Thread: Generic Pixel extender - interested???

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Generic Pixel extender - interested???

Generic Pixel Extender

Anyone want to get a few of these to test?

Frank

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Generic Pixel extender - interested???

If you get one don't forget you need a receiver board to convert the signal back for pixel connection. I like the idea but can't wrap my head around how you define the universe that this extends because his receiver boards can have 1-4 pixel outputs. I understand just extending 1 3-wire pixel strong run because your controller setup would be the same and this is just another thing for the data to pass through. But how do you then split that into multiple elements at the receiver board?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post
    If you get one don't forget you need a receiver board to convert the signal back for pixel connection. I like the idea but can't wrap my head around how you define the universe that this extends because his receiver boards can have 1-4 pixel outputs. I understand just extending 1 3-wire pixel string run because your controller setup would be the same and this is just another thing for the data to pass through. But how do you then split that into multiple elements at the receiver board?
    A very good question. I'd like to see a diagram of the whole solution and how these fit in. It looks like these are very specific to his gear.

I'd like to know of some cheap DIY generic pixel extenders that can be used with any pixel output from any controller.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    A very good question. I'd like to see a diagram of the whole solution and how these fit in. It looks like these are very specific to his gear.

I'd like to know of some cheap DIY generic pixel extenders that can be used with any pixel output from any controller.
    They are no specific to his gear. that is why he titled it as GENERIC. ;-)

Let me know if you want a two to try out and I will add it to my order of boards from OSHPark.

thanks!

Frank

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I couldn't find the info but have you seen how it works using the 4 connector receiver board? How much are the extender parts and receiver parts? I don't really need one with a Falcon controller that already can do 100 feet no problem but for a few bucks I might get one.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I think I'll wait a while. I just bought a bunch of resistor banks for Sandevices E68x to beef up the output. Between that and moving to multiple Pi computers (wireless) I may not need the extra drive. But I think these are awesome. And all set up to use cat-5 cable for pixel wires (and save $$$). I look forward to hearing how these work out !

BTW - if any Sandevices E682 users need to drive longer pixel wires, I have resistor banks that you can plug in. Apparently the E6804 is not able to replace the resistor banks, but it already can drive longer lines. I saw posts from people claiming 35 ft with E6804.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control
    Thanks FrankP thanked for this post
    Likes FrankP liked this post