Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Raspberry Pi HAT hardware

Intro video:

Pre-order on Crockett Fantasy Lights: https://www.crockettfantasyoflights....l-pihat-rev-b/

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Raspberry Pi HAT hardware

I hope these can also run on the Pi 3, even tho the seller only claims the board is for the Pi Model B+ @Tripplett - will these work on the Pi that we bought (Canakit) ? I get confused on all the different Pi versions.

Is anyone buying some of these? I am thinking I would like to have 3 of them ... pending a final decision after we chat about them here. I can pick them up at your place. I don't need that many right now but these things are probably easy to sell if I don't use them. $13 plus shipping is pretty good. They can run 2 universes total. 170 pixels on each of the two outputs. Of course you cannot run 170 pixels without power injection but you can at least run 100 per output. I am amazed that this little board can handle 15 amp output power !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    I hope these can also run on the Pi 3, even tho the seller only claims the board is for the Pi Model B+ @Tripplett - will these work on the Pi that we bought (Canakit) ? I get confused on all the different Pi versions.

Is anyone buying some of these? I am thinking I would like to have 3 of them ... pending a final decision after we chat about them here. I can pick them up at your place. I don't need that many right now but these things are probably easy to sell if I don't use them. $13 plus shipping is pretty good. They can run 2 universes total. 170 pixels on each of the two outputs. Of course you cannot run 170 pixels without power injection but you can at least run 100 per output. I am amazed that this little board can handle 15 amp output power !
    Yea it says on the page that it will work with the B+ and the Pi2. The GPIO header is the same on the Pi3 as the others so my guess is it will work. It came out obviously after they set up that web page.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Tripplett did you understand if 12v pixels would work if PI is powered by its own source?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post
    Tripplett did you understand if 12v pixels would work if PI is powered by its own source?
    Yes, if you tie the grounds together you can power the Pi with its own 5v power and the pixels with 12v. Tie the 12v power supplies ground back to the pixel outputs ground. Actually this would work with 24v like my floodlights as well.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Anybody buying some of these ?
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Good I was trying to avoid buying 5v pixels if I didn't have to.
    I'm in for 2 or 3.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Pay close attention to this post and the second link with the results. Looks like the Pi will drive 4-5 universes in the near future with the PiHat.
    Pixel PiHat rev. B group buy

pixel limits for rpi 281x on board support

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I am interested... but we are 6 months out from lockdown for my show and hardware will change fast this year for sure. I am focusing on what lights I want and where right now. Later this year I will decide how to drive them. It's an exciting time in Christmas lighting for sure.

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplett View Post
    I am interested... but we are 6 months out from lockdown for my show and hardware will change fast this year for sure. I am focusing on what lights I want and where right now. Later this year I will decide how to drive them. It's an exciting time in Christmas lighting for sure.
    I am in this boat, too. Not sure how I'm going to drive everything yet. It sounds like several options are forthcoming. And a couple pieces will add extra options possibly, too. Plus all the LOR I have to keep in the mix... I'll know more after this weekend, but might not be ready to pull the trigger yet.
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Wow .. they are testing a ton more than two universes .. I'm in for two of these if someone wants to order for the group.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    Anybody buying some of these ?
    Denny,

I have two on order and would be glad to start a group buy if anyone is in interested.

Frank

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I would rather have one of the ones Cpt Murdoch mentioned in the first link - I've copied the text below. Having a RTC and DMX out is a big plus in my opinion. As long as it can drive the same high pixel counts...

"I don't want to detract from sales of this board but want to let users know of options so they can make sure they get a board with the functionality they need. Ron has also created a hat for the Pi which has two ws281x outputs, a RTC, a rj45 for serial output for DMX or PixelNet, and a power regulator so the board and pixels can be powered by higher than 12V. I am not sure if he will do a group buy or just offer the board design for users to get made. Both of these boards are great options for FPP users running on a Pi and will allow FPP to fit into even more places and uses."

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplett View Post
    I would rather have one of the ones Cpt Murdoch mentioned in the first link - I've copied the text below. Having a RTC and DMX out is a big plus in my opinion. As long as it can drive the same high pixel counts...

Ron has also created a hat for the Pi which has two ws281x outputs, a RTC, a rj45 for serial output for DMX or PixelNet, and a power regulator so the board and pixels can be powered by higher than 12V. I am not sure if he will do a group buy or just offer the board design for users to get made. Both of these boards are great options for FPP users running on a Pi and will allow FPP to fit into even more places and uses."
    Do you have a direct link to what Ron has done?

Thanks,

Frank

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

No I don't know what Ron he was referring to. I will make a reply to the thread over there.
    Thanks FrankP thanked for this post