Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default FPP networking setup

Hello CC members. I wanted to start this thread in hopes of having a place for people to go for networking advice. This would apply to most peoples setup independent of running FPP or not. I have only a basic understanding of networking so much of this stuff is making my head spin. I also want to apologize because I havenít gotten the controller or pixels in the mail yet to just plug it in and test.
    For anyone interested in setting up a Raspberry PI network using only wireless check out this post on FalconChristmas.com FPP WiFi Setup (Originally Master + Remotes + WiFi How-To)

My issue is coming from the fact that I want to run 2 of PIs over wireless and 2 by cat5 cable. I will upload a picture once, I draw it out neatly. This network will be on my home internet router. My master PI will connect to my router inside my house via wifi. I want the Master PI to send 3-4 Cat5 cables to a F16V2 and 1-2 LOR controllers. I also want it to send data packets over wifi to remote PI #1 , #2 and #3 . Remote #1 is going to connect via Cat5 to a LOR/Lynx controller. Remote #2 will have a PI Hat driving pixels, Remote #3 will have a PI Hat driving pixels and sending data over Cat5 to a nearby LOR/Lynx controller. If it is not possible to drive pixels off the hat (300 pixels) and send data out RJ45 then I want to split the data coming out of RJ45 into 2 Cat5 wires (1 to LOR, 1 to pixel controller). I could also use only 1 Pi Hat if it will drive my 900 pixels (that will be tested later).

FPP question: Iím pretty sure I just change the network settings in FPP to send appropriate signal, but can you use both eth0 and wlan0 to send data from the same Master PI? If I need to get a bridge or another PI to act as a bridge that is fine.

My first hardware question:
    1) I want a hub to passively repeat my signal coming from the Cat5 out of my Master PI. The term hub and switch get used interchangeably, even thought they are technically different. I have this "switch" will it function as a hub? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1
    2) How many hubs can you daisy chain together before you kill the signal or need to boost it over the Cat5? I would only do 2 at this point in time. Can you use a 4 port hub and then plug another 4 port hub together so you get 3 free ports on hub1 and 4 free ports on hub2?

For technical answers I will gladly meet someone somewhere and go over this stuff in exchange for some type of payment, be it a case of beer or something else.

Eric

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: FPP networking setup

Here is the picture.
    -network-layout.jpg

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I appreciate the link. I would like to run a Pi Master, one wireless Pi remote and one wireless BBB remote. I'll let Joe or someone with more experience answer you question about connecting the Pi players. But it should be OK from what I can see. Of course .. coming up with the right IP addresses is another story ..

One problem I see with your drawing is how you plan to connect the LOR(s) to each Pi. You show them connected by eth0 but you cannot connect Ethernet to a LOR or a Lynx.

For the LOR you can either use a LOR adapter on a Pi USB port, or you can use a DMX adapter (with a crossover adapter cable). The DMX adapter can be a USB type or it can be an Ethernet type (pixel controller with DMX or E1.31 DMX adapters). The crossover cable is needed for the LOR boxes because standard LOR signalling is not on the same Cat-5 wires as DMX. There is a specific cable that you need to make up to connect the LOR(s). I have not tried this yet, so I still need to learn whether each LOR must have the cable mod for DMX, or just the first one .. followed by standard cables. I think you only need one crossover cable and you have to label it good so it does not get mixed up, and also so it does not get plugged with the wrong end to the LOR side.

For the Lynx Express you still need a DMX signal, so the answer is the same as described above for the LOR, except you don't need a modified crossover cable.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Oops I forgot about the LOR protocol. I will fix that and update the picture. Do we know the distance DMX will travel? Can I run DMX signal from my Falcon controller 100 ft to a DMX controller?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I really feel you are making your setup more complex than needed. Einstein said make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
    If you want, given your close proximity, I'd be glad to get together to lay this all out.

How many LOR controllers do you have? You're listing a LOR 1, 2, and 3. Each one can run six 16 channel controllers. 96 channels per Pi. So you are either listing 288 AC channels - or - it's a convenience thing and that is fine.

In your diagram your LOR #1 will need to be run in DMX mode and require a crossover cable since it is being driven off a controller.

You can't currently define e1.31 output for both eth0 and wlan0.

1 Pi hat can drive 1,000+ pixels depending on the Pi. The threads at Falcon Christmas have proven this but it will require power injection beyond 100 pixels.

If I don't work on taxes and our master bedroom closet / bath plans this weekend my wife will shoot me. I'm building both myself this spring. If you hold knowledge in either of these two areas we can trade data this weekend. Otherwise we can meet up any night next week or the following weekend. I'm here to help.

I always say the best way to learn is to teach.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    The crossover cable is needed for the LOR boxes because standard LOR signalling is not on the same Cat-5 wires as DMX. There is a specific cable that you need to make up to connect the LOR(s). I have not tried this yet, so I still need to learn whether each LOR must have the cable mod for DMX, or just the first one .. followed by standard cables. I think you only need one crossover cable and you have to label it good so it does not get mixed up, and also so it does not get plugged with the wrong end to the LOR side.
    @kidcole you are correct you only need the first LOR to be connected by a crossover cable. Here is a post talking about it, look at #24 . Lor sandevice issues - Page 3

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

@Tripplett, I would love to meet up sometime early this week. I will PM you.

To clarify my setup. I will be using 3 AC controllers (48 channels) and 1-2 pixels controllers. I already own 1 LOR and I plan to get either 2 more LOR or 2 Lynx controllers. I ordered the new Falcon F16V2R which has 3 ports for DMX output, actually 4 ports but only 3 work for LOR stuff. I will have 1 remote Pi connected via WIFI driving a LOR controller using the USB485 so I don't have to run cable across my driveway or up over the garage. The other 2 AC controllers are on the opposite side of the house and they are separated by about 100 feet from each other. This is why my original drawing had the master driving the first controller (which is wrong) and a remote #2 driving the second controller. The reason remote Pi #2 with the PiHat was connected via WIFI was so I didn't have to run cat5 cable across an area of my yard that becomes a river in heavy rain. I have decided that I will just feed the Cat5 through a garden hose for extra water proofing and make it a wired connection between these 2 AC controllers or individually from the F16V2R DMX outputs (using a crossover cable).

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Eric for the last 5 years i have run cat 5 outside on top of the ground with no issues i even had one suspended on a 1/8 cable across my drive way. as long as the outer insulation is not split it will not hurt it i do use cable rated for outside use.Iam hoping to run 3 pis this year driving 144 ac channels waiting on batteries now for the rasclock for my master.
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Hers a video John Storms made about setting up fpp on his network.
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com
    Thanks FrankP thanked for this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post
    @Tripplett, I would love to meet up sometime early this week. I will PM you.

To clarify my setup. I will be using 3 AC controllers (48 channels) and 1-2 pixels controllers. I already own 1 LOR and I plan to get either 2 more LOR or 2 Lynx controllers. I ordered the new Falcon F16V2R which has 3 ports for DMX output, actually 4 ports but only 3 work for LOR stuff. I will have 1 remote Pi connected via WIFI driving a LOR controller using the USB485 so I don't have to run cable across my driveway or up over the garage. The other 2 AC controllers are on the opposite side of the house and they are separated by about 100 feet from each other. This is why my original drawing had the master driving the first controller (which is wrong) and a remote #2 driving the second controller. The reason remote Pi #2 with the PiHat was connected via WIFI was so I didn't have to run cat5 cable across an area of my yard that becomes a river in heavy rain. I have decided that I will just feed the Cat5 through a garden hose for extra water proofing and make it a wired connection between these 2 AC controllers or individually from the F16V2R DMX outputs (using a crossover cable).
    I looks you have a good handle on this. I'm assuming the router in your diagram is your home wifi router. So your FPP show timing sync data will be wireless on your home network and your e1.31 and LOR show data will be wired. All that should be fine. As a bonus your Pi's will get the time/date from the Internet and you can update them from your home show of easily.

You can run that second wireless Pi or the 100 ft cat 5, either should work fine. And as mentioned as long as the outer cover is good there should be no problems with weather. No need to use a garden hose if you don't want to.

For your AC channels I would lean toward the Lynx controllers if you haven't bought them yet. They are cheaper up front and you don't have the hustle of crossover cables. Even cheaper if you were also buying more 485 USB dongles for the LOR controllers. When @kidcole starts switching to one Lynx controllers it must be good. Just my .02

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

So I have updated my picture with the IP addresses that I will set to be static. Every PI will connect via wifi to my home internet router (Netgear R6250) and all data is sent out over eth0 connection to controllers. Do my numbers look correct? Here was my thought process. Keep wlan0 on 192.168.1.(151-200). Make the eth0 on the Pi's equal to switching the last 2 octets (stole idea from FPP site) 192.168.(151-200).1 and the 4th octet be the individual controllers. If you have a better/more logical way of doing it, I am all ears. Am I correct that the Lynx controllers need an IP address but the LOR USB 485 does not? Should I switch my eth0 addresses to the 10.0.0.###?
    -network-layout.jpg
    Thanks,
    Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -network-layout.jpg  

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post
    So I have updated my picture with the IP addresses that I will set to be static. Every PI will connect via wifi to my home internet router (Netgear R6250) and all data is sent out over eth0 connection to controllers. Do my numbers look correct? Here was my thought process. Keep wlan0 on 192.168.1.(151-200). Make the eth0 on the Pi's equal to switching the last 2 octets (stole idea from FPP site) 192.168.(151-200).1 and the 4th octet be the individual controllers. If you have a better/more logical way of doing it, I am all ears. Am I correct that the Lynx controllers need an IP address but the LOR USB 485 does not? Should I switch my eth0 addresses to the 10.0.0.###?
    -network-layout.jpg
    Thanks,
    Eric
    I've not heard of assigning IP addresses to either LOR or Lynx Express. The LOR is addressed by it's unit number that you assign in the LOR software. Since you only have one, set it to unit 1 and you will have channels 1 through 16. They Lynx are addressed as DMX devices, so each controller needs to know it's DMX starting address. You just set that manually on the display inside the box.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    I've not heard of assigning IP addresses to either LOR or Lynx Express. The LOR is addressed by it's unit number that you assign in the LOR software. Since you only have one, set it to unit 1 and you will have channels 1 through 16. They Lynx are addressed as DMX devices, so each controller needs to know it's DMX starting address. You just set that manually on the display inside the box.
    Denny,

It looks like the Falcon 16v2 is acting as a E1.31 bridge and allowing you to assign an IP address to the downstream DMX ports that are the Lynx EXPRESS controllers. I really need to learn more about that controller. Seems to do just about everything you could ever want.

Frank

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

That's partly why I got it. It has 4 DMX out ports but only 3 work with Lynx the other one is specific to Renard or pixel net, I don't remember. Doesn't lose pixel ports to function as a DMX bridge like e682. The IP address stuff is likely wrong as @kidcole said. I still have to watch the Falcon videos showing how to set it up.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

It looks like you are on track. I prefer to do 192.168.1.x for my home and 10.0.0.x for my show but that is only so they don't even look similar. I don't want to be confused. All you need is a different 3rd octet to divide it. That could be 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x or, like me, 10.0.0.x. It's all personal preference. I believe @kidcole is right on the addressing. You'll just assign them a DMX address, not an IP address.