Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Raspberry Pi TIPS/TRICKS/HOW-TO's

1. Creating a shutdown button: Raspberry Pi shutdown/reboot button - IoT and other "things"
    A similar approach: https://www.element14.com/community/...raspberry-pi-b

2. Raspberry Pi Magazine PDF's of full magazine: https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/issues/

3. Adding a real time clock to the Raspberry Pi: https://www.modmypi.com/blog/install...eal-time-clock
    * Amazon: Amazon.com: rasclock: Electronics
    Last edited by FrankP; 03-05-2016 at 09:07 PM.
    Thanks scottmcl thanked for this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Raspberry Pi TIPS/TRICKS/HOW-TO's

I guess that I can't edit this post after the first day. Anything I can do to change that, or do I need different account permissions?

PLEASE ADD ANY HOW TO's / TIPS / References to this thread for the RaspBerry Pi.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Interesting MOD to add USB ports to a Raspberry Pi Zero.

Raspberry Pi Zero USB Hub Mod With Case - Blog | Circuitbeard

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

frank i have never understood why someone would want to kill power without shutting it down from the interface every time i have just killed the power the os files gets curupeted
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com
    Likes FrankP liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by mpurser View Post
    frank i have never understood why someone would want to kill power without shutting it down from the interface every time i have just killed the power the os files gets curupeted
    @FrankP - I would like to know the difference between the alternatives. These are the ones I would like to compare:

1. Use a shutdown command. Does this exist and does it also completely close the pi ?
    2. Use this shutdown switch mod. Is this a clean shutdown or just crash the pi ?
    3. Removing AC power from the wall wart (power supply). Does this have the same effect as number 2 above or does this cause more harm ?
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

@mpurser I agree! But some people do...

@kidcole 1. Yes, shutdown is there, but you need CLI access to do it. The button MOD/HACK is a quick way to achieve a proper shutdown.
    2. It is a clean shutdown. Follow the link... it provides the Python script that is monitoring the GPIO pins, then runs shutdown once the pin is grounded through a button or switch.
    3. DO NOT UNPLUG without a proper shutdown. You are at a VERY high risk of corrupting the SD card (file system).

My $.02

Frank

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by FrankP View Post
    @mpurser I agree! But some people do...

@kidcole 1. Yes, shutdown is there, but you need CLI access to do it. The button MOD/HACK is a quick way to achieve a proper shutdown.
    2. It is a clean shutdown. Follow the link... it provides the Python script that is monitoring the GPIO pins, then runs shutdown once the pin is grounded through a button or switch.
    3. DO NOT UNPLUG without a proper shutdown. You are at a VERY high risk of corrupting the SD card (file system).

My $.02

Frank
    A lot more than $.02 worth @FrankP ! Excellent info. So there is merit to having a proper shut down. But that brings on the next level of the same question:

If I am running several Pi players (including one BBB), and they are spread around my yard, I would want a way to automatically shut them all down via a script. But the more I think about it, this should be something the FPP should tackle. Otherwise we would all have to lot separately into each Pi and tell it to shut down. Or worse, we would have to physically access each Pi in the yard (on the roof and in the trees) to shut them down every night. I am not liking that too well. Your thoughts ?

Also think about the guys with 20 or 30 Pi players. Or hundreds of them.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control
    Thanks mpurser thanked for this post

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

FWIW, we have a problem with corrupted file systems on some servers in New York that repeated had their power interrupted. They were somehow overlooked being put on the battery rails, and were running on AC. The site does bi-weekly generator testing; most of the time the servers would recover, but not always. They finally started alerting us before they would start the testing, so we could log in and run the shutdown script. Finally got them converted from AC to DC power supplies, so they're now running on the batteries in the central office. But......it looks like we have to re-format the drives and reload everything, due to corruption. Not going to be something easy to do remotely. At least for a $20K server (x 6) it does support remote OS reloading. A lot of effort to recover from removing power without doing a proper shutdown.

Shut your systems down before removing power. They may only be < $80 but still they're important to you.
    Likes FrankP liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    A lot more than $.02 worth @<b><a href="http://www.christmascarolina.com/forums/members/frankp.html" target="_blank">FrankP</a></b> ! Excellent info. So there is merit to having a proper shut down. But that brings on the next level of the same question:

If I am running several Pi players (including one BBB), and they are spread around my yard, I would want a way to automatically shut them all down via a script. But the more I think about it, this should be something the FPP should tackle. Otherwise we would all have to lot separately into each Pi and tell it to shut down. Or worse, we would have to physically access each Pi in the yard (on the roof and in the trees) to shut them down every night. I am not liking that too well. Your thoughts ?

Also think about the guys with 20 or 30 Pi players. Or hundreds of them.
    You have a few options here:

1. Create a CRON job on each device and tell it to shutdown at a specific time.
    2. Create a script on another system to perform shutdowns at a scheduled time (again through CRON).

Links of interest:

How to safely shutdown or reboot your raspberry pi – RasPi.TV

raspbmc - How do I restart Raspberry Pi from a remote system? - Raspberry Pi Stack Exchange

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

@Tripplett did you ever shut your Pi down during Christmas season?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks @FrankP .. and also thanks to @Jack Stevens. I agree that we all should be shutting them down. But with FPP touting a theoretical 4000 pi players on one Christmas display .. it sure seems like shut down is something they should be handling for us. I think we should post this on FalconChristmas.com .. Then we can get their take on the importance of shutting down and powering off.h
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Raspberry Pi TIPS/TRICKS/HOW-TO's

Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post
    @Tripplett did you ever shut your Pi down during Christmas season?
    No I left it up 24/7. There's no reason to shut it down in my humble opinion. If I needed to I would log into FPP and hit the shutdown button, easy. I'm not sure why you guys are making this so complex. Granted I didn't have 3 or more Pi's last year but I really see no reason to shut them down.

If we raise this to Falcon Christmas I'm sure they could add some type of option to shut down the remotes from the master.
    Likes scottmcl liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I agree with @Tripplett. Having a button on the Pi would be a decent mod in case you were in the yard and wanted to shut one down without going to the computer. But, why do you care about shutting them all down with a script? You wouldn't be able to start them with a script, you would still have to go to the actual Pi and unplug and plug back in. I'm guessing most of the show computers are left on the entire season. The only thing that a computer has over a Pi is cooling fans, which could be added to the Pi enclosure for $5.

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplett View Post
    No I left it up 24/7. There's no reason to shut it down in my humble opinion. If I needed to I would log into FPP and hit the shutdown button, easy. I'm not sure why you guys are making this so complex. Granted I didn't have 3 or more Pi's last year but I really see no reason to shut them down.

If we raise this to Falcon Christmas I'm sure they could add some type of option to shut down the remotes from the master.
    Do you guys ever shut down your Windows based show computer? I know I never did. Unless there were issues. A quick reboot was easy. Should be the same with the Pi and FPP by using the commands available in the browser based interface. I seem to remember seeing that in the demo last weekend.
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by scottmcl View Post
    Do you guys ever shut down your Windows based show computer? I know I never did. Unless there were issues. A quick reboot was easy. Should be the same with the Pi and FPP by using the commands available in the browser based interface. I seem to remember seeing that in the demo last weekend.
    I did not shut down Windows but I did Hibernate every night. For reasons similar to what Jack mentioned. I didn't want the system to crash or be attacked by a Virus. My computer was not on the internet during the show. The next day if I was using the computer, then I went on the internet. Of course the Pi is running entirely solid state, so there's no disk to crash. I'll probably be OK with the Pi(s) running full time. I think I'll be running 3 of them, including a BBB.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole