Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default firmware update

Do I have to update my firmware? I have upgraded to the latest version of LOR and have 2 showtime controllers 1 mp3 controller and 5 PC controllers. I haven't updated the firmware on anything! To be truthful, I just returned from my dad's funeral and began throwing lights and controllers out in the yard and forgot about updating anything! I hate to drag them all back in the house again.

Thanks,
    Robin

wbottomley

Default Re: firmware update

Don't panic... you can update them in the yard.

What version of firmware are you running, not software?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

To be truthful, I don't even know what version I am running. (I am a dunce at everything but plugging in my lights!) 2 of my controllers are new this year. The 2 showtime controllers are from last year, and the others are all from the year before that. I have never updated anything! Since time is a problem for me right now, can I:

1. run the show from my mp3 controller without updating any firmware, or:
    2. update my firmare after all the controllers are connected even though I have many different controllers?

Thanks again for the help!

wbottomley

You can run them as they are but probably can't use a shimmer or twinkle fade.

But if you want those features, update your controllers to version 4.32. If your new ones have 4.40, then, those will be fine too.

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Hi Robin,

The software changes have been plentiful but most firmware changes are for support of other stuff. Don't sweat this stuff. Put the stuff in the yard and if it does something really, really weird then update the firmware. Or you could blame it on John like I did. He's out of state so what do we care? As a matter of fact, blame everything bad on John and Dave preferably Dave.

Oh my I got a few minutes and boy did I get some pay back time for John and Dave--more to come.

Seriously Robin, if you can't make it go PM me and one of us local folks will help you. And I assure you that it won't be John or Dave.

Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

If you need help just let me know
    Walter

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Walter, you are an outstanding man.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks so very much you guys! You are the best! I am blessed to have a giant street light that sits in my yard (NOT), but it makes those fades and twinkles pointless!

Walter, thanks so very much of your offer of help - I think I will be okay. My teenage sons are going to help me today (a bribe since they invited all their friends on Friday to watch the lights.)

And sometime in all of this mess, I will shop for Thanksgiving, make pies, change beds for company coming in tonight - blah, blah, blah!

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Robin -

the firmware update procedure is listed towards the back of the user manual. You may have received hard copies with your controllers but the manuals are also online in the Support section of the LOR website (with the firmware). It is a simple process once you download the latest file. The dowloads are listed by model.

Everyone -

I am pleased to see that LOR allows updating firmware while all controllers are connected. I was anticipating the worst .. but thankfully the controllers can be selected one at a time ! At this point I would not be happy if I had to connect one at a time with the others removed. I just got them all going this week.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 !

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

wbottomley

Oh yea Denny! I agree 100%

With 34 of those things in the yard, the camper would not be happy, lol.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Speaking of anoying street lights. I've read that if you rig up a red laser pointer, or such, to point to the light's sensor it will turn the street light off, Just put the laser on a timer or use a channel of LOR to control it.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Waxhaw Larry View Post
    Speaking of anoying street lights. I've read that if you rig up a red laser pointer, or such, to point to the light's sensor it will turn the street light off, Just put the laser on a timer or use a channel of LOR to control it.
    As a Property and Casualty Insurance Agent ( 30 plus years), I would not advise doing this.

The city traffic engineer spec'ed where street lights should be, and if you disable one, and an accident happened or someone is injured, you would be liable for all the damages.

Just remember, traffic in this area will increase because of the display, and many people may be out of their cars on foot.

Just something to consider.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    As a Property and Casualty Insurance Agent ( 30 plus years), I would not advise doing this.

The city traffic engineer spec'ed where street lights should be, and if you disable one, and an accident happened or someone is injured, you would be liable for all the damages.

Just remember, traffic in this area will increase because of the display, and many people may be out of their cars on foot.

Just something to consider.
    How about if the streetlight is at the end of my driveway - not the street end, but my yard end? Does it still count?

John, I know you're talking about street lights that are actually on the street, and not the utility light that I've got in my yard (that I pay Duke Power every month for...), but I had to ask...

Mark
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

No Mark, your private security light is entirley different then a "public municipal" street light.

Happy Thanksgiving!
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs