Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default DMX Interface

Mark mentioned during the last TASL meeting, a major difference between the LOR protocol and DMX protocol was that LOR only transmits the channel information once (latch and hold) whereas DMX continuously streams the channel information to the controllers. LOR's protocol causes channels to stick on or off until the channel information is transmitted again. But DMX can be effected if the PC becomes overworked with other things (like virus scans). To solve the problem, Mark found a DMX interface that buffers the channel streaming and hinders the overworked PC syndrome. Mark, what is this interface and how much did it cost?

Also, Mark said that the LOR controllers can be configured for LOR protocol or DMX protocol depending on which is connected.
    Thanks,
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: DMX Interface

Here is the interface Mark was talking about: http://www.enttec.com/index.php?main...name=dmxusbpro

The only down side is you will have to use light show pro and not LOR's program. I had a few problems with LSP this year and I think Mark did to. One big one was the converter not importing LOR to LSP very well.
    Walter

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

One good/bad thing about DMX streaming constantly is that your communication path needs to be good. If the DMX signal can't get thru to the controller, it will shut off the lights.

And the buffering provided by the DMX USB PRO is priceless. There is a cheaper version, called OpenDMX or something similar where the PC is the one generating the DMX signal. If your PC gets busy, it won't be able to keep up with the load, and again, the right lights won't come on.

This is one of the quirks of wireless - if the signal isn't strong enough, or if it gets blocked or interfered with for even a little time, your lights won't come on. Whatever path your signal takes, it must be consistently good for everything to look right.

As far as LSP, yes, there were some issues with importing and with the show scheduler. Many of those were resolved or fixed near the end of Nov/Dec.
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thank you Walter and Mark.

In case some of us haven't figured it out yet, this is a pretty big thing that we are talking about. This is a device that allows us to mix DIY and LOR stuff in the same display effortlessly. When I heard about this a week ago it was the most eye opening thing that I've heard of in a while.

Mark's point is a good one. However, with the LOR protocol, if the communication path isn't good then the lights freeze. On the DMX side, this usually is not a problem associated with wired configurations. However, wireless is a different matter.

And this module is $110 cheaper than LOR's IDMX.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post
    Also, Mark said that the LOR controllers can be configured for LOR protocol or DMX protocol depending on which is connected.
    Thanks,
    Al
    from the LOR website:

LOR Units (dimmer packs) automatically detect the network type (LOR or DMX)
    on which they are currently installed. No special settings or changes are required
    to convert a Unit from one network type to another. This ability to switch from one
    network to another is very important. In “DMX mode” the Unit is a “dumb” dimmer
    pack and only reacts to DMX intensities.

http://www.lightorama.com/Documents/DMX-DOC.pdf

John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Good point John. Yes that is correct. The canned shimmer and twinkle functions go away. I don't use either, but some people may. All other functions are fine.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    from the LOR website:

on which they are currently installed. No special settings or changes are required
    to convert a Unit from one network type to another. This ability to switch from one

And, John, that's exactly what I told folks when I was presenting. The LOR controller is smart enough to "listen" to see what kind of protocol is being used on the wire, and responds accordingly.

Most LOR controllers do this. However, not all do, so check the LOR website to confirm that the controller you have will do this, and what the minimum level of firmware is required for this. The DC board does do this, but since John got there first, he bought all the DC boards that I wanted...
    Mark

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by mschell View Post
    Most LOR controllers do this. However, not all do, so check the LOR website to confirm that the controller you have will do this, and what the minimum level of firmware is required for this.
    The link I posted has the chart with firmware level by controller listed.

Sorry about the DC boards Mark, (no I'm not either) William and Mel got the CCRs I was after and William got the PC boards I wanted.

Maybe it was Walter that got your DC boards.
    Last edited by John; 03-01-2010 at 11:24 PM.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

no i changed my mind and did not get them so it was not me.
    Walter

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by walter View Post
    no i changed my mind and did not get them so it was not me.
    Well dang. Now who can I blame it on? I don't want Mark to think I bought the one's he wanted !
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

We all know you did it. Just say sorry and I'm sure he will forgive you.
    Walter

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Well dang. Now who can I blame it on? I don't want Mark to think I bought the one's he wanted !
    I was just yankin' on your chain, John. I didn't even try to get a DC board...

Planning on building a few more DIY DC boards.
    Mark

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

from the LOR website:

I thought i would drag up his old topic for an update. I know some of you have chosen to use the iDMX with LOR software for DMX expansion to your original LOR controllers. Is anyone going the other way with all DMX from the laptop, but also mixing in the LOR controllers with DMX controllers (per the wiring that was pointed out a few months ago - link above from John) ?

It would be great for the group to contrast these two approaches through this year ...
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Denny,
    I plan to do this, in that I purchased 2 DC LOR controllers, but will be driving them via DMX. I also have an AL controller that I got the LOR firmware loaded on, so it acts like a any other LOR controller, and drove it with DMX last season and will again.

I'll have AL (using native AL protocol), Lynx DMX, DIY DMX, LOR DMX and even some Renard (probably using DMX) controllers in my show this year. LSP will drive them all natively, but I'll probably hold it to just AL and DMX protocols. Given that LOR, DIY and Renard all use different pins on the RJ45s, I may have to build a "junction box" to keep them connected together correctly.
    Mark

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by mschell View Post
    Denny,
    I plan to do this, in that I purchased 2 DC LOR controllers, but will be driving them via DMX. I also have an AL controller that I got the LOR firmware loaded on, so it acts like a any other LOR controller, and drove it with DMX last season and will again.

I'll have AL (using native AL protocol), Lynx DMX, DIY DMX, LOR DMX and even some Renard (probably using DMX) controllers in my show this year. LSP will drive them all natively, but I'll probably hold it to just AL and DMX protocols. Given that LOR, DIY and Renard all use different pins on the RJ45s, I may have to build a "junction box" to keep them connected together correctly.
    I've got both an iDMX and an Entec-compatible dongle on order, so I'm going to play with both. I've read elsewhere that the LOR controllers will carry pins 1 and 2 through, which are the "standard" DIY pins for DMX. I need to verify that with the controllers I have (simple connect up the cable tester). I've also read that pins 4 and 5 are considered a secondary DMX control line, so that should be OK to run LOR on those as long as my DMX controllers will carry them through without modification (will have to check that on the 16 channel DC controllers when I get them, and on the SSR4's) - I'm looking to run just one cable network, not two, if I can, daisy chainging LOR and DMX together. I'll have to build a "joiner" - as opposed to a splitter - to get both the DMX and LOR protocols on the same cable. It probably would not be difficult to shunt the DMX protocol over to pins 4 and 5 to test the LOR on vixen or LSP in DMX mode.

My problem with testing soon is that the dongle is waiting for the enclosure before it ships (DIYC group buy) and I ordered the DC controller boards to be shipped with it. The iDMX1000 is a "try-for-free" sale item, so it won't be here soon, either. I can, and will, go test with the cable controller and the SSR4's and LOR controllers I already have, though.