Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Check your boards

I have several boards that spent the summer up on the roof. Cables were all disconnected so wasps couldn't move in but I decided to give them the once over before using them again this year.

I was shocked with what I found in picture one, thought the corrosion was limited to those that had braved the summer outside but found the same problem with the boards that had been stored in a closet in the house.

Problem was easily fixed with a gentle scouring with a wire brush, dusted off with a toothbrush, and then a quick shot of contact cleaner along with toothbrush again.

Not sure how long it took them to get to this point, newbies maybe ok, but mine have seen 6 plus years of use. Better safe than sorry.-not-good.jpg-clean.jpg

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Check your boards

That could be flux as part of the soldering process. It sort of looks like it. If so, it could be water soluble.

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by crazylightlady View Post
    I was shocked with what I found in picture one, thought the corrosion was limited to those that had braved the summer outside but found the same problem with the one that had been stored in a closet in the house.

Problem was easily fixed with a gentle scouring with a wire brush, dusted off with a toothbrush, and then a quick shot of contact cleaner along with toothbrush again.

Not sure how long it took them to get to this point, newbies maybe ok, but mine have seen 6 plus years of use. Better safe than sorry.-not-good.jpg-clean.jpg
    You really should stop treating John that way... I mean, storing him in a closet? You're not going Pulp Fiction on us, are you?

(can't believe I beat Al to a good opening...)
    - Scott M.

The Lady In The House! crazylightlady's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Nope not flux, soldered the boards myself. Boards have seen a lot of use since 04, makes sense giving the weather conditions they have to operate in. Rain, snow, ice, thunderstorms, hail, beer...

Just trying to save someone from having to switch out a board in the dead of night under the aforementioned weather conditions.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks for the heads up Crazylightlady, I keep mine out in the shed out back and they are only semi protected from the cold, heat and humidity. I'm sure they need a good once over before I wire em up this weekend.
    I need to figure out a better place to store them inside the house.
    RED MOUNTAIN LIGHTS

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

The materials used in the production of the PC board can't corrode. The materials are phenolic, resins, ink, copper, tin, lead, and inorganic compounds (in this case flux) that allow the solder to bond with the other elements. The stuff on top of the PC board can corrode (i.e. screws and certain other items), the stuff on the bottom cannot. The problem with flux is that it is almost impossible to fully remove. Even when removed heat can cause the flux to migrate from of the solder joints. I have seen it many times in my life. The flux is conductive, a very, very poor conductor, and can cause problem with RF, high voltage, and circuits of that nature. I can't think of a circuit that the controllers would use that could be effected by a very high impedance path through flux except maybe an oscillator, even then the probability would be remote.