Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Enclosure venting and cooling

Do people in or around North Carolina put vents and or fans in controller and power supply enclosures?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Enclosure venting and cooling

I think people have used small muffin fans pointing down in the past. But it's not real common. I've not had to do it. What config are you concerned about?
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Just checking because I see people doing it on the forums. I understand living in south Florida could be an issue.
    Specifically I was wondering about pixel stuff. Specifically, 2 12V power supplies in a CG-1500 enclosure or a CG-1500 with 1 power supply and pixel controller.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post
    Just checking because I see people doing it on the forums. I understand living in south Florida could be an issue.
    Specifically I was wondering about pixel stuff. Specifically, 2 12V power supplies in a CG-1500 enclosure or a CG-1500 with 1 power supply and pixel controller.
    We've had some 70 degree days in the past. You have a good point. For hot weather we should have a cooling plan. I suPpose I'd have to throw a bag over my controllers and open the door if it was hot but raining. Share some designs if you have some .. This is a good topic and I don't recall TASL addressing it in any of our meetings. Would be a good discussion topic with examples for the August TASL meeting.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Here are 2 recent forums about it.
    I like jnealand approach using battery box. It's cheap and has natural vents. I have a couple and they are about the same size as his pictured.
    Review of enclosure idea

Reply 7 is the standard approach with 60 mm fan and 2" soffit vent. Others use a 4" soffit vent and 120mm fan. Some just use the vents with no fan.
    Mounting

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I like the battery box approach. Of course they are not really venting the air, just stirring it up. I assume since the battery boxes are designed to allow fresh air in, there must be enough airflow to cool the controllers. Probably not nearly as much as with a fan pushing the air out, but certainly a step up from using closed up CG1500 cases (as most of us are doing). Good stuff !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Official Lurker ronald.emery.18's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Here's a good way to vent enclosures.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...2&share_type=t
    Can the CG-1500 Enclosure Be Improved?