Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Raspberry Pi HAT hardware

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplett View Post
    I would rather have one of the ones Cpt Murdoch mentioned in the first link - I've copied the text below. Having a RTC and DMX out is a big plus in my opinion. As long as it can drive the same high pixel counts...

"I don't want to detract from sales of this board but want to let users know of options so they can make sure they get a board with the functionality they need. Ron has also created a hat for the Pi which has two ws281x outputs, a RTC, a rj45 for serial output for DMX or PixelNet, and a power regulator so the board and pixels can be powered by higher than 12V. I am not sure if he will do a group buy or just offer the board design for users to get made. Both of these boards are great options for FPP users running on a Pi and will allow FPP to fit into even more places and uses."
    Interesting stuff. I agree with you. Having a wireless remote DMX along with some pixels is enormous. Perhaps we wait to see where this goes. It's still early in the year. I will put my 2 pcs of this board on hold.

Although ..... I use a simple circuit on a 1" by 1" board that converts any pixelnet to DMX. It uses a RS485 8 pin chip plus about 3 components, and 5v. Since I use the e681 controllers that didn't have the DMX plug on them (forerunner to the E682), I needed my own DMX out. I have been running all my DMX devices using two of these circuits. They just sit inside the case with my pixel controllers. I'll try to remember to take a picture of it and post it here ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by FrankP View Post
    Denny,

I have two on order and would be glad to start a group buy if anyone is in interested.

Frank
    Frank, is there any way you could add 1 more to your order so I don't have to pay all the shipping?
    I am in agreement with Joe and Denny, the real exciting feature is being able to control my LOR wirelessly (my driveway is the problem) but also adding a couple small pixel elements without the $100 pixel controller. As it stands right now I will have a wireless Pi on 1 side of my house controlling a LOR so my only additional expense is the PiHat.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post
    Frank, is there any way you could add 1 more to your order so I don't have to pay all the shipping?
    I am in agreement with Joe and Denny, the real exciting feature is being able to control my LOR wirelessly (my driveway is the problem) but also adding a couple small pixel elements without the $100 pixel controller. As it stands right now I will have a wireless Pi on 1 side of my house controlling a LOR so my only additional expense is the PiHat.
    I suppose if @FrankP can add 1 for you .. I'll also buy one. The latest tests are showing enormous capacity.

@EricR (or anyone else who might not know this) - - if you want to automatically let people know you are responding to them ... put an @ sign in front of their CC username. They will get a mention message.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Raspberry Pi HAT hardware

Here is the link to the board Capt Murdock was mentioning... I like this one better but I'd go in on one of the other ones just because it's only like $13 and this one is uncertain just yet. I really feel we will get a better understanding by summer what is available.

PI SPI to pixels WS281x

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

i will be bringing 3 pis and three rs485 bs with me we will see how this works with muiltible pis i also have a driveway to jump im also bringing one of lors new controllers
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Pi HAT has been updated to REV C., which includes a RTC and 12V to 5V dc/dc converter. Looking better all the time.

https://www.crockettfantasyoflights....ategory/pihat/

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Pi HAT has been updated to REV C., which includes a RTC and 12V to 5V dc/dc converter. Looking better all the time.

Very nice indeed. Now to decide if I want to buy the deluxe at $25 with everything or just get the $13 and add the 12v converter. Since mine will more than likely be Remotes to a Pi Master they don't need the time. I can save some $ by just getting the $4.30 converter from Mouser or the converters I already picked up from Amazon for a bit more at $7.81. I think I just talked myself into a few of the standard ones.

Introduction to the Pixel PiHat RevC design

Here it is with the distribution boards we bought.
    Thanks FrankP thanked for this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Along those lines for the networking gurus. Is it bad to have 4 of the same wifi dongles on 4 different Pis? Will they interfere with each other?
    Also is there a way to test the internet connection on the wireless PIs even if it involves plugging in a monitor? My phone has good signal using speed test in the location of the PI but unsure of the PI signal.
    Last edited by EricR; 03-17-2016 at 07:45 PM.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Along those lines for the networking gurus. Is it bad to have 4 of the same wifi dongles on 4 different Pis? Will they interfere with each other?
    Also is there a way to test the internet connection on the wireless PIs even if it involves plugging in a monitor? My phone has good signal using speed test in the location of the PI but unsure of the PI signal.
    I believe you could have RF conflict with them being that close to each other. What type of WiFi B/G/N/AC ? Limited number of channels available.

My other concern would be power draw using 4.

Frank

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I have 2 Edimax adaptors ( Edimax EW-7811Un 150Mbps 11n Wi-Fi USB Adapter). Should I just get 2 different adaptors for the next 2 PIs? It will be 4 PIs at the max. Maybe only 3. What do you mean by power draw? From the USB port?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I have 2 Edimax adaptors ( Edimax EW-7811Un 150Mbps 11n Wi-Fi USB Adapter). Should I just get 2 different adaptors for the next 2 PIs? It will be 4 PIs at the max. Maybe only 3. What do you mean by power draw? From the USB port?
    I think FrankP may have thought you meant more than one wifi adapter on the same Pi. Actually he said RF so he may be talking about on different Pis. I'll let him reply on that.

You can run any mix of wifi adapters on your FPPs. For RF I don't think they will be close enough to interfere with each other. I have 3 Pis in this office with me right now. Two are running an EdiMax and one is running a Detroit Electronics dongle. While the EdiMax ones work just fine if you haven't bought one yet I like the Detroit Electronics one better with it's external antenna.
    Detroit Electronics - Amazon.com: Wifi With Antenna For Raspberry Pi - Instructions Included - PLUG and PLAY: Computers & Accessories

If you can open up the FPP web page on a Pi then you can see it's wifi signal. Go into Help > Troubleshooting Commands. The page will take from 10-30 seconds to load so be patient. When it does go down 1 page to the Wireless section. In that section look for Signal Level followed by a dBm. The lower the number the better. Mine says Signal level=-46 dBm. The lower the number the better but anything less than 50 is great. Sometimes the EdiMax ones list this as a percentage of 100. So 100/100 means better than -50dBm or it's a 100% signal (as good as it gets). There is more detail to this but I don't want to confuse you.

The image below will help explain -dBm and how that translates to signal strength.
    -3-18-2016-8-27-47-am.jpg
    Last edited by Tripplett; 03-18-2016 at 08:32 AM. Reason: formatting and clarifying the RF question.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Just ordered 3 standard models.
    Likes FrankP liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I think FrankP may have thought you meant more than one wifi adapter on the same Pi. Actually he said RF so he may be talking about on different Pis. I'll let him reply on that.

-3-18-2016-8-27-47-am.jpg
    I misunderstood.... thought Eric was trying to run 4 adapters in the same (single Pi).

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Just ordered 3 standard models.
    I'm going to order at least 1 as well with the buck converter, so I don't have to solder my first Hat, and maybe the 1 standard model. All my stuff is 12v and it would be nice to power each Pi (without a hat) directly from the pixel power supply to eliminate the extra AC plug to power via mini usb. Can the buck converter they use on the Hat be used as inline on the mini usb or do they make such buck converters for that function? The PiHat buck converter has 3 pins which I assume are 12V in, 5V out, and common ground. Or could we do it through GPIO pins?
    Just remembered, do you think we should get the support posts for the hat? They are relatively cheap through Adafruit. I'm not planning on banging this stuff around but just in case I dropped my enclosure with Pi mounted inside.
    Thanks guys,

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'm going to order at least 1 as well with the buck converter, so I don't have to solder my first Hat, and maybe the 1 standard model. All my stuff is 12v and it would be nice to power each Pi (without a hat) directly from the pixel power supply to eliminate the extra AC plug to power via mini usb. Can the buck converter they use on the Hat be used as inline on the mini usb or do they make such buck converters for that function? The PiHat buck converter has 3 pins which I assume are 12V in, 5V out, and common ground. Or could we do it through GPIO pins?
    Just remembered, do you think we should get the support posts for the hat? They are relatively cheap through Adafruit. I'm not planning on banging this stuff around but just in case I dropped my enclosure with Pi mounted inside.
    Thanks guys,
    It sounds like you're asking if you can power the Pi without the hat with one of the buck converters. I haven't thought about that. I know some people have powered the Pi via the GPIO pins and such but just make sure you are careful and use fuses. I think I've seen people also cut off the mini usb and solder it to 5v or buck converters too.

Standoffs would also be good but I'll just build my own or see if Radio Shack has something. If by relatively cheap you mean 12 for a dollar then I'd be happy to go in on some.

Here were the buck converters I bought from Amazon by the way. Amazon.com: Nextrox® Car LED Display Power Supply 12V to 5V 3A DC/DC Buck Converter Module: Electronics
    Thanks FrankP thanked for this post