb has 3 LEDs and a dual rectifier.

Paul has had that design for several years now. I started buying them in 2008,
    after having received some samples earlier to help test before he decided to carry them.

My biggest beef with LEDs has been the pin-point of ultra-bright light that you see with individual LED lights (such as icicles).

The M6 and C6 strings and the C6 icicles that Paul sells have never had that problem, sounds like maybe you were looking at retail store stuff.

And these new LED C7s don't have that problem at all. The colors are spectacular, particularly the blue and the green. I am using the Sun White which has the yellow look and blends in perfectly with the incandescent lights. I think the industry is really working hard to come up with LEDs that mimic incandescent .. and they are getting there.

They have been there for several years, its the retail stores that don't sell the quality products. The lights I bought in 2007 (and some of Paul's 2006 inventory I bought from one of his dealers that was going out of business in 2008 [ paid $99 per case of 24 strings - delivered ] are the same quality. The only way I can tell them apart is by the date code moulded on the strings plug.

I still have some crappy old flickering LED snowflakes on my candy-cane row. But I have not found anything to replace them yet.
    Glad to see you are getting "modern" with your thinking, Denny

Having been a very satisfied customer buying quality LEDs from Paul since 2007, it has always dismayed me to hear people diss LEDs based on just seeing some crappy retail store product, without ever really experiencing what REAL QUALITY LED Christmas lights are like.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

John with all these candy cane you have been buying, I think I'm going to call you the "Candy Man" from now on.

Thomas

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

lol Thomas,

I am afraid I might not have enough for next years project, I need at least (if not more) 120 canes, a mix of red and green.

With the 75 I bought Sunday, and the 52 I already had in inventory, it's going to be close. Went out today to get some more, too late, 3 area wallyworlds are cleaned out. Might have to buy some at full price (ouch) next fall.

And need to make sure I have at least 80 - 96 channels for this project, still doing some fine tuning on the plans.

Unless I can get these all converted to LED, this will be my biggest power hog.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Denny, don't listen to John, because none of the rest of us do. We ignore him then he uses red type and we just ignore him twice as much.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Unless I can get these all converted to LED, this will be my biggest power hog.
    So what are you using to convert them to LEDs? I have some and bought my own "mess" more this weekend, too. I haven't looked at Paul's list yet to see what good replacements might fit. Would have to be ones that have a tight spacing on them.

I also picked up a bunch of the pink and purple ones. Does a little spray paint go a long way to making them red? Anyone had to convert canes from one color to another?
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by scottmcl View Post
    So what are you using to convert them to LEDs? I have some and bought my own "mess" more this weekend, too. I haven't looked at Paul's list yet to see what good replacements might fit. Would have to be ones that have a tight spacing on them.

I also picked up a bunch of the pink and purple ones. Does a little spray paint go a long way to making them red? Anyone had to convert canes from one color to another?
    Pauls LEDs have a 4 inch spacing, 17 feet long and 50 count M6 are the smallest strings. I ruled them out last year, I tried, ain't no way they will fit as is.

The 20 ct incadescent strings pull .06 amps each so if I had all 120 on at once would only equal 7.2 amps, so converting to LED is a low priority. I figure when I get around to trying it, I'll grab a few bags of 5mm LEDs and connect them in series. If each Red LED has a forward voltage of 2 volts, and want to use 20 per string with each drawing 18 ma, then I would use a 4.6K ohm 2 watt dropping resistor. Like I said, a low priority at this point. I would need to make some LED strings in red, others in clear and some in green, using 3.3K resistors for the clear and green.

Painting? I would use Krylon Fusion for Plastic spray paint.

My struggle is going to be the opposite. I need for a few of them to have no strip or color, just be a frosted translucent. I've tried sanding the colored stripe off, without very much success, it appears the stripe is moulded in, kind of like the stripe in pulled taffy candy.

My next thought is to remove the light string, split them in half, then use the half shell as a form to keep some translucent plastic tubing properly shaped. Fortunately I'll only need about 6 "no striped" ones, and they will be mounted flat, not standing in the ground.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Bend wire rod into the shape of a candy cane and attach clear plastic tubing. Insert lights into clear tubing. Problem solved. That solution cost $20. I take Paypal so pay pal.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Payment sent! Hold your breath, it should just about be there by now!
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I haven't received payment yet. I just called Walter. He said after he gets his star, he's going to get my $20. I told him to get me a couple CCRs as an interest payment too.

Thread trainwreck time.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Well I'll admit the low cost LEDs from Walmart I have on my eight mini trees and the reef have made it through their second season. The blue and white LEDs icicles from Walmart that were modified this year to a longer length have made it through their first season. The C7 dimmable bulbs, C6 bulbs from CDI have made it through their second season with no problems. Denny the only thing I would recommend on the C7 bulbs is to put DC-4 compound in the socket when you screw them in. The MM6 and C6 this year from CDI are working great at this time.
    Did not buy anthing low cost bulbs after Christmas this year.

Thomas

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

John,

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=141

Heat sand in the oven and put the tube in the sand and bend it around a form. The cost is very reasonable. If I remember correct 170 degrees F was the magic temperature where acrylic starts to become pliable.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post

Thread trainwreck time.
    Uh, Thomas didn't get the "train wreck" memo!

-train-wreck1-1-.jpg
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com