Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default LED strobe dissection

Here are a few photos of the LED strobe that William gave me. William who did you get it from?
    The reverse engineering of the pc board is going to take a couple more days. I am a little rusty at it, and my sight is not the best. I may teach Walter how to map it out. His sight is better than mine.

The reason it didn't work was the large capacitor was not soldered on one side. After I get the circuit mapped out I will solder the cap and broken wires, and see if I can get it to work. Maybe we can find a way to fix the non-randomness. The top screwed off nicely. I don't see any gaskets between the clear lens and white base unless it fell off when Walter unscrewed it. I am surprised to see that.

Al
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_1291..jpg   -img_1293..jpg   -img_1292..jpg  

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: LED strobe dissection

Thanks for the pics, Al.

I do believe that is one of the CDI LED strobes.

If my old eyes are seeing the board correctly, looks like 3 resistors, 3 caps, 4 diodes, the IC mystery chip, and what looks to be a voltage regulator on the extreme right of the board in the 3rd pic?
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Nope that is a KSP42 NPN transistor. I'm almost done mapping.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

It is one the CDI C9 strobes.

I have the C7 version, and it looks similar, probably with less LEDs. On mine, it looks like there an O ring or a gasket between the cover and the white base.

Is the chip a 555 timer chip perhaps?
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post
    Nope that is a KSP42 NPN transistor. I'm almost done mapping.
    OK, hmm, look forward to your schematic, to see how they used that high voltage transistor.

That TO92 case did look similar to a LM2931 or similar voltage regulator lol
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'm going to have to post a hand drawn schematic since the Microsoft folks keep changing operating systems and my schematic capture program is millenniums old. That sucks. I am almost done with the reverse engineering but a couple things don't make sense, so I am going to finish it tomorrow when I find my magnifying glasses:
    http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...bCategoryName=

John the base of the transistor is being fired from pin 6 of the chip which makes it impossible to be a 555. I'm thinking ASIC or a simple op amp chip at this point. The power and ground pins are reversed from a 555 too. However, the 555 is bassackwards from normal chips. As soon as I post the schematics and possible fix it will be broadcast all over the world because these things are plentiful, super easy to open, and repair. No kidding. So, I want to be 100% sure that I am correct. I may run this past the engineer folks on the forum first. Let's just say that the problem is that the manufacturer used too tight a tolerance on components for a RC circuit. Crappy components would have been just what it needed.

Mark, Walter or myself could have lost the gasket. William, does any of your other strobes have a gasket between the clear lens and the white base? If so, a xenon version would mean the end to Darryl's strobes. For a couple reasons. The metal electrical contact base is potted for strength and weather-ability and the gasket means a pressure and weather-tight seal both of which Darryl's strobes continue to be a major problem. We may have a good, long term solution in the works.
    Last edited by Al in Raleigh; 02-24-2010 at 07:34 AM. Reason: not a tank circuit. duhh

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh;4558

[U
    because these things are plentiful, super easy to open[/U] and repair. You forgot to mention CHEAP as compared to the CLS strobes

Mark, Walter or myself could have lost the gasket. William, does any of your other strobes have a gasket between the clear lens and the white base? If so, a xenon version would mean the end to Darryl's strobes. For a couple reasons. The metal electrical contact base is potted for strength and weather-ability and the gasket means a pressure and weather-tight seal both of which Darryl's strobes continue to be a major problem. We may have a good, long term solution in the works.
    I ordered some of Paul's new xenon strobes this year. If they are from the same mfg as the LED strobes, and with the same or similar case and base construction, we might really have a winner. Although I am happy with these LED units since I didn't loose any this year.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

wbottomley

It's a CDI's strobe light.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I have the gasket do you need it??